PSA - Fall "transfer" 2020 - Updates, Q/A, Information

@scotsfi and @JaceyK we will inquire and see if spring transcripts are required. Don’t want to risk anything!

Sorry friends–I’m back after a little bit of a break/‘detox’ (lol) from the page. haha. Son has just secured a lease with 3 others at Northgate Commons. He went on his own with his roommates and was texting with me during most of the process. Had to remind him I am a realtor and real estate contracts (including leases) are part of my daily job, and yes, I do actually know what I am talking about. He was super excited and ready to get to CS. He loves CC, and although the PSA was not his first choice, I am so happy he went this path. He has had time to decompress from his high school and really got into the best ways to study for him. Ended 1st sem. with a 3.7 and we couldn’t be prouder. I am hoping that the transition continues to go well for CS, too. I may buy him the smallest meal plan, just so I know he always has food at the ready, so to speak. He registered for the Transfer information session in May. I had him put me as a guest, but I’m pretty sure that wont happen. lol.

For those of you with kids at TAMUCC, do you ever wonder if our kids study together or paths have crossed? :slight_smile:

@libbyshims it is so nice for them to get excited again and have something to truly look forward to! Congrats to your son on great first semester! I just hope and pray they carry their good habits to CSTAT!

@JaceyK - me too! I am a bit anxious that he will fall into the same pressure cooker mentality he had at his high school, but that was 2 years ago and I think his mindset changed. When he came home over Thanksgiving we were chatting with him and I asked him, ‘How many times have you been asked your class rank, SAT scores?’…he responded with, ‘what are you talking about, no one cares about that, mom’…my response: EXACTLY!!! his response, ‘oh’–lol.

@libbyshims Blessing in disguise - he is going to be sharing a house rental with his sister (who has insane organizational and study skills) so all won’t be lost. LOL. And the kicker? He is majoring in the same thing she is!! So cool. :slight_smile:

Crap - I just thought of something. My son put down Biochemistry as his first major and Genetics as second - will they count that against him as a PSA applicant? He’s satisfying the requirements for Biochemistry, but not genetics - did your applicant also put down a 2nd major?

@libbyshims Is the transfer info session you mention in May the same/different to NSC? Was thinking our guys wouldn’t be able to sign up for anything until received official acceptance? Thx

I live here and haven’t heard of northgate commons. I’m going to have to check it out! Glad i’ts all falling into place.

And it’s perfectly acceptable for parentals to come to NSC for transfer students. You’re mixed in with freshman so no one would know anyway. There’s so much info, that it is best if a parent does come!

@JaceyK we were told they received the fall transcript in late January and only a final transcript was necessary after he has finished his spring semester. He has a green check mark next to COLLEGE TRANSCRIPT FROM TEXAS A&M UNIV-CORPUS CHRISTI and the red X next to COLLEGE TRNS FINAL GRADES FROM TEXAS A&M UNIV-CORPUS CHRIST.

I also have often wondered if our kiddos paths have crossed. My kid is a typical boy and doesn’t say much. I know he has several classes with several other PSA kids and he hangs out with a several. Since he is in Calculus he has a lot of PSA kids in that class. We have been so pleased with his time in CC. He started a little slow in the fall but now has a great group of friends both PSA and non-PSA. He talks about them hanging out and occasionally going to grab a bite to eat but otherwise doesn’t say much. Boys!

@libbyshims we have signed a lease with Park West. DS will be roommates with a good friend from high school. One of his PSA friends (a girl) has also signed a lease at Park West. I did not know he could register for anything at TAMUCS yet (NSC or transfer session)?

@libbyshims Hey where is Northgate Commons? I don’t find it any where, so I’m assuming it must be extremely new.

In addition to my question above (re: putting two majors down), we are now seeing “COLLEGE TRNS FINAL GRADES FROM TEXAS A&M UNIV-CORPUS CHRISTI” as part of the “Documents Required for ADMISSION; Your application documents must be received (not postmarked) by the 3/1/2020 closing date.” section. It used to be under the “Additional documents required if admitted” section. Obviously, there is no way he will get his final Spring grades by 3/1/2020! Does he need to call admissions about this?

@JaceyK He could call or he could ask a question under the “Contact Us” tab on AIS. I don’t see how they can expect to receive their Spring transcripts if they haven’t even finished the semester. But maybe @AggieMomhelp @BlueBayouAZ @2xAggieMom can chime in? I am not sure about the (2) majors listed either? The ones listed for DS in AIS are the same two that were listed last year. They did not change.

@jaceyk that has to be a glitch. Can’t hurt to call to let them know though.

As for listing major, only first choice major should be relevant. I wouldn’t worry about 2nd choice because if he meets first choice requirements, then he’s in.

@JaceyK @libbyshims @Scotsfi @alstro @wewait @SMcC07 @tisulli
From the Aggie Answers site it does appear they need to send a spring in-progress transcript. This on contrary to what answer we got from admissions when he asked that same question, so we are going to send another transcript anyway just to play it safe. Good grief! Copied and pasted below:

Requirements for PSA students coming back to A&M:

Complete at least 24 transferable hours during fall and spring semesters at PSA school (not summer hours)

Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA at the PSA school AND maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA on all transferable coursework (including dual credit taken during high school)

NOTE: Engineering applicants must maintain a 3.25 system school GPA and a 3.0 overall to guarantee admission.

There may be some additional requirements for certain majors

Submit all required documents by the published deadline

When you are ready to transition to TAMU, you will have to submit the following:

A transfer application through ApplyTexas.
Submitting this application will allow you to be considered for scholarships.
When submitting, please indicate the fee waiver option on the payment page.
Answer ‘yes’ to the custom question indicating that you are applying for admission as part of the Program for System Admission.
Please note that you are not required to submit Essay A.

An official transcript from your system institution showing your in-progress coursework for the spring semester.

You will also need to submit a final transcript once the semester is complete.

A final high school transcript reflecting your graduation date.

An official college transcript from any other institutions attended including those where dual credit coursework was taken during high school.

Aggieland Customer Service
Monday through Friday, 8:00 - 5:00 PM (CST

@jaceyk please let me know what they say about receiving the transcript by March 1st. DS AIS says the same thing.

@OMGdontblink @JaceyK @libbyshims @tisulli @SMcC07 My DS now has a green check mark by his current system school Fall transcript. When we called over to CStat they already knew & repeated back to us what classes he was taking this semester …he didn’t send any additional transcript/info re. his in progress Spring classes over SO this info had to have been included in his Fall semester transcript.
Also my take on the red check mark still by Spring Grades is it will stay that way until they receive the final transcript. I think it’s what activates a ‘deferred for Spring Grades’ response to the transfer application?? …but will be interested as to what others think/glean from CStat re. receiving transcript by 1st March :slight_smile:

@scotsfi when did you order the transcript? That might play a part in it - I think that @OMGdontblink ordered theirs over the break (before Spring semester started). I just called TAMUCC’s registrar’s office to confirm that the transcript he ordered will include any in-progress classes.

@ JaceyK …around mid Jan.

We don’t want to take any chances so he is ordering another. It might be over kill but he ordered it in mid December right after grades were posted.

@omgdontblink overkill=better safe than sorry!! I wonder if TAMU is going to experience record number of PSA transfers this year! :slight_smile: