SUNY Binghamton Class of 2023

Just got waitlisted for engineering. Was really hoping to get in for cheap in-state tuition.

Really disappointed considering their engineering is ranked outside the top 100 and I got into T50 engineering schools

Waitlisted as well but for the School of Business Management

Still haven’t heard anything. Does this mean my s will be rejected or wait listed?

Still waiting here too. I wonder what they are waiting for. Surely, they must know whether my daughter’s in or out by now.

@LittleLiam and @xinabess

i heard back yesterday and i got in… so its definitely not.

@ramous What are your stats? and what school did you get in - Watson, Harpur? Thanks and congrats!

@LittleLiam I have heard that Buffalo is better for engineering than Binghamton anyway, and maybe Stony Brook, too.

We finally heard - my daughter was waitlisted. Not a big deal, as she wasn’t dying to go there, but still. Apparently, a lot of people from her school apply ED and get in, and they can’t take too many from one school, so the RD kids don’t have as good a chance. Last year 85 kids applied from her school and only 27 got in.

And now we have all the decisions done with - phew. It looks like she’ll be going Northeastern or Pitt, either of which would be great.

Anyway, here are her stats:

GPA 4.0
ACT 27
Some ECs, not tons
Honor Society

Congrats to all who got in and best of luck no matter where you end up!

Accepted at Harpur for Spring 2020. Probably going to go.
SAT- 1340
GPA- 95

Same for my son. I’m new to this. Do you go to a college for the fall and transfer the credits? Or do you just start in the spring and take classes over the summer?

@AJC i got into Hapur. i am currently undecided but i plan on transferring to Watson if i end up going to Bing.
SAT - 1310
GPA - 4.0

Out of curiosity, is being able to transfer to Watson a given?

@Hankct No, but I think there are specific criteria to use as a guide.

I did not get direct admissions into Binghamton, however I was accepted into Binghamton Advantage program, a joint program between Binghamton University and SUNY Broome Community College. Should I do it or should I just go to University at Buffalo for a year and then transfer to Stony Brook?

My son was offered this as well.It looks promising as it offers a seamless transition the next year… Has anyone on here been through the program? any thoughts?

Accepted to Harpur, in-state, with 1490 SAT and 96 GPA UW

I was waitlisted for Watson… should I switch to Harpur to better my chances of getting in?

I think you can do either or. I’m probably going to go to community college in the fall so I can graduate on time.

@sbu2019 @marbear40 I personally feel that these type of approaches are win/win. The one key, however, is whether or not your child has the emotional maturity to understand that they may miss out on that “freshman experience”. We have a similar situation for our daughter (she was accepted to a UCONN branch for year 1, then transfer in). This option would be financially superior. For starters, she would save room and board entirely in year one, and then tuition in state is only 13K.

By comparison, her best options going away are in the 30-37K per year range. So she would save a whopping 25K or so in year one, and then at least 2-9K per year being “in state” for the next 3. That’s a 30-50K savings.

But, there is a downside. I went to Community College myself for my first 2 years of school, and while I saved money, it was terribly depressing for me (personally). I went and visited friends at UVM, URI, UConn and other schools on weekends, but while I had fun in doing so, it also made me feel even more so like I was missing out. When I transferred after 2 years, I found it was never going to be that “freshman experience”. By that time, most of the kids going into year 3, like me, were somewhat over the idea of college being fun. At that point it was all about getting serious about your major. No one was really looking to make new friends (everyone already had their groups), but I was still able to make some friends. Several of my new friends were actually freshman (2 years younger than me), and I made a few “academic” friends, meaning kids who you paired up with on projects and to study. But it wasn’t an easy go.

If your kid is very mature, very social and outgoing and can make friends anywhere, and realizes the money savings, to me it would be a great move. In the case of my daughter, we do not feel it would be the right choice to have her stay home for the first year and transfer in. She’s extremely shy (has social anxiety), and both she and we feel that her best chance of finding new friends, is going as a freshman, diving into freshman orientation and joining clubs immediately. We also feel that she could always transfer to UCONN (and save money) if her grades are decent and she isn’t happy where she is.

This is all just info from my own experience. Every place will be different, and for all I know, with clubs and such schools may be much less clique-ish (my experience in the 90s) and much more open in 2019/2020.

Pros:

• Big money savings
  • A transitional year (going to college but living at home)
  • Likely able to work and save extra money for years 2-4
  • You get to finish (all that matters) at the school you wanted to

Cons:

• Transferring is not the same experience as freshman experience (for better or worse)
  • Groups of friends of kids your age are already softly (or firmly) formed (clubs can help with this of course)
  • When I transferred, I had last pick of classes after freshman. Once I reached semester 2 I leapt to where I belonged credit-wise
  • If you wanted to take specialty courses in your first year (example would be if you wanted 4 years of Japanese, as my daughter does, and your community college does not offer it) and can’t.

Edited to add: I am wildly guessing here, but I think transferring might be far more common now than it was when I did. For instance, I never met another transfer student when I transferred to a 4 year school that had 4500 kids. But now, I see that schools actually have “transfer admitted student days”. I think that is fantastic and sorely missed by me when I transferred.

Thanks for your insight!@HankCT