Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

@AmyIzzy my son didn’t get the video or the packet yet either. He got the acceptance last weekend.

1 Like

Please wait for a few weeks to receive them. Video is cool, you can share the link with yours. But the letter/poster is okay stuff.

2 Likes

Video arrived last night! Less than a week after he was accepted. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My son just received the video welcome last night. He was very entertained by that! lol. Now let’s hope merit notice (if given) follows quickly.

3 Likes

We are still waiting on merit & financial aid to see if Pitt is affordable enough to stay on the list, but my son just received this MVP invitation. Anyone else get this invite or have knowledge of/experience with this? Guessing maybe he’s on the list because he is a National Hispanic Merit Scholar. Sounds like a great event and good to know they are trying to increase diversity.

Hello, Future Panther!

We are proud to invite you to MVP on the evening of February 24

The Multicultural Visit Program is a one-of-a-kind on-campus event designed to show how our campus community, combined with Pitt’s incredible academic and experiential opportunities, will help you find your fit at Pitt and beyond. This event is specialized for admitted students and families who have historically been underrepresented in higher education to connect with university leaders, staff, faculty, and students to see firsthand our commitment to creating a diverse, equitable, and just campus for everyone.

As a part of this unique invitation, we include accommodations for your travel. Please review the event details on the registration page and the reimbursement details prior to booking your travel.

On February 24, check in between 3 p.m. - 4 p.m. to join us for:

• A Welcome and Opening Celebration
  • Catered Dinner and Dessert
  • Fun Student Activities, and
  • A Parent Panel with University Leaders and Current Students

Activities will conclude by 7:30 p.m.

2 Likes

My son received an invitation too. He is Hispanic Scholar as well.

1 Like

Awesome-congrats! I think the date might actually work for us which is a miracle with my son’s crazy gymnastics & pit orchestra schedule!

1 Like

Did he already receive a merit award?

1 Like

My son received this invitation and he’s an African American scholar, however I assumed they sent this to all URMs.

2 Likes

Yes, I believe they sent this to all URM. My multi-racial son also received the invitation.

1 Like

That’s wonderful! Some colleges talk about wanting to increase diversity, but Pitt is actually recruiting and putting the idea into action. Definitely puts the college in a positive light!

5 Likes

No merit or financial info yet

1 Like

I applied on 10/3 and was accepted into the Swanson School of Engineering on 10/24 as a ChemE major. I received an $80,000 academic award ($20,000/yr) on 11/8 and the Swanson Engineering Excellence Scholarship ($24,000 total) on 12/19.

I’m still waiting for Honors decisions in hopes to qualify for additional scholarships.

I hope my timeline helps!

10 Likes

@MomoShogun Congratulations!!!

1 Like

Huge congrats!! :tada:

Wow!!! Superb!! Hearties Congratulations, MomoShogun!

Yup this is where I am and mine is at right now. I have given up trying to figure out how her good stats and extra curricular weren’t enough :frowning:

Here too. Acceptance mid-November. 36 ACT, 3.9 UW plenty rigorous schedule, great recs, super-focused and time-consuming arts EC.
Nothing about merit. Have pretty much given up.

1 Like

I wish they were clear about when merit info would go out for each candidate. For example, they could say, “if you receive a merit award, you will be notified within 2 weeks after your receive your acceptance letter.” This way families can at least understand the full COA as they weigh other offers.

3 Likes

The way they describe the process is that they review merit in a committee weekly. If an applicant doesn’t receive merit one week, the application is put back into a pile for review the following week. The application is reviewed and continues to be eligible for merit until the committee dissolves and the university is no longer awarding merit (I think by March).

As nice as it is to think an applicant still has hope for merit until the end, maybe it would make sense — for the committee’s workload and for applicants’ plans — to cap the number of times they review an application.

2 Likes