Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

I know it’s like winning the lottery anyway but is their STAMPS scholarship reserved only for PA residents? My son was invited to apply for STAMPS at Rollins, a small college in Miami, but was just curious if Pitt only invited PA residents.

What was the exact date she applied? My son applied 11/30 and hasn’t heard back yet. He applied to honors but I think that decision comes later, maybe March. I see your daughter finally got her acceptance-congrats!

2 Likes

Yes, Pitt gives that to PA students only. Please visit their scholarships page for other opportunities.

1 Like

S23 received $20K / year merit.
OOS, 3.97UW, 1460 SAT, Swanson Engineering.
Found the letter in the document center (did not receive email).

Pitt timeline (for those who are keeping track of this): applied 10/9, moved to review 10/13, buttons 11/7, letter 11/8, merit letter dated 1/10. Since it had been two months already after his acceptance, he didn’t expect to get merit at this point, and certainly not the $20K merit award. Pleasantly surprised!!

4 Likes

Although slim since there are so many qualified applicants, it looks like my son is eligible for the Chancellor’s Scholarship (appears to be a full ride given to 15 students who applied to honors) the Helen Faison Scholarship (full ride for underrepresented students admitted to Dietrich) and a Diversity Scholarship (known as Cathedral of Learning Scholarship) which ranges from $5000 to full tuition per year. All eligible applicants qualify automatically, so no extra application needed but some require an interview stage. Looks like most are announced early to mid-February. My son did qualify as a National Hispanic Merit Scholar, but I’m sure his overall stats won’t place him among the top applicants (4.0 unweighted GPA, 1450 SAT) so we have measured expectations, not even sure they will offer him merit at this point.

1 Like

Wow-that’s awesome! So $20K per year not total? That’s the first I heard of merit that high! Does his scholarship have a specific name (presidential, etc. or just called a university merit award?) Can’t believe your son applied 10/9 and just got the merit decision! We will have a long wait ahead since my son applied 11/30! Thanks for this info and congrats again!

Edited: I see that the letter was in the portal document center so I deleted that question.

1 Like

The letter doesn’t have a specific name for the scholarship. Just says “an $80,000 ($20,000/year) academic scholarship.”

Judging from other posts and Gatormama’s spreadsheet, the regular OOS academic scholarships seem to come in amounts of $5K, $10K, $15K, or $20K per year.

4 Likes

I assume your son applied to honors? Is Pitt a top choice?

Yes, he applied to honors as well. Pitt is a possible choice, but he won’t be making any decisions until we hear back from the UCs in March. (We are in CA.)

Some other acceptances competing at this point with Pitt are UMN (with merit), CWRU (with merit), and Oregon State (with merit and honors). Pitt had moved lower on the list compared to those three, but the unexpected $20K merit makes it a contender again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@tamagotchi Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Have you looked at the PittFund$Me scholarships? My 2020’s friend has a full scholarship (not sure if it’s full tuition or full ride) through the Hispanic alumni group. She had a very high SAT/ACT and solid ECs, but not off the charts in any way, so it is attainable.

3 Likes

No I haven’t. Thanks for the tip-I’ll have my son explore that!

2 Likes

She applied around Thanksgiving…November 22nd’ish?

1 Like

Great options! What type of engineering? I have a lot of familiarity with Pitt, UMN, and CWRU (attended). I’m not an engineer, but know plenty of grad engineering students who have attended all three of these schools. I’d offer Pitt as great choice for ChemE; CWRU for Biomed or ME/EE, and UMN, hmmm…not sure. But the CWRU and UMN grads are now in Cali, running biotechs and/or working in top AI industry. For livability, Minneapolis is tops, Pittsburgh 2nd, and Cleveland 3rd. MUCH smaller Univ. Community at CWRU, but very nerdy and bright. I realize you haven’t asked for my opinion, but I thought I’d share!

Full disclosure, I lived in Cle for grad school, and we are in Minneapolis now. Formerly had family in Pgh. My D23 doesn’t want to live in the Minnie Apple, as she spent her whole life here. She doesn’t want to live in Cle, after yearly visits there. She found Pgh accessible and appealing. Except the Tower Dorms (lol!). Fingers crossed for Honors!

4 Likes

Thanks!! Sounds like you have a lot of great info. I’ll PM you, so as not to take over this thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d love to hear the conversation. Pitt and CWRU are currently my son’s top 2 choices, merit offers from both but CWRU significantly higher net cost. Waiting on results from Purdue and VA Tech as well as Pitt honors.

2 Likes

Let me know what I can answer about CWRU and Cleveland, first, and I have secondary good knowledge about Pittsburgh. Not about merit aid per se. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe we should start a new thread for discussing decision making between these schools, I am sure we are not the only ones comparing them?

2 Likes

D18 graduated from CWRU last year with a physics degree. She has many friends with STEM majors. She is very satisfied with the education she received at Case and so am I. I went to CA state school and feel like Case really support its students. Professors really care about students and there are ample internship and research opportunities.

3 Likes

I got my acceptance on 11/22 and it’s already been 2 weeks. I still haven’t gotten any email or mail regarding any merit award or financial aid.