SUNY at Binghamton Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Sorry to hear that…was there a portal notification?

Yes about 7pm. Silly year.

This year was truly beyond ridiculous. Strong stats, better than his sister who got in last year, and he didn’t even get waitlisted. He submitted application first week of October and it took them until March 27th to reject. Huge turn off and he is happy to go where he is wanted. We are Penn State!

2 Likes

Such a crazy year. We are still waiting to hear as we creep closer to April 1. Wondering if they will just do a huge rejection/waitlist dump on the 31st. They still sticking to the 7pm notifications it seems?

Some seem to get notified around 5pm and others around 7.

Agreed reflects poorly on their image. If Bing wants to “reinvent” themselves and position themselves as an upper tier school and live up to their image as a “public ivy” then they really need to reengineer their admissions process to be as efficient as their target competition. Their competition is miles ahead.

My DD just got a notice in her portal - Spring admission. She was originally deferred. Stats: 3.9/4.2, no test scores, lots of good ECs and a strong essay. She’s going to go elsewhere (a better fit). Just an fyi to all waiting.

1 Like

DS just got admitted to Bing Advantage Program. Is anyone familiar with this program?

My daughter is going to Penn State too. She was deferred at Bing early action and waitlisted on March 27th. Ridiculous!

1 Like

Do people here have experience with Bing’s First Year Research Immersion Program? My son was just admitted. I’m not sure his interests are a good match – it seems more science and he’s more math and statistics. But wondering…

1 Like

I mentioned elsewhere that this program (Bing Advantage) is a good introduction to the rigors of college level work. Bing has been running it for some time now. It seems to be a successful way for students to get prepared for attending classes at Bing.

@slyone Have you looked at the link in this thread to the First Year Research program? Your son can contact them to get more info about his questions. Research and Honors programs at Binghamton

For those who are waitlisted, consider sending a short Letter of Continued Interest, stating that Bing is your top choice and you will attend if accepted. Send updated grades and add anything relevant that might not be on your application, such as a summer job, awards, or recognition of some sort.

You are more likely to get off a WL if you make it clear that you will attend if accepted.

D23 is declining her spot but she told me she cannot find a decline option on her portal. Do we just send an email to Admissions?

Hope this can help someone on the wait list at Harper

Yes, just email admissions.

We have the same problem trying to find how to decline at Bing, SB, and Cortland? Does it truly help someone get off a waitlist? I have seen many say it doesn’t? I definitely will have my daughter email admissions if it can help, but many seem to be saying not to bother?

She doesn’t HAVE to decline, but could it help someone else? Sure.

If a lot of students took a minute or two to send an email declining their acceptance, they can use those numbers to determine if someone can come off waitlist.

Is it necessary to decline? No.

Actually, it would be great if more colleges made it easy for a kid to click a button. I suspect the reason they don’t though is because a significant proportion of students make a decision very late in the process, at which point colleges might already have a good idea of their likely yield rate. IOW, maybe students clicking decline at the last minute isn’t helpful, and could be harmful because kids are notoriously indecisive. Imagine a student hitting the decline button and a week later, they feel they made a mistake? Every year, there are posts like that on CC.

Thank you! Yes, Geneseo and Oswego had easy buttons. Not so much with the others. I’ll let her know that she should type up a quick email to admissions.

Applied Early Action to TJW School November → Deferred to Regular Admission in January → Waitlisted End of March → Admitted last night !!!

It’s been a very emotional ride and I hope it is a life lesson in tenacity for our young adult.

Thank you to all the supportive voices on this thread.

5 Likes

Congratulations! Will the student attend Bing?

Absolutely!

2 Likes

We are on the fence to commit
Might want to change Major fr Harper to Watson school for engineering and no gsursntee