Postponed... Decisions?

<p>Peachyone, I totally agree with you. I also fell in love with another school this week. If I do end up gettting into Madison, I’ll visit again but at this point my heart is pulling me another direction. Good luck to you!</p>

<p>It’s a great feeling! Good luck to you as well!</p>

<p>If I sent my first semester of senior year grade by electronically not with blue envelope, is this all right? or not accepted?</p>

<p>I read on another thread that someone called admissions and they said electronically was fine. My D did both and electronicaly went first and they posted on her account that they had recieved them which i know was way before the blue envelope went out so you should be ok.</p>

<p>To those of you who are concerned about not feeling “wanted”, I know exactly how you feel, as I was in the same position last year. After having my application postponed, I felt like I would be kind of second choice if I got in and had my heart set on another school. I ended up getting into Madison and visited again. After much contemplation, I went against the school I was set on and decided to attend Madison because I knew its academics are top-notch and there are so many opportunities for me here. I was apprehensive when I was getting ready to move in with those feelings of inadequacy that I had because of the postponement. Once I got here though, I fell in love with Madison. My year here has been amazing and I can’t even imagine having gone anywhere else. While I realize that my decision and experience is different that all of yours, I definitely urge you not to discouraged by being postponed. You are definitely wanted and appreciated here.</p>

<p>OOS students with lower stats get in before IS with higher stats. How does that translate into the school being superior and having better student body. All about money. That said, S1 still holding out for UW despite postponed. If he gets in I told him he shouldn’t feel inferior. It’s nothing personal. It’s just business. Stats were great and got into more competitive schools where he is the OOS applicant. Just my opinion.</p>

<p>^^^ Is this really true? I look at the stats of kids I know from my D’s OOS high school (a competitive public where over 95% of the graduates go to college) who have been postponed this year or rejected last year, and they’re pretty good - ACTs in the 30’s and GPA of 3.8 and up (that’s total GPA, not academic). The stats of the in-state kids must be really great if the OOS kids are faring better and being rejected with these stats.</p>

<p>There’s no shame in being postponed. It’s a big country, there are a lot of talented students, many apply to UW, and there are only so many spaces. When it comes to admissions at this level we’re talking about splitting hairs. Getting into UW after being postponed is hardly the same as being admitted at the last minute from the wait list. It’s just the necessary consequence of a top school which, unlike most other top schools, essentially practices rolling admissions and needs to be extra careful in managing enrollment.</p>

<p>Frankly, I think UW is screwing up big time. My son: 32 ACT score, 4.9 GPA, rising GPA, captain of varsity sports team, 5’s on AP tests - was deferred and is still deferred. It doesn’t seem like UW has their act together regarding Illinois students. They lost their Illinois admissions counselor in the Fall and it appears to have set them way back. As of today, UW has only accepted 5 of over one hundred applicants from my sons’s high school - and this is one of the top high schools in the state of Illinois. Last year, UW accepted over 50% of the students that applied from his high school. In the meantime, the University of Michigan has accepted my son. What do you think it means to a 17 year old kid when one school says “we want you” and another says, “we are not sure”? I called UW and pointedly asked if the high level of deferred students from Illinois had anything to do with losing their Illinois admissions counselor. They denied it. I am having a hard time believing that. I wish all of you the best and hope it all works out favorably!</p>

<p>Well I think WISC may have made a good decision there because I’d be concerned about the child’s mental state when the parent is pretty self entitled.</p>

<p>They don’t want to reject the good ones of course… but perhaps it is good because it truly separates those who really would like to go to wisc and add atmosphere to the campus.</p>

<p>It’s entirely possible that Jackmancc sees the current huge difference in OOS tuition for 2011-2012 between UW-Madison (~$25,000 & change) and UM-Ann Arbor ($36,000 & change). Don’t blame him/her a bit. With what’s going on at the state capitol, I imagine that gap will be closing somewhat in ensuing years, but still a good bang for your buck. UIUC in-state ain’t no bargain either, and trying to be admitted there–even in-state–is just plain brutal. </p>

<p>Problem is with these massively-sized top IL high schools, whether it be New Trier, Stevenson, Neuqua Valley or others, is that a very good student like Jackmancc’s son can easily get lost in the shuffle among other excellently-statted peers. What you’re also seeing at those schools is that the students that ten years ago would’ve gone Ivy/boutique East are staying closer to home for chiefly monetary reasons–yes, the economic downturn has hit upper-incomes too. Thus, the 100 apps to UW-Madison. Betcha dollars to doughnuts that’s twice the number from 5 years ago.</p>

<p>They will all hear soon enough and many privates have not even started accept for EDs. I’d guess many also are waiting on the Cornell and Wash U’s of the world before deciding anything. Then they wil have a month to think about it.</p>

<p>Self-entitled? I’m sorry if I came across that way. I honestly don’t feel like my son is entitled to attend UW or any college for that matter. My point was that it appears that UW has deferred decisions in Illinois due to the loss of an admissions counselor. I obviously might be wrong about that. I was simply putting it out there for discussion. It was my first post to college confidential - I didn’t expect to walk into a buzzsaw! My thought is that if UW is experiencing an administrative problem, I wish they would say so. Otherwise, they are send the message to Illinois students that all systems are go and they didn’t make the “cut” - at least not yet anyway. If my son isn’t accepted, that is fine. I would just hate for him to lose his enthusiasm for the school because of an administrative issue. I don’t blame kids for wanting to feel wanted. Hey, most kids at 17 have no idea what they are doing. How can they know which is the right school? A lot of this is so emotionally based. I think it is unrealistic to suggest that a kid isn’t right for a school because they are disappointed by being deferred. This is among the biggest decision, or perhaps THE biggest decision, of their lives thus far. They are looking for anything to make them feel more certain or more secure in that decision. By the way, the number of applications from my son’s high school to UW were slightly lower this past year compared with the last two.</p>

<p>Sorry 'bout that, then–I stand corrected then about the # of UW apps not spiking. Not necessarily at the HS my D’s attended, but at virtually all the north suburban high schools around, that exact thing has happened. Trying to come up with why in tarnation your S has been deferred, and I know you’ve been doing the same thing.</p>

<p>Amazing that Madison’s become this tough. My D got in 2 years ago with the same stats as your S. It IS nice, however, that he has Ann Arbor tho–quite the backstop! Did he have any desire for UIUC?</p>

<p>Thank you for youre rational response, that was actually not what I was expecting, thank you.</p>

<p>apps this year were apparently up around 12% I do believe so being postponed isn’t a bad thing. I believe on the website it says that anywhere from 10-50 percent of students are accepted off the postponed list- FIFTY is a tremendous amount. Its not that your son is not a fantastic and ideal candidate, but perhaps that his essays were not the greatest they could have been or they just needed to see his midterm grades.</p>

<p>If he is accepted to UW, then perhaps a round of trips are in order to have him go by his gut feeling.</p>

<p>good luck second time around!</p>

<p>I was pulling my info. from a UW prof we know who said that UW is spending a significantly larger portion of the recruiting budget to lure OOS kids over in-state because of the price per head. Illinois is a major draw. He said with all else being equal, an IS student will be postponed in favor of an OOS or International student being accepted. Perhaps he is wrong. As a WI taxpayer, it would be nice to think he is mistaken. Best of luck to everyone :)</p>

<p>There is a limit on OOS so the same number of instate will get in as always-65%. Minn gets about 10% and OOS 25%. Int. counts as OOS… They are recruiting more OOS to get better ones. And from more than just Illinois. Your prof friend is half right.</p>

<p>As a current student I would like to share some insights with postponed students because I was just postponed last year. Do not give up on hope. I know how you guys feel. You may start to second guess whether you are worthy or not because you were postponed but you need to realize how competitive UW admissions are. Waiting on madison was the best decision of my life hands down. Everything about madison and the UW is amazing. Best of luck to all you applicants!</p>

<p>Does anyone know when they will be reviewing the postponed applicants? I thought decisions would be made by March 15th but a friend told me it could be weeks later. Is this true? Anyone know if U of Vermont is comparable to U Madison academically?</p>

<p>@judyjim
As far as I know UW is way better than UVermont academically.</p>

<p>I also am a postponed applicant. I called UW about three weeks ago and I’ve been told that I will certainly hear until March 15th.</p>

<p>Did any postponed applicant hear a final decision yet?</p>