Pitt Nursing

<p>So... I know Pitts Nursing is really competitive. I have teachers who would write me good recommendation letters. But I'm worried about my 'academics'</p>

<p>See:</p>

<p>My gpa is 3.32 and my ACT is a 26. With subscores of 28 in Math, 27 in Science, 24 in English, 24 in reading, and a 23 in writing. I'm planning on re-taking my SAT's again. I took some AP classes but I struggled with them yet I didn't want to give up. Which is why my gpa is where it is. I was figuring to write an essay explaining why my gpa is low.</p>

<p>Can anyone give me some insight? Thanks.</p>

<p>Try reposting on the nursing forum. There are several regulars there who know about nursing at Pitt.</p>

<p>the nursing forum? I don’t know where that is sorry.</p>

<p>For the Pitt Nursing incoming class of 2014: Average SAT = 1275 (M+R), 1000 applicants, 200 accepted, 122 enrolled.</p>

<p>Your current test scores and GPA are a little low for Pitt; honestly I think you’d be a long shot for admittance. But, it doesn’t hurt to try! Apply early (by the middle of September) for the best chance. Pitt has rolling admissions, so if you apply in September you should know by the end of October. In the meantime, apply to some other programs where your stats are a better match – BSN programs with rolling admissions fill up early.</p>

<p>Good luck :)</p>

<p>It doesn’t hurt to apply!!! that said, my D had better stats then those you post,and didn’t get in…Pitt is a great program at a fair cost…Best of luck</p>

<p>It definitely doesn’t hurt to apply! </p>

<p>If Pitt is your first choice, apply early. Even if Pitt isn’t your first choice, apply early.</p>

<p>Also, do look at programs where your stats would be better matched…but don’t give up or be discouraged because your stats don’t match up.</p>

<p>I had terrible stats (sub 3.0 GPA and a 23 composite ACT)…but I still got into good schools! Temple, Drexel, Le Moyne (which is where I’m going) etc. </p>

<p>If you want some suggestions for schools, let me know and I’d be more than happy to help!</p>

<p>My daughter will be a freshman nursing major at Pitt in a couple of weeks. I’ll second (and 3rd and 4th) all the suggestions about applying NOW. Pitt admits on a rolling admissions schedule and will begin notifying students at the end of September whether they are accepted. Apply NOW!</p>

<p>That said, also apply to a bunch (depending on your budget) of other direct entry programs (there is a thread on this forum) NOW. The direct entry BSN programs tend to fill up quickly so the sooner you apply and the more schools that you apply to will hopefully increase your chances. If you need some suggestions just give us some details of what you’re looking for (location, costs, urban ect) and I’m sure you’ll get some college suggestions.</p>

<p>Did I remember to say that you should apply NOW? If not then you should begin today. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! The information you all provided is very helpful! I’m going to take the SAT again in October to see if I can get a better score. Although seeing how this is, if Pitt does not accept me; and my SAT scores are better than good, could I send them to Pitt and ask them to reconsider?</p>

<p>As for now I should send my transcript, and essay? When school starts have my teacher write me recommendation letter (he says he could write me a good one) and send that in sometime in October?</p>

<p>As for schools, I want a Nursing school of course. I prefer it to remain in Pennsylvania although I don’t really mind if it’s in a city or not.</p>

<p>Temple
Drexel
Duquesne
Penn Sate (multiple campuses)
U Penn</p>

<p>^ Those are probably the most well-known schools…so I suggest applying to all of them!</p>

<p>UPenn is out of my reach unless I can find a way to pull some strings. Using what I have, I guess I could get admitted to Temple, Drexel, and Duquesne. Penn State I guess. However I REALLY want to go to University of Pittsburgh. And there Nursing School is ranked 6th or 7th.</p>

<p>I wasn’t even aware of any nursing school rankings. Well, here’s a few more PA schools, as well as ones mentioned above, from the Direct Entry thread with their NCLEX pass rates to consider. </p>

<p>Carlow University ¶ 74.14%
Drexel University ¶ 98.53%
Dusquesne University ¶ 78.81%
Gannon University ¶ 96.30%
Moravian College ¶ 90.91%
Penn State University ¶ 92.86%
Temple University ¶ 83.10%
University of Pennsylvania ¶ 91.67%
University of Pittsburgh ¶ 94.56%
University of Scranton ¶ 92.86%
Villanova University ¶ 92.19%
Waynesburg University ¶ 100.00%
Wilkes University ¶ 74.29%</p>

<p>Bloomsburg and IUP also have direct-entry nursing programs.</p>

<p>You really can’t rely on passing rates, as each school has significant differences in # of those taking the tests…You can’t possibly believe U Penn’s program is not as good as Waynesburg…</p>

<p>^^^
Have to agree with qdogpa…again. While Waynesburg does have an excellent nursing program (underrated), you cannot determine that the program is as “good” as Penn’s just because of the NCLEX pass rate.</p>

<p>

With rolling admissions it is unlikely that you will be rejected before December. I would submit my application NOW (with an essay) and then update your application with recommendation letter(s) and new SAT scores when you get them. They will add these to your application and will consider them at that time. In the mean time you will be considered on your current stats and may get lucky (particularly with a good essay).</p>

<p>Also, AFTER finishing and submitting your Pitt application, start submitting your applications to some of the above direct entry nursing programs. You really, really want to have a couple of acceptances in hand before Jan 1st. These programs do fill up quickly so don’t wait. Good luck. </p>

<p>BTW - even though “outside” of PA, I would highly recommend Case Western Reserve University’s Nursing Program. Depending on where you live in PA, Cleveland might be closer than some PA schools.</p>

<p>OP, the ratings are for graduate programs only. While they shouldn’t be discounted, some schools have no graduate program to rank, others may have only graduate programs so take the rankings with a grain of salt when considering undergrad.</p>

<p>The same with the NCLEX pass rates. Some schools with very high rates may be requiring a test for advancing juniors or graduating seniors (and thereby weeding out bad test takers) or may not be giving the students enough tutoring or support along the way so that they have more drop outs before test time. Other schools may have such small classes (20 students or so) that having one extra person pass or fail the test makes a dramatic change.</p>

<p>“The same with the NCLEX pass rates. Some schools with very high rates may be requiring a test for advancing juniors or graduating seniors (and thereby weeding out bad test takers)”</p>

<p>This I did not know :-0</p>

<p>Stay positive! There is no need to use essays to explain a low gpa. Your great attitude will shine through and your teacher recommendations will reflect this as well. Be serious about your senior year and try taking another SAT or ACT. Research a variety of nursing schools and make a direct contact with the ones that appeal to you. Let them get to know you and you, them. The advice to apply early is great. It will feel great to have choices!
Best of luck.</p>

<p>I am a great believer in the old fashioned hospital trained nursing program. I know a nurse who started a Pitt, became dissatified with the program and left it. She then enrolled in a hospital program and graduated top of her class. Eventually, she earned her BSN, but I cannot remember where she received her degree.</p>

<p>I would sincerely look into the program at Carlow. The Sisters of Mercy probably have done to advance nursing than anybody other than Florence Nightengale.</p>

<p>When I was at Duquesne in the late 1970, the nursing program had a sketchy reputation. Duquesne turned out great psychiatric nurses, hospital administrators said, but lacked some skills in other parts of nursing. However, I understand that the program had changed since I was an undergraduate.</p>

<p>Pitt’s nursing program has the reputation of accepting the best and the brightest, but often finds that it admitted too many students to the program</p>

<p>Or least this what nurses tell me</p>

<p>Isn’t Carlow a girls school? I’m a guy, unless I remembered wrong. I have been in contact with the admissions office at Pitt, I have emailed them a fair amount. Is that I should continue to do? I mean sometimes I don’t know when to shutup. I am sending in my essay and transcripts and such.</p>

<p>^ I just did a quick search…and Carlow is mostly women (93% according to their website)…so, it’s not like you couldn’t go there.</p>