Accepted to Computer Science
SAT: 1470 (790 M, 680 RW)
GPA/Percentages:
9th Grade: 9.8/10
10th: 10/10
11th: 84%
12th: 82.4%
ECs: Were alright, nothing very special or related to CS
Letters of rec: My CS teacher gave me a GREAT one.
Essays: Worked super super hard on them!

Submitted my app on 12/01 but one doc was received only on 01/04 so I was really surprised! I found out by the email they sent me so yeah! :3

Update: International students will not recieve any paper documents( Brochure, Admission Letter) via postal mail.
You need to print out the admission letter( in PDF format) from your Purdue Admission Portal for the Visa Interview.

I got my decision today. I did not get offered a place in the College of Engineering. I have a choice of either getting waitlisted or choosing an alternative three majors out of which I will definitely get one. I am not sure what to do. Is Polytechnic a good alternative? Is it similar to Engineering?

Finally heard it!

Applied: 10/27/16
Decision Date: 01/23/17
Decision: Accepted
Nationality: Indian
Major: Computer Science (first choice)
SAT: 1900 (730M)
Letters: 2 (8/10)
Grade 10 GPA: 10/10
Grade 11%: 77% (just deflation, it’s an Indian thing)
ECs: tutoring, research student at IIT, leadership, quiz, volunteering, dance, short film.
Extras: Programming capabilities
Essays: Decent

Never been so happy

Elated

I always wanted to do that. ^

@CStoInfinity ME TOO HAHAHA it was so satisfying to post that!! Congrats btw ^-^

Congrats to you too!

If you have researched engineering and are sure you would like to go into the field, then polytechnic isn’t right for you. The applications in polytechnic have somewhat similar salaries, but your job is to “implement” not to “innovate”. Whenever someone gets offered the alternate major, it’s usually best to go in for exploratory studies, as Purdue has a guaranteed engineering transfer assuming you have over a 3.2 GPA for your first semester engineering related classes.

Thanks for your reply. But my letter says that they cannot guarantee a transfer to engineering. Also, I have been accepted by Penn State for Engineering and I will have to accept by May 1st if I choose to go. What are my options? Should I waitlist Purdue?

The letter said the same thing for me. However, Purdue has an option to CODO, where if you go into exploratory studies you are able to take the first semester FYE courses and transfer in after that semester assuming you met the GPA requirements. However, the added stress of having to transfer is definitely something to consider when making your decision. That being said, Penn State is an excellent school and can offer a similar level of opportunity. If you don’t have a preference, I would take full admission into penn state over Purdue exploratory any day. I do not know if Purdue will get back to you before that May 1st deadline if you accept the waitlist. I can’t really give you solid advice as to what your decision should be. Is Purdue your top school?

Any one get in today?

Being an international student, I do not have any preferences in terms of location. Since Purdue is ranked higher than Penn State for Engineering, I prioritized that. I would prefer a university that has good education quality and opportunities, and of course, job opportunities later on.

Got waitlisted to CS and offered alternate majors…

If I go in for CIT and get the required GPA for transfer to CS, is it a guaranteed transfer after 1st year?

If I choose to remain waitlisted for CS, is there a reasonable chance that I’ll get in?

Hi guys, I delayed a lot and applied on January 15th to FYE (all docs received in 1-2 days). Any idea how long I’ve got to wait before I get a decision?

Also, I applied to Stony Brook University at around the same time and got my decision.

@svs1807 You really shouldn’t decide on a school based on rankings. Penn state’s engineering program involves a LOT of hands-on experience with top industry machinery as opposed to most colleges where you sit in a lecture hall to learn. If you’re looking salary-wise, penn staters are almost guaranteed internships for the summer, and have an average engineering starting salary about 16k more (and this data is from a few years back).

https://www.engr.psu.edu/career/Students/averagesalaries.aspx

Are they releasing more decisions today and has anyone got one so far?

@QuestionsMate I disagree. I think that engineering is one of the fields where rankings matter the most. There will be some gems, but going to a higher ranked engineering college will generally give you a better education in that field. Although a number 5 engineering schools vs a number 10 engineering school in this case isn’t really a difference.

Also appears that scholarships have started to be distributed.

Anyone get a response?

Just heard back a little less than an hour ago! I got in to the College of Engineering for FYE :smiley:
Applied 10/19/16, which was weird considering so many people here applied same time or later than me and heard back a lot earlier…

@QuestionsMate Alright. Thanks for the information.