Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Does anyone know if we can apply to living learning community before accepting the spot at Purdue?

Would love to know this also. My guess is no from reading the info online, but hopefully someone can give us a certain answer.

1 Like

No, you have to accept your offer and the sign the housing contract. We figure it was worth the $500 deposit to just secure everything.

2 Likes

My D decided to attend Early Start this past summer being a bit shy and wanted to start out with a smaller student body. She meet friends right away and has kept close with most of those kids. After summer moved into Honors dorm. Meet several FYE kids on same floor and study with them weekly. Enjoys the perks of honors - dorms, mentors, classes, priority registration
does not feel like the honors requirement is overwhelming - there are so many ways to get your honors credits. Has decided to stay in honors dorm sophomore year b/c being able to study with those kids nightly is such a benefit. Please feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.

1 Like

Sorry- daughter :relaxed: Wonderful to hear about her positive experiences at Purdue! I didn’t realize they could spend a second year in the honors dorm.

It’s a crap shoot about getting to stay a second year. Most of the rooms go to freshmen.

1 Like

Purdue has changed 2 additional buildings into honors dorms for next year (Winifred Parker and Duhme). First year students will be in the Honors Residence North and South.

1 Like

Duhme has been housing upperclassmen in honors for a while now. That’s where my D lived her sophomore year. It’s an all women dorm.

For those new to Purdue, Duhme is part of the Windsor complex (all women) directly behind the honors residences.

I’ve looked at the Honors program and suspect D22 would follow what seems to be the common path. Almost all offered HC students enroll as Freshmen, 95% continue as Sophomores, but only ~30% graduate with the HC label. Freshman year looks like it only requires two, one-credit courses. And you can remain in by taking one course per semester. But to meet the graduation requirements, you need 24 Honors credits. And the listed “H courses”, or getting a standard course tagged for Honors, appears to be challenging.

For those in CS, there’s a separate CS Honors program. It looks to be easier to integrate with the CS curriculum. But following it would leave even less room for the University Honors requirements.

It certainly sounds like a great place to start, and there’s at least a year to learn more and decide.

(fwiw, the low graduation rate is reported to be about the national average, not a negative indicator)

2 Likes

In addition to taking honors courses, honors students can “contract” to have a regular class be counted as honors. Mentoring can count for honors credits, as can study abroad. It’s been much more straight forward to get all the honors credits than my D expected.

There is also a lot of flexibility for the honors project. My daughter is able to use her co-op experience to count for the honors project. She just needs to do a presentation.

I think honors has been making it easier for students to graduate with the honors credits and distinctions.

3 Likes

Thank you for this great insight! My D is accepted to FYE and the honors college. She’s encouraged about the honors colleges helping make a big school have a smaller school feel. Really interested in living with students from different fields of study vs all FYE students.

Do you know how competitive it is to get your preferred engineering major upon completion of FYE? I think we read that 98% get their #1 choice (assuming they’ve completed their FYE requirements). Would be disappointing to complete FYE and then not get into desired engineering major.

The vast majority of students get their first choice major if their engineering index (which is basically their GPA for engineering STEM courses) is 3.2 or above.

However, for some very popular majors, there maybe additional criteria. You can read through the process here: Transition to Major - School of Engineering Education - Purdue University

My D’s year, BME hit capacity and they did turn away some students who were above the cut off. Most opted for ME or for biological engineering as their second choice, basically other majors that had a lot of overlap. Conversely, my daughter’s major, chem e, turned away no one because they weren’t at capacity.

FWIW, I only know one honors student who didn’t get their first choice major and I believe she actually transferred out of engineering entirely. The parents blamed the difficulty of the honors engineering design class but that won’t be the class that derails someone for getting into their major.

PS My D also really like living with students studying all different majors too. She felt that it helped broaden the friend group and perspectives.

4 Likes

That’s all such great info!

It’s a hard decision my D has ahead of her, but all good options, which is exciting! We’re looking forward to visiting campus again for the admitted student days and also hearing more info on honors while we’re there.

1 Like

Not sure if I’ve missed it in previous posts but has Purdue released merit scholarships? Was recently accepted to Indiana and they gave me my merit scholarship just about a week after acceptance.

Sounds like merit awards went out with acceptances this year.

Thanks. I think there was more engineering applicants this year than compared to before, but I’m still hopeful that they’ll accept me during RD.

My DS had his merit scholarships in his acceptance letter. Need based aid will come out later.

My D20 had two schools comment about her essay in her acceptance letters- Texas A&M and OU.

1 Like

I was accepted FYE and was wondering: does Purdue send out physical acceptance packages?

We are OOS and have not received anything other than emails.