Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

UMD says that OOS cost of attendance is over $59,000 (my daughter was offered a whopping $3000 a year 2 years ago), ended up at Clemson ($55,000+ before merit). She applied to many OOS schools, $55,000 seemed to be the average sticker price.

1 Like

Where did you see that information? Wow!

Pitt has moved to giving more aid to low income students instead of offering merit scholarships. They currently match Pell grants dollar for dollar. If you are a low income student this is a huge deal and one of the reasons my daughter ended up there.

5 Likes

I was comparing in-state tuitions, Pitt has higher in-state tuition than most state schools as well.

1 Like

https://financialaid.pitt.edu/tuition-and-fees/

Use the drop down menu to select freshman, OOS, which school within Pitt.

Again, PSU in-state tuition is the highest in the Big 10.

Pennsylvania is among the top 5 most expensive in state tuition states in the country. All state schools in Pa are relatively more expensive than most states, but Pitt and Penn State arenā€™t true state schools. As I am sure you know, they are considered to be ā€œstate-relatedā€ and even more expensive than our actual state schools.

4 Likes

My son received a full tuition award and it shows Dietrich at $18900 per semester ($37,800 annual), which is $1800 more than we expected.

4 Likes

Congratulations to your son and thank you for the information!

Thank you!

1 Like

Sticker price maters less than the final COA. It becomes an issue particularly for OOS kids if Pitt offers much less aid (and higher COA) than its peer schools. Their rolling admission process, lack of clearly communicated notification timeline and the crappy portal certainly donā€™t help either.

4 Likes

UIUC might beat them on instate tuition for some programs! I-L-L! Wait, why am I cheeringā€¦ /Illinois alum whoā€™s kid isnā€™t going to Illinois

3 Likes

Both Pitt and PSU should not receive state funds. They are not helping in-state students.

5 Likes

This is the same information I have been looking at as well but today when she got her financial aid letter, room and board was listed at 13978 and out of state Dietrich tuition and fees showed at 39170 which is higher

1 Like

Has this been updated with 23-24 rates? I donā€™t see that noted anywhere but maybe Iā€™m missing it?

1 Like

Where did you see this letter? Is it in the document center? Did you get it in the mail? My son is accepted but hasnā€™t committed, but as far as I know hasnā€™t received anything new. Thanks!

Itā€™s in the portal. On the same page with the academic accept/decline buttons, right above it, thereā€™s a ā€œfinancialsā€ section. It flies out and to the right you see any financial aid awarded.
ETA - my kid also got an email today from ā€œpittfaā€ with the same info

1 Like

Yes we are OOS for psychology so price tag all in is around $50K (with FA bringing us down to about $33K.) Most of our schools are coming in low $20ā€™s with Case Western & Xavier around $32K and Fordham at $53K on the high end. Our cheapest SUNY option is around $14K (tuition, room & board) so Iā€™m glad we have good in-state options. Since we received the FA package by email and it says ā€œfinancial aid & scholarshipsā€ I assume my son did not get a scholarship unless, by some miracle, he is invited to interview for the Chancellorā€™s one. Bummer!

Are you all giving up for merit aid decisions? Per their website these are done on a weekly basis, with Friday release? And website also says merit decisions will be made by March 1, so there is 2 more weeks. Also, honors decisions/chancellorā€™s scholarships are still pending, so I am keeping fingers crossed for my high stat kid. Without it, it just wonā€™t be possible to go to Pitt, our state schools are less expensive options.

3 Likes

Our letter today from Pitt was $39k OOS for Dietrich. Yikes. It was $53k with room and board and books etc. We havenā€™t got any merit yet so itā€™s out of reach for us considering we have really good state schools in IN. Itā€™s too bad as my son loved Pitt.

3 Likes