Presidential Scholarship question

<p>Sorry to hijack this thread. Trying to find out about the UAB scholarships for OOS.</p>

<p>Son has a 32 ACT, and is NMSF. Don’t think he’ll get a 33. Only got the 32 after getting 31 twice. </p>

<p>So, is he just going to get 9K off, even though he’s a NMSF?</p>

<p>I’m not quite sure what the cost of attending out of state is, not able to find a concrete number. </p>

<p>Do any of you have friends at UAB that know what the actual sticker cost is for OOS, including room and board?</p>

<p>UAB doesn’t have its NMF scholarship info up yet…</p>

<p>[National</a> Merit Finalists and Semifinalists](<a href=“http://main.uab.edu/Sites/apply/financial_aid/62757/]National”>http://main.uab.edu/Sites/apply/financial_aid/62757/)</p>

<p>Use the above link to check back at another time…</p>

<p>UAB’s OOS tuition is…$11,480
UAB’s COA for OOS is…$25,500</p>

<p>website still shows 2009 rates but (this is for UA- Birmingham NOT Tuscaloosa) so people dont get confused</p>

<p>oos tuition is 11,480
books 900
board 4600 for blazer hall
mealplan 3300- 3600</p>

<p>after freshman year a student can live off campus and i know that could possibly cut the cost down quite a bit if apt shared by 4 or so.</p>

<p>no info avail re nmf yet but admissions office is really helpful</p>

<p>I know Alabama has changed the amount of credit hours those with the Presidential Scholarship can take. Does anyone know the max hours covered by the scholarship? Per semester? Over 4 years?</p>

<p>Max is 16 credits - each semester for max of 8 semesters. At least that’s what I remember being told. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. After that there’s a fee per credit hour (not sure what it is though, something like $75 but my brain if full so that’s probably wrong.)</p>

<p>The fee is not $75 per credit hour (thank goodness! LOL) They seem to vary between $7 - 17 per credit hour.</p>

<p>My younger son hass a double major (chemical engineering and biology); so he’s got a lot of fees, because he has a lot of labs. </p>

<p>He’s taking 17 credits this semester; he has 6 classes (some are 1 and 2 credits); but those are also charging fees. </p>

<p>Here’s a copy of his fees for this semester… They total about $300. $300/17 credits = about $18 per credit hour for son’s schedule because he has a lot of labs. Other class fees may be as low as $7 per credit hour.</p>

<p>ARTS & SCIENCE COLLEGE FEE $130.00 (This covers 3 classes)</p>

<p>ENGINEERING COLLEGE FEE $40.00 (This covers 3 classes)</p>

<p>A & S FACIL./TECH COLLEGE FEE $91.00 (This covers 3 classes.)</p>

<p>ENGINEER FACIL./TECH COLL FEE $40.00 (this covers 3 classes)</p>

<p>Here’s the link [College</a> Course Fees](<a href=“http://cost.ua.edu/college_coursefees.html]College”>http://cost.ua.edu/college_coursefees.html)</p>

<p>Some fees are charged are by class not by credit hour. </p>

<p>Grad classes cost more.</p>

<p>Ok. So that’s one difference from the Auburn scholarship. Auburn only gives 15 credit hours per semester.</p>

<p>Mom, with the chem eng and biology major, is your son able to get the engineering scholarship of 2500/year?</p>

<p>We’re thinking son may want to double major in mech eng and biology, or maybe minor in biology, with a mech eng major.</p>

<p>Is your son a university fellow?</p>

<p>I have not applied yet</p>

<p>I will most likely major in pre-med/biology or engineering</p>

<p>I’ve been looking around the website more and more, but I can’t take a campus tour in the immediate future. Thats the only thing holding me back from this college right now, distance.</p>

<p>Montegut…</p>

<p>Yes…my DS2 got the Presidential and the Engineering scholarships. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>No, DS2 is not a Fellow. He did apply, but wasn’t selected. DS1 is in Computer-Based Honors Program. Because UA heavily recruits across the US, more are learning about CBH and Fellows. Therefore UA is getting swamped with applications for those 2 programs. Only 40 are selected for each program. DS1 was lucky to get in CBHP. :)</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>I will most likely major in pre-med/biology or engineering</p>

<p>I’ve been looking around the website more and more, but I can’t take a campus tour in the immediate future. Thats the only thing holding me back from this college right now, distance.
<<<<<</p>

<p>My DS2 is a pre-med major…He’s double majoring in Chemical engineering and in Biology. He was told that majoring in chem eng’g will really help his chances to get into med school. He was also advised that it was a good choice in case he changed his mind and didn’t want to become an MD; he’d still have an engineering degree. :)</p>

<p>What state do you live in? </p>

<p>Were you able to do the online virtual tour? [Virtual</a> Campus Tour - The University of Alabama](<a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama) </p>

<p>Or, the iTour Bama that can also be done online [Watch</a> - iTour Bama - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://itour.ua.edu/watch/]Watch”>http://itour.ua.edu/watch/)
With the iTour, you have 2 guides telling you about UA.</p>

<p>Navarre…“Ok. So that’s one difference from the Auburn scholarship. Auburn only gives 15 credit hours per semester. .”</p>

<p>You’re right…Auburn’s scholarship only covers 15 credit hours per semester. For an OOS student, that 16th credit hour taken various semesters could really add up. UA’s Presidential covers 16 credits for 2010 students. For earlierly enrolled students, UA’s Presidential covers 17 credits.</p>

<p>Also, the NM scholarship for Auburn includes $4400 for housing, but their honors housing is about $5600 right now (a $1200 shortfall). And since housing rates go up each year, there could be a growing gap each year. Did Auburn say whether they would completely cover the honors housing with their NMF scholarship?</p>

<p>I also noticed that Auburn charges “student fees” every semester PLUS “course fees” (UA also charges those pesky course fees). Does the Auburn NMF scholarship or full tuition scholarship include those semester “student fees” ($246 per semester)?</p>

<p>I applied this year and was offered the scholarship. I am very interested in the University of Alabama, but I was wondering what the treatment of Presidential Scholars is like? I obviously don’t expect star treatment, but seeing as it isn’t the top scholarship (which would be the University Fellows Experience), I am afraid of being relegated. I realize this is an unreasonable concern, but I figured I would ask anyway.</p>

<p>hmeyer,</p>

<p>Unless you tell all your classmates I doubt very seriously anyone will know what (if any) scholarship you are there on. If you’ve been offered the Presidential Scholarship the chances are you’ll be admitted to the Honors program. Beyond that, I doubt any of these students sit around and compare SAT/ACT scores while they are working on their Honors classes. If you like the school and they offer a course of study you’d like to pursue then don’t sweat “being relegated”.</p>

<p>* I am very interested in the University of Alabama, but I was wondering what the treatment of Presidential Scholars is like? I obviously don’t expect star treatment, but seeing as it isn’t the top scholarship (which would be the University Fellows Experience), I am afraid of being relegated.*</p>

<p>I don’t think any of the scholarship winners are given the “star treatment”. The school takes a group picture of the NMFs when they’re given their laptops, but after that, what do you mean?</p>

<p>I don’t think anyone on campus knows what scholarship a person has unless the student tells them. some people are aware of the NMF backpacks (usually other NMFs), but I don’t think the majority of students would recognize them.</p>

<p>There are over 500 National scholars on campus. There are about 1500 Presidential Scholars. There’s about another 16 of Elite and Crimson Scholars. That’s over 2000 big scholarship recipients. </p>

<p>the school is very proud of its scholarship winners, but after you’re given your scholarship, what else is there for a school to do?</p>

<p>*I am afraid of being relegated. *</p>

<p>I’m not sure what you mean. Are you concerned that the school is going to be constantly mentioning the other award winners? No. This is college, you get something, and the school moves on.</p>

<p>“I am afraid of being RELEGATED.”</p>

<p>Are you sure you used the right word? </p>

<p>I have to agree with the last two posts. I’m sorry but I can’t even wrap my head around your concern. WHY would Alabama (or any university) banish or treat ANY student as insignificant? Alabama is very proud of their students and has good reason to brag on their students accomplishments. It is no secret that Alabama is recruiting the best and the brightest. They are investing in you and other students that have demonstrated strong academic potential. It is in the University’s best interest for you to succeed. </p>

<p>The only people that would know you are a recipient of the Presidential Scholarship are the University’s staff (Undergraduate Admissions and Student Receivables) and the people you share this information with.</p>

<p>does the 3.5 gpa requirement have to be completed by the time you apply? What if you have a 3.4 and then by the end of senior year you raise it to 3.5? Also, is it weighted or unweighted?</p>

<p>3.5 from grades thru junior year.</p>

<p>weighted</p>

<p>I took the post to mean that the poster is worried that since the Presidential scholarship isn’t the top award. That the administration and professors would deem him/her less of a “prize student” than someone that got the Fellows.</p>

<p>I don’t know this as fact but I’d surmise that most profs don’t favor students based on what scholarship they received. If you do the work in the classroom The University will market you just as they would someone who may have received a “better” scholarship package.</p>

<p>Profs don’t know who got what scholarship unless YOU tell them. </p>

<p>Profs only care about how you perform in their classroom. They don’t care if you have an ACT 36 and got the Crimson Scholarship. They care that you show up in class and do the work.</p>

<p>*I took the post to mean that the poster is worried that since the Presidential scholarship isn’t the top award. That the administration and professors would deem him/her less of a “prize student” than someone that got the Fellows.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>I still don’t know what that means. Those who get the top scholarships don’t get special privileges. They don’t register before other scholarship recipients…they don’t get better housing choices…they don’t get better food at the dining halls…</p>

<p>Once you’re on campus…you’re a student who is expected to do his/her best. You’ll get further recognition for how you perform WHILE on campus.</p>