Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@PPofEngrDr @grtd2010

Thanks. Its hard to pass on top BME program or the MSU OMSP.
Both place I need to work hard.
I do understand GA tech BME will drain my GPA.

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this thread ā€“ and CC in general! As a NJ resident, Iā€™m currently debating between Northwestern HPME, Rutgers/NJMS, and TCNJ/NJMS. I absolutely love the campus and environment at Evanston/Chicago, but I also recognize that staying in-state would save me a lot of money (and Iā€™ll also be closer to home!). Iā€™d really appreciate your opinions ā€“ thank you in advance!

@antman1 If you/your family can spend $500+ k for BSMD at HPME (without any loans), go for it. IMHO, it is not worth that kind of money compared to TCNJ/NJMS or Rutgers-Newark/NJMS.

@wowbears - I also wonā€™t recommend BME as premed. Some one close to me did JHU BME and with 3.6 GPA, 99% percentile MCAT and very good research didnā€™t got any T20 interviews, He did get 2 MD admissions (after a gap year) and one was with free tuition. My son declined JHU BME and doing BioChem at Vandy.

@antman1 - Do you need to take lot of loans?

Congratulations to all who got acceptances and good luck to others waiting.

@wowbears, going to your favorite major at your favorite school vs. going to medicine. If you are fine with one over the other even if it means losing the other eventually (medicine/BME), it is easy choice. And who knows, you may just do fine with a BME major and still be able to pursue medicine. But be prepared for realistic and worst case scenario and decide.

Consider few extra things, like did you say GA Tech gave you OOS scholarship or not (not clear to me)? Are you sure you will lose the guarantee at Michigan State if you try applying out? If you are unsure of such things try to get them clarified by calling them or have your parents follow up. Things like these can tilt the scale in either direction.

@antman1,

NJMS is not going to be cheap either during the med school portion. Around 75-80k/year + any undergrad expenses. If around 200k difference is not prohibitively expensive for you or family, I would definitely recommend NU HPME (you may also want to read my post earlier today few pages back). Of this difference, you can borrow 100k in your final year so you donā€™t end up paying too much on interest.

I have known students who let go full rides for undergrad portions of instate direct med programs to go to other programs of their choice elsewhere.

@rk2017 You are absolutely right about Philadelphia regarding safety. There is a one difference, the train stations (both subway and regional SEPTA) are inside the campus boundaries. Campus is very safe compared to surrounding area.

my nephew also got TCNJ/NJMS. Unlike my son, he strongly prefers BSMD :smile:

@antman @rk2017 For NJ resident, NJMS tuition is not 75-80k but 40-45k range.

@grtd2010

Who knows NJIT may have similar arrangements like a shuttle service some one was mentioning yesterday to cover the half mile to the train station? Why should someone jump to conclusions?

@rk2017 We had done some research and drove around NJIT but did not feel comfortable. There were some other factors. Google is a great tool to do research about safety.

[QUOTE=""]
For NJ resident, NJMS tuition is not 75-80k but 40-45k range.

[/QUOTE]

Haha, did I say tuition or Cost of Attendance? If tuition alone is the consideration then NU is more expensive by may be 10-15k/year in the med school. Of course undergrad one has to pay out of pocket.

https://financialaid.rutgers.edu/cost-of-attendance/rbhs/njms

@rk2017 For non-residents NJMS tuition is in 60-65K range comapred to 40-45k for NJ residents. Your number is good for non-residents.

Got into TCNJ/NJMS and NJIT/NJMSā€¦Congratulations on all acceptancesā€¦

I am surprised by NJMS and UIC tuition (for both in-state and OOS). I guess CA is not that bad to live (except we pay 13% state income tax)!

@medgirl6
You got accepted into SBU/GW, right? Are you from Oregon by any chance?

@sajju786 - congrats to your son and your family on Rutgers Newark/NJMS 7rs BS/MD acceptance! thatā€™s great!

Congratulations once again on all the acceptances!!!

@mk1901 @Mahikesh - congratulations on TCNJ/NJMS!

@srk2017

thanks.