Presidential Scholarship question

<p>As long as your school bill gets paid, nobody is going to care what scholarship(s), if any, you have. While other scholarships may have a higher dollar value than the Presidential Scholarship, in no way does that make the students receiving them better or more valued. While I do know what scholarships many of my friends have, it is little more than an interesting fact about them. With anybody I meet, it is most important that they are kind, respectful, innovate, unique, and can do the assigned work. Many of the smartest, most intelligent students I know don’t have the largest scholarships and many are not enrolled in the Honors College.</p>

<p>While you may be disappointed that you aren’t NMF or in UFE or CBHP, don’t ever consider that to be a hindrance to what you can and will accomplish.</p>

<p>I believe the poster may feel as though “top scholarship” kids may get invited to such things as dinners with Dr Witt and other administrators as well as invitations to special University functions / receptions, that “lesser” scholarship recipients wouldn’t get. </p>

<p>I have no idea to the accuracy of those beliefs or if such dinners and functions even exist. That’s just my guess from the words he/she used in the post.</p>

<p>My son has had dinners/meetings with Dr. Witt, but not because of his NMF scholarship. It was because of things he’s done while AT Bama. </p>

<p>Again, once you’ve been given the scholarship, at that point, what you accomplish and get honored for will be based on what you DO while at the school…not based on high school accomplishments (which is what scholarships are based on).</p>

<p>Every spring there is an Honors Day…the kids who are honored are honored for what they’ve done at Bama. there are no honors there that have anything to do with entering frosh scholarships.</p>

<p>I don’t know, I’m sure NMF status is a big flag when it comes to acceptance to CBH or Fellows initially, I also do think those kids as well as CBH/Fellows do make it to a “list” where they may be sought out, noticed whatever, at the outset.</p>

<p>After things get going however, I don’t think it makes a bit of difference.
Given that NMF qualifies with different numbers state to state, and that NMF doesn’t guarantee you are a good student, person, intellectual, outgoing, presentable etc., I feel it’s a terrific “hook” that falls by the wayside once real performance comes into play.</p>

<p>Performance in your classes, rapport with profs, activities/groups you choose to align with… IMHO sky’s the limit once you get in.</p>

<p>I’m sure NMF status is a big flag when it comes to acceptance to CBH or Fellows initially,</p>

<p>I think it’s a nudge for CBH…I don’t think it’s anything for UFE.</p>

<p>* I also do think those kids as well as CBH/Fellows do make it to a “list” where they may be sought out, noticed whatever, at the outset.*</p>

<p>Since I have a NMF son and a Presidential scholars son, I can say…I don’t think so. My NMF son wasn’t given any kind of special “noticing” or anything after he was given his laptop and backpack.</p>

<p>LOL, mom2ck! Back when we lived in Loozyana, we once spent New Year’s Eve in New Orleans. It was the eve of the Sugar Bowl, of course, and, as it happened, one of the teams in the bowl that year was Tennessee. (I cannot for the life of me remember the other team.) All these orange-clad Tennessee fans, very drunk, were roaming around the French Quarter singing “Rocky Top” at the very tops of their voices. Talk about a clash of cultures, LOL. </p>

<p>Yet another example of a great hit song that has worked its way into the college football experience. ;)</p>

<p>All these orange-clad Tennessee fans</p>

<p>The nice thing is…everyone looks good in Crimson!</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Crimson looks good on everyone…</p>

<p>Yes, when DS presented his 12yo sister with a “Bama girls” T-shirt he bought her at Capstone Scholars, she immediately put it on and thanked him profusely for not making her wear purple and gold. LSU Tigers were a no-Geaux for her:-)</p>

Hi,
I am an Indian student.I got 33 on the ACT and I have a 3.665 GPA.I had my transcripts evaluated by ECE as per the requirements of UA.Can i get the presidential scholarship? I mean i wanted to know if international students are looked upon in a different light when it came to the prez scholarship.
thank you
sincerely
rajib

Int’ls are looked at the same as domestics. Get your app in, get your transcript sent ASAP, and get your ACT sent.

Ole Miss

More OOS $$ offered at BAMA than Auburn.

What if GPA was 3.4 and ACT 31 for OOS? Does that mean no merit money at all?

Is that her weighted GPA that includes ALL of her classes?

@TexasMom0321

Yes. Weighted was 3.4. She had to miss the last two weeks of her junior year for a family emergency in another state. Prior to that it was 3.5 or higher. @mom2collegekids

That’s a bummer. so close.

I see that she’s also applying to Tulane. Her GPA is going to be an issue. What is her unweighted? What is her affordable fallback?

@TexasMom0321

@mom2collegekids last resorts are a few schools here in Texas. A&M, SMU, maybe UT. Tulane is her first choice and she desperately wants to go there. She also retakes the ACT tomorrow and hoping to get a 32 or higher.

UT and TAMU have class rank requirements. What is her class rank?

@texasmom0321 She needs to identify schools that you’re certain that she’ll get accepted to AND will give her the aid you need.

I hope she gets the 32 :slight_smile:

ask @fallenchemist what her chances are for Tulane with a weighted GPA of 3.4

I’ve already asked for them to chance her and it’s pretty much a 50/50 with her gpa, APs and ECs. She will graduate with her high school diploma and an associates degree. She looks pretty good on paper…minus that GPA.

@texasmom0321 Well, as long as she has some affordable safeties, then she’ll land ok! :slight_smile:

Is she applies to Bama, Ole Miss, and MIss St…and Ole Miss and Miss St give her large awards, then Bama may match…IF YOU ASK EARLY