TCU Early Admissions 2023

There was a second letter that outlined her merit.

Why are people putting OOS for TCU? TCU is a private school; so, it shouldn’t matter if you’re in-state or out-of-state.

3 Likes

Son accepted. OOS 3.9 UW GPA
Test Optional
7 APs
Latin and STEM APs
Founded school philanthropy club.

they should be putting down WHICH oos bc there is speculation that TCU is cutting back on the amount of California kids they admit since there is an abundance of them there apparently…just what I’ve heard at least :slight_smile:

Not sure why a school would cut back on students from a certain region unless they don’t perform well or have a low yield. I’d imagine Californians exhibit neither of those characteristics.

2 Likes

This seems more likely.

When we visited the AO who spoke to us was sort of weird when she talked about how many Californians were there. Like it was an issue that people bring up a lot and she had to address “the elephant in the room.” I don’t know, we’re in state and it made us wonder what the deal was with that.

Of all of Southern Ca schools I only know of 4 total who were not deferred. Literally kids with 4.3s, even EC in the world and 33 ACTs, all deferred. There is definitely something up with not wanting Ca kids

2 Likes

I should clarify this is the South Bay schools, LA privets like Marymount and Loyola, Newport Beach, and Santa Barbara that I have a broad specific knowledge. Not sure but a lot of these kids really wanted to go there and are very upset.

I wonder if there’s pushback from alumni on becoming less of a Texas school? I read somewhere that Baylor was committed to its “Texasness.” Probably one of the only states in the country that would care :slight_smile:

Maybe it is a yield issue. maybe RD apps are up quite a bit with the football success so Admissions decided to defer a lot of people to compare with the RD applicants. Wonder if total EA deferrals are up a lot or more of a California thing.

Baylor has a greater percentage of Texas residents than TCU or SMU.

1 Like

Might be political. SO many Ca people moving there they dont need more woke stuff. I get it, and honestly I wish CA would look after our in state more.

1 Like

More than a few kids have withdrawn there apps from consideration because of it so it could not be the best move. Counselors will start telling So Cal kids to not even apply.

I haven’t heard anything about SMU caring about how many Californians enroll but it’s a bit more urban school.

Don’t Pepperdine, SCU and LMU attract quite a few Californians?

It is interesting how many Californians leave for college. A school like Emory draws far better from California than Texas which is closer.

It is because no one gets in the UCs or State Schools even with perfect everything. OOS have lower stat standards. SO It is backwards. I am bummed bc my daughter really wanted to go to TCU and has the stats but I respect them caring about their in state.

2 Likes

Son accepted (San Diego)
Pre-Health
3.83 UW
Test Optional
7 APs
Many ECs - sports, meaningful volunteer/community service hours, job
Showed demonstrated interest as it was a top choice
Founders Scholarship

2 Likes

Son deferred, CA kid with 3.8 UW and 4.2 W, no test scores, 7 APs. It is a bit heartbreaking as we love the school. One brother graduated TCU and plans to live in Texas the rest of his life, another is still at TCU. Both admitted EA but had lower GPAs. However they had more EC and were applying for national ROTC scholarships - which they won and brought to TCU. TCU is very generous to ROTC cadets. I feel poorly for our son as for the past 7 years TCU has had a huge presence in our lives

I really really don’t think the “woke” California kids are choosing TCU of all places.

4 Likes

If your son wants Texas and ROTC, has he looked at A&M? Or A&M Galveston?

1 Like

Wanted to add that all fall I’ve told son how the football success is going to make getting in much much harder. That being said, sure is fantastic to root on the Frogs! Cannot wait for the Fiesta Bowl.