SUNY Binghamton Class of 2023

@HankCT I do agree about school size. My daughter is at another SUNY college of 6000 kids. Sometimes she does say the same things you mentioned. My son applied to 4 big 10 schools, umass was 1. (We never visited, wasn’t high on the list), 1 he decided agaydue to distance (Midwest), Rutgers (which I feel is to all over the place), & Maryland, which is big but more manageable, but ruled out due to cost). I do see bing as being good in size.

As far as next, you should be able to put down housing deposit (since you committed do it ASAP), I would think he should find out about orientation but I’m not at that point to know when. I believe there is a parent fb page you can ask. It’s called BINGHAMTON PARENTS, just looked it up. Pretty sure you’ll get help there. Good luck.

@AJC our kids are on the same path.

@AJC and @lovemycats my daughter is also majoring in math and looking to minor in computer science. From what I hear it is incredibly difficult to get into computer science classes unless you were accepted into the CS program. Have you heard something different or looked into the double major more?

@futurenursemom1 I’m not sure about that. My son is
Admitted into Watson for CS. I know double majors
Are common for CS kids especially with math because they
Need so many classes. I would suggest contacting the CS
department & asking. They were very good in speaking to me.

@futurenursemom1 I have not researched this in detail. However, I spoke with a current student at Bing and my understanding is that most of math students are double majoring in computer science and most of CS students are double majoring in math. It is a very common path. While, I am aware that Watson is a very competitive school, and it is hard to transfer to Watson, I do not think getting a second major would be an issue. Now that you brought this up, I may need to call admissions and confirm it.

@HankCT Your daughter should register for an online Bing account. Once registered, she will have Bing email address and will have access to various info. I believe dorm application has opened today.

@AJC Thanks. She created a bmail (email) account, so that part is set. She said she wasn’t sure what to do next, I will take a look with her this evening. My main concern is getting the “spot in line”, if in fact she cares about where she ends up living. I would have thought your enrollment deposit would qualify for that, as opposed to a separate housing deposit, but what do I know :smile:

@HankCT as far as housing I asked when we were there if the go in ordered acceptance & or deposit. We were told that everything will be completely Radom. they will not be looking at that. Ot is 100% a lottery system. this I think is new for them but that Im. not sure. The SUNY my daughter goes to use to go by when applied (EA kids first) & I know they chang there system also. I am hoping this is true.

We too were told that housing is entirely random and not based on the date of commitment or the date of deposit (housing or otherwise) paid.

@zipstermom and @lovemycats Thank you for this info. She filled out the student profile last night and began to look at potential roommates. For someone of my generation, who was paired randomly with terrible fitting roommates in the 90s, this is amazing tech.

@HankCT funny story I went to college in the 80’s. I have no idea how that Radom iroomate search went (thin we filled out a personality form), I was put with my best friend from home. We did not request each other. When I got it & she got hers we thought it was a mistake. lol. We definitely learned our differences. We came home arguing & didn’t talk for awhile after that. Now best of friends again & was in each others bridal party. Tech has its pros & cons. This is my 2nd kid.

Just got accepted off the waitlist yesterday for Computer Science. Very excited. My first choice was Stony Brook, then Binghamton. I was waitlisted from both. I was accepted to University at Buffalo, which is where I thought I would end up. I just made my deposit to Binghamton today!

Does anyone have experience with negotiating with Binghamton? Originally Buffalo had offered 5K more per year in merit than Binghamton, but we just got a letter from Buffalo this weekend that upped the merit award to be now 10K more per year than Binghamton. We’ve put a deposit down on Binghamton, but at a certain point it seems irresponsible to take out an additional 40K (plus interest) in loans to go to Binghamton over Buffalo, both schools that we like. The cost of attending Buffalo is now cheaper than if we had attended Uconn (our in state flagship school), which is fantastic. It’s essentially an in state net cost for an out of state student.

I’ve reached out to Binghamton to let them know the situation, but no response as of yet. I get a feeling they may try the avoidance route, which I would not recommend. We plan to go visit Buffalo now for a look.

@Exclusions Congratulations!! How did Bing contact you - via email or phone?

@HankCT We did not have any luck with Binghampton re: negotiating. We even sent higher ranked public schools’ merit letters as part of our appeal. We were told that BInghamton does not negotiate merit offers. Please let us know if you get a more positive response.

@Exclusions - congratulations!!! Lots of luck :slight_smile:

@Exclusions congratulations. My son is also CS. He is still deciding. Between Binghamton & Rutgers. Hoping for Rutger.

@AJC They called my cell phone during the day – I was super lucky to be off from school or else I would have missed it. The representative said that I had 24 hours to make my decision – I then notified them via email as soon as I knew. @familyfromLI Thank you!! @lovemycats Rutgers is certainly impressive! Best of luck to him in his decision!

Help me! I’m having a hard time deciding between bing and umass Amherst. They are both very similar but I did get into the honors college at Amherst+14000 per year. I’d be going into them as a political science major and eventually to law school! Any thoughts/opinions ?(sorry no clue how to work this site lol)

@Exclusions That’s my concern. I heard they call people during the day. Were you admitted to spring 2020 semester or just waitlisted? Good luck and congrats again!!