Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

Ok that’s good to know. We plan to go to the MVP Multicultural reception and Accepted Student Day 2/24-2/25, but honestly wish we knew the financial picture ahead of that because no merit or FA would be a hard no, even if he gets into honors. We can’t afford $50,000 COA for OOS tuition, room and board. We were hoping that being invited to a MVP event where they are paying for the hotel would be a sign that they might entice him with some $ but perhaps not. Acceptance was 1/24.

My son was accepted Nov 15 and merit offer arrive Dec 12. And that was earlier in the admissions cycle. So I would say you can’t know yet for sure.

2 Likes

My son received merit more than two months after acceptance, and received the max merit. So I don’t think people should give up after a few weeks!

However, I agree that the committee stops handing out merit at some point. Not sure if it’s March 1 or another date in March.

2 Likes

Yes… I completely agree and that’s why I said, there are exceptions. (I definitely have seen some) Certainly, it’s going to occur more than the few weeks or so… Of course, don’t give up hope, but we are being realistic. :blush:

1 Like

Hard to swallow that merit aid window is closing! My kid has high stat credentials, and without any merit aid it will not be possible for him to go to Pitt as OOS.

2 Likes

My daughter loves Pitt. One of her top schools, but the most expensive school she’s accepted to. Don’t think she’ll get merit, high stats but so many great students with high or higher stats.

2 Likes

Computer Science?

Our son’s portal was just updated (but not the Document Center) with a $6,000 Panther Pride merit award. There are also loans being offered. No email notification yet. Does anyone know if the letter will explain the math behind these loan amounts? Also, there is no mention of need-based grants. How are families notified about that? FYI - our son applied OOS on Nov. 1 and was accepted Jan. 27.

4 Likes

The loan should just be the regular federal subsidized/unsubsidized student loan. There will be no other loan coming from Pitt (or any other college)
Panther Pride award is need-based, I believe.

2 Likes

where in portal are you seeing that?

You can find the details of the loan here … Federal Student Aid

Since you are OOS, I think you get Federal loan only. Do you see any non-federal loans listed?

1 Like

Login to my.Pitt.edu.
Then go to “PeopleSoft/HighPoint CX”.
Then click " View Financial Aid" under “Financials”

3 Likes

Does the offer detail the total cost of attendance? For me, it just lists the merit and financial aid offer (just loans) with no information on what I’m going to be actually paying without aid/merit

Can’t really call it an “offer” - as I said, we haven’t received an email/letter. All we have is a table shown in the “View Financial Aid” tab in the PeopleSoft/HighPoint CX system. So, no details on COA or anything.

2 Likes

my out-of-state student just tried that and all there is are some federal unsubsidized loans. No merit listed

1 Like

Here is the cost of attendance… Plug in the appropriate information in the drop downs for your state status and school.

https://financialaid.pitt.edu/tuition-and-fees/
Here are the housing costs from 2022-2023. The prices did go up for the next round 2023-2024. I just can’t find that document right now but this gives you an idea.

https://www.pc.pitt.edu/housing-services/selection-central/campus-housing-glance

1 Like

You will ne able to meet with Financial aid advisors at accepted students day. You may want to contact FA now to discuss your financial situation. They are very receptive and can discuss if other aid may be available.

1 Like

The Panther Pride award is a grant. It is a school need based grant. If you feel that your student may be eligible for a pell grant or addition you should contact financial aid. They will review your current financial situation an estimate if they think you qualify for any additional grants. Pitt will match any federal grants. The Panther Pride grant is significant and their matching $ are unique to Pitt.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought to check the portal except for these posts. Surprised to see that S23 just got another $6K in what I assume are grants? “Panther pride award” and “panther pride merit award”. I hadn’t even thought about that happening.

He got $20K in merit earlier, so that might put Pitt back on the menu with $26K gift aid. He didn’t get the tuition exchange scholarship (full tuition), so had mentally put Pitt on the backburner. But this nice surprise gets the cost down near Purdue so it’s tempting…

It’s going to be some long weeks of us waiting for all school info to roll in. I can see why some students are still deciding in late April.

4 Likes

My kid only has 5500$ in unsubsidized federal loans and nothing towards merit aid yet. But I am hopeful as Honors decisions are not out yet. I will be really disappointed if does not get merit aid, as he has exceptional stats having 1/400 rank, 4/5 UW/W GPA, 36 ACT and one heck of a academic rigor with over 20 AP and DE classes. LoRs, EC, essays should be good as well.

7 Likes