Postponed Applicants

<p>I was postponed back in December and still have not gotten any news. No e-mail, nothing. I checked the Student Center, and there is still the same “postponed” message. What does this mean???</p>

<p>I haven’t gotten a decision yet either… :confused: making me nervous.</p>

<p>Mariaaasa, was your application transferred to the Center for Academic Excellence? That’s what happened to my daughter’s application. Go to the student center and look at the letter…it says we will hear by early April. So I assume that the March 15 notification date only applies to the postponed people not referred to the CAE. It seems that although slightly late, most people have heard, so I assume the delay is only if your app was referred to CAE.</p>

<p>If that is the case, my thought is my daughter and probably you (I don’t know your stats) stand a good chance of admission. I have seen many people here who have been accepted with stats similar to my daughter’s. Although some people with great stats have been rejected, it makes little sense to refer an applicant to CAE, then deny them when people with similar stats are getting in through normal admissions. Maybe somebody here has more knowledge. As I have no knowledge and am just making an educated guess.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Mrpapageorgio- I just re-read my “postponed” letter and it did say that I will be considered admission through the CAE. I initially looked over that detail, what does that mean?</p>

<p>Last time I tried to post something postive about this, the parent with the chip on his shoulder took great exception, so I’ll just post the link for you:</p>

<p>[Undergraduate</a> Catalog, University of Wisconsin-Madison | College of Letters & Science](<a href=“Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison”>Guide < University of Wisconsin-Madison)</p>

<p>It is a program where Hispanics and other minorities and underrep people who are deferred are evaluated for that program and are admitted through that program. It offers some optional and some required features. The other poster provided a link. </p>

<p>And to message board tough guy Billy. Don’t please don’t post to me or about me. I’ve read your prior posts, and you are often rude and condescending toward others. Of course, you wouldn’t speak to a parent to his or her face like that, but behind your keyboard…</p>

<p>ihcim: Here is another, direct, link. [University</a> of Wisconsin Madison - Academic Advancement Program](<a href=“http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/aap/apply.html]University”>http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/aap/apply.html)</p>

<p>Applications are referred from admissions, so it looks like the apps kind of take a different road. We have hears nothing from the program, and as you did not realize your app was even referred to it, I assume you have heard nothing, either.</p>

<p>I was refered to CAE! Thank you Mrpapageorgio for mentioning that! I really don’t understand it either as I’ve seen even some of my non-hispanic school friends get in with similar stats as myself through normal admission. Best of luck to your daughter. I hope we can be future classmates! Fingers crossed for the two of us!</p>

<p>Wow! Mr. Papagergio, such anger and toughness for someone who posts about me:</p>

<p>"And to message board tough guy Billy. Don’t please don’t post to me or about me. I’ve read your prior posts, and you are often rude and condescending toward others. Of course, you wouldn’t speak to a parent to his or her face like that, but behind your keyboard… "</p>

<p>Unfotunately, Mr. Papagergio you don’t get decide who posts what on a public message board. I admit that some of your posts, where in my opinion, you were slamming Wisc. unnecessarily, or your posts on the Tulane site about the topic of “rich kids looking down at others” really did bother me. But, maybe I should have approached it differently. Suggesting that you have a chip on your shoulder probably wasn’t a good decision by me.</p>

<p>So, I will back-up and apologize to you or anyone else that I’ve offended with any of my previous posts. I have been direct at times when I was frustrated with posters that don’t take the time to do the research on a topic, or when questions were asked and answered multiple times. There have also been times when I expressed my opinions because I thought that’s what this site is for. I think more than once I’ve said that I wish the best for your daughter. As I recall she’s looked at Old Miss, UNC Chapel Hill, Tulane, Loyola, UIUC, and Wisc…maybe I’m off on this. I’ve also considered some of those schools.</p>

<p>To the extent that you’ve been personally upset with me, or my posts, I am truly sorry, and I hope your daughter makes a choice that works for her.</p>

<p>Mariaaana,</p>

<p>The intent of the program is to admit more Hispanics, etc, so to that extent it is good. However, there seems to be an assumption that people referred need help. For example, I believ one requirement is meeting with an English dean or professor from time to time. But my d had a 33 on the English portion of her ACT, and places out of English at U of Illinois Urbana based on that score. So to me it is crazy that Madison would make a student like her meet with an English teacher, when her English ACT score is like in the 90th percentile of admitted Wisc students. This intentions are good, and a resulting admission is teriffic, but it seems as if it should be tweaked…at least for students with stats that are about the same as the average admitted student. If they were taking a chance on somebody with low stats I understand.</p>

<p>At any rate, it seems like a nice program to the extent it probably make admission more likely…better to be admitted under the program than denied. I hope it works as I believe it does, and that my d, you, and others with solid stats get in. Please post once you learn of your results!</p>

<p>Billywesty, I never intended to slam Wisconsin or Tulane. They are both amazing schools. But just because they are amazing does not make them perfect. Anybody who goes to either one of those schools should be proud. My daughter applied to both, and they are top-notch schools. </p>

<p>My only complaint about wisc was that the communication is not great and, at least for us, did not notify us via email when a decision issued. Just because a school is sloppy about one thing does not mean I do not respect the school. Wisconsin is a world-class university, and Madison is wonderful.</p>

<p>As far as Tulane, it was a comparison to Loyola. The only thing even slightly negative I said about Tulane was that numerous Tulane students come off as spoiled rich kids who looked down on Loyola students. At least two students from Tulane admitted that many students there look down on Loyola students. That, and Tulane is not as diverse for states as some may think, as half of the students are from Louisiana and the northeast. However, I also wrote that I would choose Tulane over Loyola, that Tulane is beautiful and is academically superior to Loyola, and that Tulane is a great school.</p>

<p>Do you want people to pretend every school is perfect, or would you rather read honest opinion of the good and the bad? You over-simplify my position on Tulane. I wrote plenty of nice things about Tulane, including my belief it is better for my own daughter than Loyola. In sum, I think Tulane and Wisc are both great, and I hope my daughter gets into both as extra options. And if she chose to attend either one, I would be proud. So I feel your view of my posts are hyper-sensitive, as I was not intending to slam (and did not slam) either school.</p>

<p>Mrpapageorgio, </p>

<p>I can see how CAE can be used well for those who have lower statistics, but I have had a very rigorous high school course load and an excellent GPA. My ACT score is on the lower side of admitted students, but it’s not that terrible. I just have test anxiety, but I would hope that UW would focus more on what I have learned in the past four years than on what I can perform in a few hours on a test. </p>

<p>If admitted, I wouldn’t mind meeting with the professors or tutors from time to time, hopefully then they could figure out who really needs the extra help and who doesn’t! </p>

<p>I will post of my admission decision as soon as I find out. Thank you very much for explaining the program to me!</p>

<p>I’m posting this before reading any of the links above, just based on all of your comments…it seems like being referred to this CAE means you have lower stats and need extra help if admitted? Not sure how I feel about that. I love Wisco and it is definitely one of my top choices but I definitely don’t think I’m as under qualified as this referral to the CAE department is making me seem. Maybe I’m just looking at it from the wrong perspective. Just plain and simple, does being referred to the CAE increase or decrease my chances of getting admitted? Or is it just a toss up?</p>

<p>I think most schools which consider ethnicity at all anymore consider it as a factor to weigh during admissions. At least of the schools my daughter applied to, wisc is the only one that takes it out of admissions and refers it to a special committee.</p>

<p>I would not consider it an insult to be referred. I think what happens is admissions just looks at applications without regard to race. Either admit, deny, or postpone. Then I think if you are Hispanic or whatever they refer all such postponed people to CAE. So even though you and my daughter had a good chance of being admitted as a regular postponed, it goes a different route.</p>

<p>My problem with the process seems to be what you all are feeling…that there is an assumption that special help is needed for you, as the help is mandatory. So, for example, my d has a 28 ACT which the student center indicates is slightly above average for a Madison student. Her uw gpa is 3.7, and w gpa a 3.5. Plenty of people are admitted to Madison with similar stats who do not require special help. Then again, people are denied with these stats as well.</p>

<p>The only way this program would make any sense to me would be to admit all people with stats similar to average Wisc students if referred to the program. In exchange for admittance, there are some requirements. Otherwise, if they are not giving special consideration, then it would probably be discrimination to force people of certain races to do additional requirements without at least having the benefit of an increased chance of admission. If you have stats similar to the average Madison student and you are referred to a program designed to promote diversity, I really don’t see a denial as a possibility. But certainly anything is possible…can’t assume admission until it is official.</p>

<p>Again, I have no firsthand knowledge, and I am only guessing. But the obvious purpose of the program is to promote diversity, and I would be shocked if you and my d are not admitted. If people with your stats are denied, then what would be the purpose of the program?</p>

<p>The other thing I find odd is that we did not request to be put on this path. It would make more sense to give people the option of taking the traditional path after being postponed or the CAE path. I would guess most people would pick the CAE path to increase the chance of admissions, but it does seem it should be the student’s choice. In the end, if it means getting accepted, it is worth it. But the assumption that all postponed minorities need help is troubling to me.</p>

<p>What I’m disappointed in is that it feels like discrimination. It feels like they’re keeping us in a holding tank until they see how many hispanics (minorities) accept their offers. If not enough, then they got a bunch of us in the holding tank waiting. What other purpose is there for making us wait in the CAE category while all other postponed applicants hear by March 15th. Help or not it makes me feel like crap, and there are plenty of other schools that admit minorities quickly and offer money to help us pay.</p>

<p>I hear you, madisonman. I really don’t think it is a matter of them placing people in a holding tank while they wait for final decisions of accepted people, as they are supposed to decide by early April, and people don’t have to make a final selection until May 1. I don’t feel that they are trying to discriminate. To the contrary, in the past Madison has been criticized by some for supposedly lowering its standards for minorities. I really think their intent is to help.</p>

<p>But in some ways, that is all the more reason for people with good stats not to feel comfortable going through the program. My d has worked hard for her grades and scores, as I am sure you all have. She has earned the right not to have a stigma attached to her, and to not have people assume that she was admitted with inferior qualifications, when in fact her stats render her to be a typical Madison student. Will her friends at Madison…if she goes there and is accepted, assume that she got handed a gift when she has to attend required meetings? The intent of Wisc I believe is wonderful and is to help minorities, but the method seems that it can lead to the people they are trying to help feeling stigmatized. If my d’s stats were significantly lower that the average Madison student, I could see it. But that is not the case.</p>

<p>So I was doing some research on this, and maybe I’m confused, but I think if we are accepted through this program we have to start going to madison in the summer…? [University</a> of Wisconsin Madison - Academic Advancement Program](<a href=“http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/aap/orientation.html#prospective]University”>http://www.lssaa.wisc.edu/aap/orientation.html#prospective)
Someone please tell me I’m wrong!</p>

<p>click on the link that says “To see the 2011 letter sent to incoming first-year students in March 2011, click here”</p>

<p>I want to believe you mrpapageorgio but what why do we have to wait until April. What additional information will they have about us by then compared to all other postponed students who learn in mid-March? The only thing I can think of is that they’ll have a better idea of how many people admitted in Nov-Mar actually accept their offers to attend.</p>

<p>I understand your concern, but think about it. If they wanted to discriminate, they could just flat deny border applicants. Also, u wisc and Madison is a pretty liberal area. Setting up the academic center just to discriminate makes no sense. I’m sure numbers play a role… They can’t admit everybody…but I don’t think this is any attempt to discriminate.</p>

<p>Mariaaasa: it does look like summer is required. If so, at least it is free tuition, room and board, and college credit.</p>