SUNY at Binghamton Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Have all these decisions been made already?

I don’t know. Good question for your local admissions rep.

Congrats! Is your daughter definitely attending Bing? It’s one of the top on my daughters list but she is waiting to hear back about her RD applications first.

Daughter just received email of merit award today (we are OOS)

1 Like

Thanks! Binghamton is one of her top choices, but she hasn’t made a decision yet. Definitely interested to learn more about the EY/honors program.

Also still waiting on final financial packages to come in for a few other schools and awaiting some decisions on schools that didn’t have EA.

1 Like

Just curious, Anyone from OOS CS/Engineering school heard about Honors program? Son got Predidential Scholsrship months back, then no word since.

1 Like

Does anyone know if honors program/research program invites come on a rolling basis or all at once?

So, I did some Googling: According to their website, Binghamton has the excelsior scholarship and the SUNY STEM Incentive scholarship (all SUNYs have these two), plus the “Binghamton University Achievement Scholarship” which is only 25 students and seems to be for both OOS and in-state.

Stony Brook gave me 3000 a year, and I know they also give scholarships for the honors programs and being valedictorian, though I don’t know how large these are. It’s weird, because Stony Brook (along with Buffalo) is technically the flagship now, so Binghamton vs. Stony Brook merit may change in the coming years.

1 Like

Would like some advice. Daughter accepted to Bing in Computer Science. It appears she will get no merit or grants. We are in state. She was also accepted to Oneonta and New Paltz and Albany for CS with some nice offers. When comparing all the costs it will be about $30,000 to $40,000 more over 4 years to attend Bing. As far as social fit I think she’d be happy at all 4, less sure about Albany. The money difference is significant for our family and means about $30k to 40k loans at Bing and either a small loan or no loan at the others. Is Bing worth the loans when thinking Long term?

Congrats!! My son got into Bing CS too. Did you already receive the bill ?

1 Like

I have financial aid offers from the others but not Bing yet. Based on the public information and my assumption of no merit or grants from Bing, I have a good idea as to total cost for each. I was surprised the difference was that large.

Both those schools are good, though I doubt most people think they are the draw that Binghamton is. I live in NY and I’m not sure why the governor made her proclamation. In fact, with 50% of students being commuters, I am not sure most people regard Stony Brook as being as popular as Bing, though it is very strong in many subjects.

At present, it’s pretty clear that Bing is the most popular SUNY (apart from Cornell, if you count that.)

@Terpsgints that’s a substantial amount of money if your family needs private loans. Does that include her taking out fed student loans and work study?

2 Likes

I agree, the perception is definitely that Binghamton is better. I live in NY as well and people regard Binghamton as more prestigious for sure. But Stony Brook is now rated slightly better overall on US News and offers tuition-matching to some states. I think their flagship status will help them gain OOS students and especially international students. Although Binghamton is definitely more popular at the present, Stony Brook seems to be taking advantage of its flagship status and that may shift over time. Plus with more OOS students, it’ll become less commuter-based. Once it shifts enough, it may begin offering less merit aid because it doesn’t need that to attract students.

I heard something about the reason being that Binghamton lacks a full med school or something? I’m not sure though.

I think this is currently the case at Bing in regards to instate students. Interesting re the med school aspect.

The cost difference is before considering loans or work study
 Just net cost after merit scholarships and one small housing grant. If she were a business major I think the value of Bing’s reputation would be more important but for comp sci, not so sure.

I personally would prefer to avoid my child starting their professional life with the max federal student loans. I would also hesitate to take out private loans for that amount of money, for Bing or any school, but that’s me.

5 Likes

Terpsgints, last summer we watched the “Borrowed Future” documentary on Google play and we are convinced to do this with as minimal loans as possible.

I am a software engineer myself and I am not taking a parent plus loan (my son has got accepted to UIUC and Purdue). I am not sending him there because that would mean going into debt. I want him to graduate debt free. I think we have the best deal here in NY. Even the UCLA system is like 40K per year for instate (just room and board).

I have seen Fintech companies having no problem offering internship and jobs to SUNY kids. It all depends on how well the kid is taking advantage of the labs and opportunities to network with companies while they do their bachelors.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Might not address everything you ask, but these were my takes.

3 Likes

Thank you for that. It now makes sense why Albany is liberal with issuing scholarships. It looks like SUNY Albany needs to first work with the city to fix the homeless issue (which they have clearly not been able to)

D23 got her “aid” package today.

2 Likes