Purdue Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Hello! Does anyone have information about supplemental scholarships ? Specifically College of Health Sciences. How much is typically awarded and how many are given out? I have found very little information on this topic! Thanks!

1 Like

Thing #1 and I already toured the campus and attended an engineering info meeting, but his mom is taking him to an admitted student event in a few weeks to learn more. Does anyone have recommendations on what to see or ask about on campus and the surrounding area that will shed light on what attending Purdue is like?

Thanks in advance for your help.

For JackH and for anyone else visiting campus:

If your child is there long enough, you can see if they can sit in on a class. Iā€™m not sure how Purdue is handling those requests but they are no longer social distancing in classroom (just masks required) so they may be open to that. There are classes on Saturdays.

Definitely walk through WALC (the active learning center).

If your child knows their intended major, you can walk through their building. For example, Chem Es spend most of their time in Forney Hall. You can see some of the labs through the glass doors, see the common study spaces, etcā€¦

If you are going to be on campus on a game day, see about getting basketball tickets. Usually people are re-selling them. Or, see a concert or show. The Purdue bands and choirs are AMAZING! (Iā€™d highly recommend scoping out videos on line of the football half time shows or the Purdue Christmas Show.

As I noted to another poster, walk around Chauncey and visit the basement of the Union.

Unless the weather is miserable, or you visit during spring break, campus should be lively!

momofboiler, Thanks for the advice (I knew you would come through).

Thing #1 already planned to sit in a class, if available. One of our concerns is him getting lost in huge classes. I know it is unrealistic, but it would almost be more helpful for him to sit in a smaller breakout section with the grad student.

He applied for MechE, so was accepted in general engineering. When we did our outlaw tour during the summer, the MechE building was locked, so he will definitely tour that building.

Thing #1 is not much of a sports nut, so he wouldnā€™t be interested in attending a game. This will disappoint his mom, who attended MSU undergrad and has a BS in tailgating.

Everyone is accepted to first year engineering and then transitions later, but hopefully the Mech E spaces will be open. There are some great labs and shops in there. I think you can do a virtual tour of the building as well if itā€™s still locked but fingers crossed they can get in.

Itā€™s worth asking the question if he can sit in on a recitation.

I was super concerned about my D being ā€œlostā€ in the big lectures too but she actually enjoyed them.

One more thought: Your son could reach out to the Purdue chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers and see if they are having any meetings or events when heā€™ll be on campus. He could even ask if he could shadow one of their members for part of the day for classesā€¦ The email is on the webpage:
https://boilerlink.purdue.edu/organization/ASME

For anyone with daughters interested in engineering, you can reach out to SWE. The outreach committee is wonderful! https://www.purdueswe.org

1 Like

Great info. Weā€™re visiting Forge the Future in March and hope to meet with a PSEF student.

Question: How does one sit in on a class? Is this formally arranged?

S22 is a bit of a rule follower and I can see him refusing to pop into the back of a lecture hall unless heā€™s given approval :slight_smile:

Yes, you would need to get permission to sit in a class. (Especially now with Covid).

My daughter did STEP so she didnā€™t feel like she needed to sit in on a class at Purdue but at the other schools we toured, admissions had a list of courses and professors who were open to prospective students sitting in on their courses. D was told to email the professor the day/time sheā€™d be visiting to give them a heads up that she would be there.

Iā€™d start by having your student contact the admission department of their college and asking the questions. If they hem and haw, reach out to the professional society and ask if theyā€™d be open to a shadow. SWE members do it all the time so I would expect that other organizations would do it as well. Purdue students are a friendly bunch who love to gush on their school ; )

1 Like

Iā€™m taking my son to attend the 2/21 admitted student event. Surprising that they are in business on Presidentā€™s Day, isnā€™t it a national holiday?

We will arrive Sunday night and stay at the Union Club hotel. My son is FYE so we signed up for a COE pizza party on Sunday night.

This is my sonā€™s very first onsite college visit. Due to covid we havenā€™t been able to bring him to visit any schools so far. For veteran boilermaker parents, what are the ā€œmust doā€ activities for a dayā€™s visit? We have to sit in a few info sessions for sure but what some ideas on what else to see/experience.

1 Like

Yep, school is in session on Presidentā€™s Day. Love that you are staying at the Union Club!

Honestly I just love walking around campus! I think you will find the day will fly by. Try to eat in one of the dining halls if you can.

The basketball game Sunday playing Rutgers would be an amazing event to see. We met our son a couple weeks ago for the Illinois game and are going this Sunday too. It is fun. He would rather sit in the student section. The kids have a blast. There is a really big student section.

He took us to Union Memorial to eat (nice place) and to Tsaocaa for Bubble Tea afterward. Then around campus and to the game.

Pizza party at COE is a good idea. I wonder how many will be there? Good luck, It is a very cool place.

1 Like

Thanks momofboiler. As usual, you are a fount of information about Purdue.

We did a visit last weekend. After the engineering info session, we had a walking tour through three of the engineering buildings (ME, ChemE, and AAE). While walking through the ME building, the SAE team just happened to be leaving a build session, and they allowed our group to go into their workshop. Blew my sonā€™s mind! Total coincidence, but made the tour really stand out from others weā€™ve taken at different schools.

3 Likes

@momofboiler1 Is aerospace engineering competitive to get into after the 1st year engineering

Aero is one of the majors that needs a 3.2 engineering index to be guaranteed transition to major because it often hits capacity.

Thank you.

1 Like

Also note that you cannot choose Mechanical as the second choice because it is also competitive/at capacity.

1 Like

My daughterā€™s good friend was admitted to MechE as a second choice after AAE. It was a very popular path.

What is the source of your data that even applying for this is forbidden?

3 Likes

My D also had friends who picked a secondary choice for transition to major that was at capacity. Very popular for BME students to pick ME as a second choice.

1 Like

Anyone attend Purdueā€™s for Me? We are likely to go but a big trip for us, so I was hoping someone had been and could tell us how helpful it was for decision-making? Lots of info on specific colleges/majors?? TIA!

1 Like