Singer/Stamps Scholarship

<p>^^Barrow, I believe all scholarships (except Singer) came in the pocket on the left of the glossy brochure with the acceptance letter. And, to qualify for Singer consideration you had to have gotten the University (24k) scholarship. </p>

<p>We were told by an admissions officer that if you’re accepted to the University, then you were also accepted into the “school” that you applied for - like Frost or Rosenstiel, etc.
~Zinc</p>

<p>Adswimfast: I called today, and they told me Singer/Stamp finalists come to the first weekend. The second weekend is for Singer only.</p>

<p>i received the $24,000 scholarship in the mail with my acceptance letter on saturday, and today i got an email inviting me to the February Singer/Stamps weekend. based on what i’ve heard from classmates invited to the March weekend, the March weekend is NOT for Stamps, but only for Singer. Only the february weekend is for the Stamps scholarship also, unless they make the April weekend a Stamps weekend for the sake of the Regular Decision applicants. it’s also possible that only EA applicants qualify for the Stamps scholarship.</p>

<p>because only the February weekend is for Stamps, i’m assuming the most qualified students were all grouped into that weekend to compete for the top scholarship. does this mean students going to the February weekend can expect their odds of receiving at least the Singer to be higher, since they’ve already been “declared” more qualified than students going to other weekends?</p>

<p>and for the person asking if anyone was from Florida, I am from the Miami area.</p>

<p>ma22593, what were your stats?</p>

<p>SAT: 1510, 2300
GPA: 3.98 UW
-National Merit Semifinalist
-9 APs, a score of 5 on the four i’ve already taken
-two leadership positions, honor societies, a few extremely demanding ECs, and about 150 hrs of community service</p>

<p>Wow, you’re 3rd in your class with a 3.98? I must go to a really competitive high school, haha</p>

<p>I got the singer invite. Does anyone know if UM pays for the trip? And do you stay in a dorm?</p>

<p>ranking at my school is done based on weighted GPA, so even people with a 4.0 UW aren’t ranked higher than me unless their curriculum is just as rigorous or more rigorous than mine, and it’s impossible at my school to take more than the number of APs and honors classes i took, due to requirements for theology classes and such. that being said, the fact that i’m 3rd in my class with a 3.98 is testament to how difficult it is at my school to take a curriculum of that rigor and get all As, not an indication that we aren’t competitive.</p>

<p>Oh, at my school I have a 4.0 and I take a lot of APs as well</p>

<p>When I went to RSVP for the trip, it asked if i would stay in the Marriot or the Holiday Inn; so i don’t think that UM pays for it and we probably don’t stay in dorms. </p>

<p>my baseball coach will be very reluctant to let me miss 3 games for these scholarships–what should i do?</p>

<p>Explain to your baseball coach that you have the chance to get a very significant amount of money from a college you want to go to, I’m sure he’ll understand.</p>

<p>the worst part about it is that i will be missing the first three games of our season, but i guess he will understand that i can’t pass up a chance to receive full tuition or a full ride at one of the top 50 universities in the country</p>

<p>Also, i just heard from a few of my friends who also got the e-mail. There are at least 5 kids at my school with this invitation. How selective are these invitations?</p>

<p>Can any one tell how many get invited for Singer? How many awards are handed out?</p>

<p>Got the singer invite!!! rsvp’ed already.</p>

<p>Singer interviews ~350 and awards ~ 50 spots.</p>

<p>Singer and Stamps invite as well as University for our daughter. All came in the same package today.</p>

<p>Stats:</p>

<p>SAT: 2320/720M/800/800
SAT II: Bio 800/ Lit 760
GPA: 4.0 UW
AP’s: Bio(5) Lit(5) Euro (5)</p>

<p>Major- marine biology/biology</p>

<p>Daughter got her Singer/Stamps invite yesterday afternoon too. RSVP’d last night. On the link for Stamps candidates, I believe I saw that the students who do well on the Feb weekend are invited back for a 2nd round of “competition” - probably coinciding with one of the Singer weekends in March/April.</p>

<p>@Cece - there are 3 hotels mentioned in the rsvp, UM covers the dinner on Friday and lunch on Saturday and bus transportation between the hotels and campus.</p>

<p>@Nola15 - unless you are going to play baseball professionally or your uncle is Donald Trump then the chance to remove the burden of tuition, room & board, books, etc has got to be the choice…IMO</p>

<p>~Zinc</p>

<p>Could someone explain what exactly the Stamps scholarship is and who gets invited to participate? Why would someone get the Singer invite and not the Stamps?</p>

<p>I think the Stamps is so new, none of us saw it coming. And, none of us know much about the number of invites or grantees. Google research shows some information about the Frost School having them in 2009. Also, there is a site [Penny</a> & Roe Stamps Family Charitable Foundation -Stamps Scholars Official Website](<a href=“http://www.stampscholars.org%5DPenny”>http://www.stampscholars.org) that has a link for UM, but only talks about Frost. There seems to be maybe 8 other universities that have partnered with Mr. and Mrs. Stamps to offer these amazing scholarships.</p>

<p>Perhaps others know more…
~Zinc</p>

<p>Ok. I called the school. They say the Stamps is a music scholarship. Thats what I thought at first but someone posted that they didnt apply for the music program and was invited. Any other info?</p>