TAMU- 2024 After you've been accepted... questions and answers

Housing Question for Engineering Honors Program …

When I called housing today (because one of my kids can select roommates and the other can’t), I was told that engineering honors students do not get to select roommates … so no Phase III. Can someone please confirm this?

Thanks.

Does anyone know if departmental scholarships have gone out (i.e. engineering specific scholarships?)

Do they stack on top of other academic scholarships? Or do you just take the largest?

I was told before that they would randomly assign but it doesn’t seem to be the case with my kid. His “Roommate Selection” works but I don’t know if that’s how it works. He can see other kids (in EH) and send requests. What happened to your first kid? S/he selected and got assigned? I’m not sure how this whole roommate selection works. Does the school have the final saying?

@icedmachiato. This morning when I checked again, they’re both allowed to participate roommate selection process … I don’t know if my email to housing yesterday prompted someone to fix the problem. It’s just very strange that one could select and the other could not when they have identical data entered.

My DD is in state Texas.
Can someone tell me how Financial Aid works for TAMU? In my research, it seems like if you received Pell Grant, then you won’t receive Aggie Assurance, as Pell will already provide the amount necessary to cover tuition of around $6k. The other costs are the room and board, that would add up to $17K, making the total estimated cost of $29K for one full year.

Can someone tell me how the Texas Grants work. There are two Texas Grants, that I think my daughter should also receive, but it wasn’t part of her Finaid package. Do those grants come once she register for classes? Does anyone know?

If you haven’t already done it you can go ahead and register for the 2020-2021 Sports Pass. https://12thmanfoundation.com/tickets/student-tickets/index.html

The other costs are the room and board, that would add up to $17K, making the total estimated cost of $29K for one full year.
<<<<<<

Room and board does not cost that. Choose a cheaper dorm and the cheaper meal plan. Meal plans are nuts, choose the lowest you can bear (kid had the 165 now has the lower 130) and package them with snacks and breakfasts food. Meal plans are the worst waste of money IMO. If you are close or kid has a car, get the very lowest option IMO. My kids double dorm is under 2K a semester. Dining plan is not more than 2K a semester. I would say that is a very high estimate, for expensive dorms and meal plans, I would estimate a real COA at closer to 23K. We are not an FA family so no help on FA. FA won’t be paying for posh dorms and excessive meal plans though.

Scholarship question.

From my emails to/from financial aids office, I think what they’re saying is if a student has more scholarship $ than the cost, a refund to the student will be issued … is my understanding correct? Or, will A&M hold the scholarship overage in student’s account to pay for future usage? Thanks.

I’d like to start by saying that I am not an expert. That being said, if you look at the cost of attending the school… there are several expenses that do not fall under tuition, fees, books, room, or board. Travel expenses, for example, or eating out or groceries, etc. If they are really trying to cover your entire cost of attending, then I could see a refund being in order.

Also, some schools (OU comes to mind) offer a stipend to NMF students… so perhaps the extra is in the spirit of this?

It’s a good problem to have, I’d say.

Just wanted to let everyone know that requests for parking permits is now open on line. https://transport.tamu.edu/Parking/FAQpermit.aspx

FYI, I heard that Housing emails should be going out tomorrow with the assigned date/timeslots for students to select their dorms

This morning my son noticed on the Housing Portal that he has been assigned a dorm and a room in case anyone else would like to check. The “Change Rooms” button is still inactive at this time. He doesn’t have a roommate listed, but if your child chose a roommate already, they should be listed as well.

@BattlinBillie2020
Is your son in University Honors? They would be assigned a dorm and roommate.
Non-honors will receive a Housing date to select their dorm and room during their assigned timeslot.

@bargainshopper75 He is not in University Honors but is in the Geosciences LLC in Wells. He was assigned a specific room in that dorm as of this morning. He doesn’t get to choose his dorm since he is in the LLC, but hopefully it will allow him to either move rooms or have a roommate join him.

Housing Phase 4 notifications went out for assigned time-slots to select dorms. Looks like the dorm selections will start as early as April 14th (past years have been early May)

What day and time did everyone get for Phase 4?

Registration question …

Since freshmen are allowed to register for classes right after the NSC, so essentially it’s like first come first serve. But I thought honors students are supposed to be able to register for classes first … does it just not apply to freshmen?

@BBmom53 My daughter and her roommate were given April 15th for room selection. Do we know for sure that the first day of selection is the 14th?

@ATTX Yes, students will be allowed to register for classes during or after NSC, but I’ve been told that it’s not necessarily a first come first served basis. They will release only so many seats per class. They won’t open up each class 100% upfront. They’ll gradually open up more seats during each NSC so that each group of students gets an equal chance of enrolling in a class. Classes could potentially fill up within an NSC time frame, but students from future NSC times will still have the opportunity to register for that class as well.

@YankeeTexan33 , yes my son got April 14th. Is that the first day?