Purdue Class of 2021 EA Acceptance?

Just heard back an hour ago. Wait listed for aerospace engineering. Offered alternate majors. I’ll probably go with the wait list as I have one admission in hand.

rejected for cs
uw/w: 3.4/3.9 act: 35 OOS
no CS related ECs

What does a rejection look like when you check the portal? I got an email saying I had an admission decision, but my portal isn’t changed at all. No boiler up, no letter, nothing. I’m kind of afraid it means I got rejected. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there somewhere else to look for the decision letter?

Rejected for FYE
UW GPA: 4.0/4.0
new SAT: 1430
International
loads of ECs related to science and engineering

@KingYusHalo and @lolosaurus666 :Rejected or you got an option for waitlist and alternative major?

S my son has got deferred nd given options either to choose diff major in diff purdue or get waitlisted in same college for same major.
His stats sat 1380 maths 780 physics 770
India grade9 10
Grade 10 10 gpa
Grade 11. 95%
Good ec nd recommdtns with national merit scholarship.applied chem engg on 31 oct decision yes by mail.can anyone suggest me he got accepted in uw madison he needs bio electives more so applied purdue as well which is good to wait or accept uw.thanks

UW Madison is a great school! You don’t need to accept until May 1, so wait and see what happens.

@hopeyhippie thanks when can i expect decision when deferred.they said mid june in mail.is it so?

@SJ0899
I got an option for waitlist and alternative major

@IN4655 I’m guessing you are an Indian international student - so let me shed some light. Research shows that where you went to school for engineering has none to very little affect on your salary. Employers care way more about your technical and innovative skills than “where” you got your degree.

@IN4655 in business and law (etc.) on the other hand, your school is a very big factor for your future salary. IBanking firms almost explicitly only hire from ivy league and top 15 schools.

@QuestionsMate Nope, white Indiana student, though I am not going into engineering so its not exactly my area of expertise I’ll admit, and I did state the differences between Purdue and Penn State engineering are very minor. Its not like you should throw rankings out though, as what the resources an undergraduate student is provided with does effect how much college will actually prepare them for the field, so it matters to some extent. I don’t know enough to analyze potentially how an engineers school will effect potential job offers, so I’d just advise any potential engineers to do a bit more research and not take your word for it.

@IN4655 Oh yeah I actually agree with that. Rankings are a good general indicator of how much a school can support your future interests - but they definitely aren’t everything. All I was saying is that you should really do your own research and prioritize your happiness before whether a school is “ranked” better.

I got waitlisted from Purdue - pretty bummed bc it was my top school.
I wrote a terrible essay and supplement in attempt to get it in on time - so I don’t recommend doing that
Here are my stats and stuff for students still waiting (good luck!):
ACT 28: 32, 29, 26, 23
GPA: 3.86 UW(will have an associates degree by the time I end high school)
Applied: Nov 2nd (technically)
All application materials received (Nov 3rd)
EC’s: STEM camp instructor - programming and robotics, robotics team state qualifiers - business coordinator, BITS Club (familiarizes students at my college with CS), Varsity Tennis (4 yrs, captain, sectional champion) and some more

Offered alt major/campus :frowning:
SAT:1970
International from India
Essays were good
10th Grade:90%
11th Grade:75%
Pretty good ECs, recommendations and Predicted grades.
I was happy to get into Penn State CoE the same morning .

So I got into Purdue & Penn State both and you really have to pay attention to what field of engineering you are interested in. US News is not the only one out there- there is the NRC, for instance, and ones from different industries if you are lucky enough to find them. I’m the 3rd kid in my family to go to college, all OOS. If you aren’t sure what type of engineering you want to do, go for the $$$. Also, are you in honors at one school and not another? That might make all the difference. There are lot of factors here, but I guess what matters is what you do when you get there. As long as you go to a decent school which Penn State and Purdue def. are, there’s more stuff offered at both of those places than anyone can possibly do.

I got into Penn state up as well but I’m a cs major @emptyMT

@QuestionsMate the aero engineering prof I talked to at Purdue was from Penn State and he thought it was a great school. But my mom is constantly telling me “Bloom where you are planted,” which she believes b/c she went to school at a little midwestern college and got into med school at UCSD. My bro. went to the CO school of Mines and ended up in grad school with ppl from MIT. I don’t know much about Penn state CS but it will not limit you, I don’t think. Once you’re in a decent school, it’s far more about you than about the school

@emptyMT @QuestionsMate

“Once you’re in a decent school, it’s far more about you than about the school”

Excellent viewpoint. I can’t agree with this statement more. It’s very true!

@SushiNinj @emptyMT Yeah I got into Umass Amherst as well with a 12k scholarship yearly. You made a fantastic point about how it’s more about me. It’s just that I feel like all college rejections, no matter how insignificant they are to you still bum you out for a day or 2. Even if you didn’t care about it at all.

Purdue was my dream school ever since 10th grade and it just stings. It was the one place I think that I’d feel totally comfortable going to school there. I can’t put my finger on it but I just thought it was the perfect school for me.

I don’t plan to let this keep me down though, I’m gonna do my best this senior year and hopefully purdue will see that when they do considerations for people who get off the waitlist. I know whatever happened, happened for the best :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice