Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@DSOF20192023

Thanks for sharing that info on this forum. Just curious the VCU honors treatment and privileges are just for the entering year or do they get them for all 4 years, the dorm, class registrations, research and all that?

Also one needs to consider that it is just not about the treatment, but the difficulty in standing out. I understand that at UVA it is very challenging, but as VA residents you will know better.

For those considering research footprint and profile of a university/institution for their decision making, traditional or accelerated route, this below site may be helpful. It gives a bird’s eye view of most highly cited researchers in the world and their academic affiliations (you may want to use control F or command F options to search on the page, not the search text box on top right corner). You may want to see how many of the highly cited researchers, if any, are affiliated to the institution you are interested in or considering.

The same site also provides rankings of universities, both national and worldwide, but I will leave it to you to explore further if interested. I don’t want to be seen as someone promoting this ranking or that.

http://www.webometrics.info/en/hlargerthan100

@gallentjill - Thanks for your quick response. I am new to this site. How can I contact @Undecided3494 directly?

@Undecided3494 - Could we please call you? could you please share your experience there? Also, my son wanted to speak with someone about the electives and second major.

@vj1000 hopefully, he will see this thread and get in touch with you. I think you need to have made a certain number of posts to contact someone by private message. At some point, you should see an envelope icon at the top of your screen. If you can send a message, you would do it through that icon.

@vj1000 Also best is to do some exploration by yourself. 2 ways.

1. Click the link of handle name. Then you will see the replies s/he made. Click and read various posts done already. He has already done a good post with the details of Union. Read that first.
  2. In any thread, go to the bottom right corner and click the search icon. Enter what ever you want, like handle name or college name and it will give all the posts in that thread. Read them.

@rk2017 - Are those rankings for research across all the fields? I see UCSF ranked lower but it’s a health sciences university only and may not have same number of researchers compared to schools like Berkeley.

Yes, it is across all the disciplines in a university or institution. That’s why you may see more high citation researchers at, for example Harvard which caters to a wide range of academic disciplines than say MIT, which is mostly technology and science focused. So size, focus and perhaps age/history also will also have to be factored in.

Hi, I found FB Group for potential BU SMED 2026 batch students, if any SMED student is interested -
In FB URL -
After f a c e b o o k . c o m (I don’t know how to paste a link without making it get masked)
paste
/groups/2121610811463715/

surprising Public schools like UC Berkley and UMich are Top 10 research houses in NAnmay be because of size

@srk2017

The below may be a better indicator and allows one to compare directly between institutions, since it is taking total sum of all citations (subject to some filtering criteria as they have explained). Then it is easier to get some sort of comparison of citations against the size and scope of the institution. So say an institution with half the size/scope of a bigger institution produces 70% of publications than the bigger entity, it can perhaps be considered 1.4 times more productive ( 0.7 / 0.5 = 1.4 )

http://www.webometrics.info/en/transparent

Dear All,

I stepped away for 3 days, got back here today, missed 15 pages of info. Too much to catch up. :smile: . Some conversations here have caught my attention. I will quote below my question.

Drexel gave me $28,500 for scholarship + some other minor scholarships . But I am not interested, because I heard that the medical school has ration professional : student is 0.7 : 1 , rated #159 . While Case is 3 : 1 rated #46. So I decide not to attend Drexel. While my friend is interested, with no scholarship, major Biological Sciences / Premed track

May I ask you , could you please provide me the link talking about, "if admitted to Drexel-Biological Sciences / Premed track, then it will be automatically matriculated to Med school ".

Your advice, comments are greatly appreciated, so helpful during this month of April and for the future references.

By the way, thank you @grtd2010 for posting statistics, at first I did not know how to read the numbers. Could you please provide the numbers for UPitt school.

@rk2017 - Thanks for the clarification. Research rankings are little harder to follow. My advice is to check for the fields you are interested in and check the schools for the opportunities rather than go by rankings. My son did that’s how he got good research gig during the admitted students visit itself.

@rk2017 VCU Honors housing is only first year. Research - abundant with Med school (as I heard) with or without honors. But honors brings like minded kids together in VCU.

Only thing that differs from web site is 12 intake for early admissions. I heard even though they are interviewing 16 (as they said in web site), they are not taking 12, may be 5. One reason I heard from one of the senior in Med school is that Med school is not that happy with some of the BS/MD and early admission students quality compared to students coming in traditional method. So they might be taking less than 12 they intended to take. So students have to consider this factor and can not assume 12 available seats as advertised.

One UG parent said some kids in normal UG are doing better than BS/MD in VCU. May be BS/MD students are just working enough to get through?

@SkAdvice - Which schools are you considering?

there is a note on Drexel’s site that starting in 2020, the College of Medicine is going to begin an affiliation with Reading Hospital - that looks to be about 1.15-1.30 hour drive from the medical college, would imagine they will try to send as many students as possible there - one thing that we didn’t love about Drexel when we visited was the student giving us a tour told us that you could get sent to hospitals as far as 3 hour drive away from the school, not sure if this new affiliation is any improvement over that. We don’t have an offer from Drexel, so just an observation fwiw for those considering it.

@Tessellation - we will be attending the BU open house this friday as well. i believe looking at the itinerary, there will be an opportunity to ask questions from a panel of SMED students. was there a specific question or issue that you were interested in?

FYI - CWRU PPSP notifications to be sent starting at 8pm tonight. Best of luck to everyone still waiting for BS/BA-MD decisions.

@OldSchoolMD @Tessellation My S and wife will be attending BU open house this Friday as well

@sajju786 - You all should put CC name on the name tag :smiley: