TAMU Holistic review candidates Class of 2022

@ArrowGreen My daughter submitted an updated additional resume last month. She added some service hours and “Other” A&M involvements this fall (a few football games, an event she went to with there sister ,brothers Ring Day, another dorm tour). Figured it couldn’t hurt. It posted to her AIS within a day or 2.

@Cowboydoghouse Feel You! It’s tough when they are just not great test takers but are awesome students. The anxiety breaks my heart. My girl really wants to be an Aggie because her brother graduates in May and her sister is a sophomore. Sister’s are BFF’s and want to be together. If God puts her at Baylor at least they will only be a little over an hour from each other. Good luck!

Has anyone heard anything today?

Greetings! I can presume that this thread is made on the basis of trying to get a glimpse of what chances I have of getting accepted into AMC. FYI, This is my first post on CollegeConfidential!

Application Date: 12/01/17
GPA and Class Rank: 3.55 Weighted (on a 5.0 Scale)
ACT Composite: 24
SAT: 1140
College applied for: Engineering (1), Liberal Arts (2)
Major in that College: Aerospace (1), Political Science (2)
Advanced Classes: AP World History, IB HL Physics, IB HL History
ECs: AFJROTC (4 Years), AFJROTC Drill Team (4 Years), AFJROTC Color Guard Team (3 years), Color Guard Commander (1 Year), California Scholastic Federation (1 Year), Video Game Club (1 Year), JV Wrestling (1 Year)
Did you do all 3 essays: Yes
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process?: Air Force JROTC Leadership, Community Service (150+ Hours)
In state/Out of State: Out of State (California)
Current Status on AIS: In Review

Additional Stuff:
Ethnicity/Race: Asian (Filipino)
SAT Subject Tests: Physics (620), World History (730), Math I (570)
AP Exams: World History (4), US History (5), Physics 1: Algebra-Based (3)

@LeStaphSergeant welcome to the waiting game forum. what is your class rank? Your test scores are kinda on the low end of average but your ECs look good as do your classes. Do you plan on going in the corps? That could give you something to help you stand out more and with your ECs seem like a good fit.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

@YourCollegeMom I am around the Top 41% (332/800) in my Class, though my school is actually very competitive, one of the most in Southern California in fact. When it comes to the corps, I am definitely joining the corps, especially the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band.

@ckmyd234 said if we applied by oct. 15, we would hear by mid dec (pg 34), would that be this week? I would imagine admissions would do one more “wave” of decisions before christmas break…

That’s for engineering. Not other majors.

… i thought engineering wasn’t in waves? it seems like there’s engineering acceptances everyday or so…

I’m just saying the oct 15th date means nothing to anyone but engineering.

Quick question: at some point while they were changing/updating the login, my D got some direction to login to the following: gateway.tamu.edu. This isn’t the gateway we are used to discussing but appears to be an aggie IT account gateway. It shows that she has a tamu email but that it is disabled. Does everyone have this as well? If so, I wonder if when you are accepted if the disabled will switch to enabled. Just wanted to share to see if maybe it was another way to find out status before AIS updates.

I was not given direction to use gateway.

@helimom3 i have nothing about gateway my app hasn’t changed

Thought y’all might be interested in this info. If you click on the link below, you will find a report for the TAMU Admission Test Scores for 2017. This report has a lot of tables and lists SAT or ACT scores for a variety of subcategories (gender, ethnicity, and also tables for various Colleges in TAMU)

The average score for TAMU (CStat and Galveston) First Time in College Full Time for the total number of students is SAT 1253, ACT 28.

Since this is Full Time students, I don’t think this includes Blinn-TEAM or the Blinn Engineering student. There is a table for College Transition Academic Programs but it only has 181 students listed so I don’t think that is the Blinn programs, but I don’t know exactly what that refers to either.
Look at the various tables, find your gender and ethnicity and look at the College for your Major to see how you compare to the students who were TAMU full admits in Fall 2017.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Student/files/F17-Norm-Book-Final.aspx

If you are near or above the average, and submitted your application early, you could hopefully earn a full admit spot. But remember that class rank and test scores are only 50% of the selection criteria. Good luck to all who are still waiting!

Application Date:8/8
GPA and Class Rank:W 3.97 UW 3.7 66/626 10.54%
ACT Composite
SAT 1170
College applied for: Architecture
Major in that College: Construction Science (hoping to get into Construction Law program that starts in fall)
ECs: Varsity Softball, National Honor Society, elected Student Council Rep, Bruin Bearer (works with special needs children and spirit organization) Key Club, Golf, BARK animal rescue club, Younglife Grade Representative, FCA, Younglife Wilderness Camp, church volunteer, Summer internship with a Magistrate Judge, after school and summer job at construction company
Did you do all 3 essays: yes
Wonderful recommendation letters-one from the judge she interned for
What is your highlight that you feel will make you stand out in the review process? Amount of extracurriculars and essays
In state/Out of State: in state
Current Status on AIS: in review.

Please give any insight Into her chances. She really wants full admittance but will probably take Blinn. It’s her dream to be in College Station. She’s disappointed since she’s been accepted to several other colleges with scholarships offered, but She feels A&M doesn’t want her. She attended an A&M camp this summer and won an award given by counselors for Best Aggie Spirit. She LOVES A&M! Her dad is an Aggie and we have brainwashed her well

@BECKISTEW: It is really really hard to figure out if a review applicant will receive full admit or Blinn-TEAM. Check out my posts #514 (and #516 has a number corrected) on this board as well as my post #553 just above your initial post. Posts #514 & #516 contains info from the TAMU Counselors on the breakdown of how many applications were received for Fall 2017 (there were 42,000), how many were holistically reviewed (27,000), and how many applicants were offered full, Gateway, Galveston, Blinn-TEAM or the various Engineering options as well as the PSA and denials, and my post #533 has tables listing scores, etc. by gender and ethnicity for Freshman enrolled for Fall 2017.

Just to show how difficult it is: In 2017, of the 27,000 holistically reviewed applicants, only 3,800 were offered full admission. There were 16,000 that were automatic admits, either Academic Admits in the top 25% rank with the required SAT/ACT scores, or Top 10% as required by the State of TX. There were 2,400 applicants who were offered Blinn-TEAM (and less than half that number accepted that offer).

The average score for TAMU (CStat and Galveston) First Time in College Full Time for the total number of students is SAT 1253, ACT 28.

Thelma2 also has a list on this board of the offers received from posters on this subject last year (2017), including gpa, class rank, SAT/ACT scores and admission offer. It is a very interesting post, search for it on this board.

There really isn’t an identifiable pattern as to who gets what offer. The reviewers use class rank and SAT/ACT as 50% of the evaluation and essays/Letter of Recommendation/other as the other 50%.

I have 2 Aggie daughters, one has graduated (full admit after review in 2012, graduated TAMU '16) and one is currently a Freshman on Blinn-TEAM and LOVING IT!!. No one in CStat cares if someone is on Blinn-TEAM. There is no stigma. The only thing that she can’t do is play a sport for TAMU. And she will probably earn her Aggie ring as a Senior instead of earlier. But otherwise, Blinn-TEAM is a great option and my daughter is grateful to be an Aggie in CStat instead of going elsewhere and eventually transferring into TAMU. There is a great honor in earning a TAMU diploma and the Aggie Network is phenomenal!

Almost immediately after submitting her application on the Sunday after Thanksgiving 2017, my daughter received admission to all of the other schools on her list and was also offered merit scholarships. She waited until Feb. 14 to get the offer of Blinn-TEAM from TAMU, and the wait was agonizing. There are just so many applications that they have to review.

I am eternally grateful that a reviewer looked beyond my daughter’s low class rank, (53%) and considered her gpa (3.5 unweighted), SAT (1250) ACT (27) and her essays and Letters of Recommendation and offered her Blinn-TEAM. Yes, she was disappointed at first, but she got past that. The only people who look at Blinn-TEAM as “less than” are people who don’t really know about it. Check out the info from TAMU about Blinn-TEAM and Gateway so that you will be prepared in case that is what is offered to your daughter.

A lot of people want to be Aggies, there just isn’t room for everyone who wants to be an Aggie. That is just the way that it is, unfortunately. There were about 32,000 applications to TAMU in 2012, then it went up to 42,000 in 2017. I can’t imagine what it will be like by the time my future grandchildren will be ready for college.

Just don’t let the waiting stress your family too much. Enjoy the Senior year, it will go by quickly. And if she doesn’t like what is offered to her, there is an appeal system. It can’t hurt and it might help. There were people on the board last year who appealed their PSA decisions and won full admission. My daughter would have appealed any offer that was less than Blinn-TEAM.

Hey guys! I looked at @AggieMomAgain post and saw that my sat(1340) and act (31) are extremely above the averages for African American males in the veterinary science major. The only thing hurting me rn is my 46% rank. My essays are so good even my English professor cried reading them, people tell me i have a good shot since my scores are so good but there’s always that doubt at the back of my mind.

I check this forum multiple times every day. I am in the exact same boat with high test scores/low class rank combo. I would love to see how their algorithm for future gpa works. I found a pdf with it described on like the fifth page of a goolge search, but it might as well been in a foreign language.

Would love to know the secret behind the algorithm… my applicant is the opposite with A&M ranking in the top quartile (HS only ranks top 10%), but lower average test scores.

Thank you so much for the encouragement about Blinn Team @AggieMomAgain I feel the same way you do about it! I pray her pride gives way to rational thinking lol!