Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Congrats @medgirl6 !!!

Hello! I was recently accepted to the rpi/amc and the drexel ba/md programs, and i was hoping someone could offer a pro-con for each. I have read through this post from 2006 (http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/184993-rensselaer-albany-medical-college.html) and a couple others about each college. I also called to talk with current students and my mentor from my lab (went through normal premed) but I was just wondering if someone could offer an unbiased opinion from a bsmd standpoint of the strengths and weaknesses of each. I will also be visiting each school over the next couple weeks, so anything I should look out is also appreciated. Would be mega helpful!

@vj1000 I sent you a PM so you can ask any specific questions you may have about the LIM Program.

@maxwellthomas Go with RPI/AMC. 2006 is 100 years old in the BS/MD time span!

Any acceptances to CWRU PPSP?

Congrats @medgirl6 @maxwellthomas !

@medgirl6 @maxwellthomas My DD got into RPI/AMC. Is it hard to keep a GPA of 3.5 in RPI?

@Tessellation - how do I find Facebook page for BU SMED parents?

Congrats @medgirl6 @maxwellthomas !

@SamEasaw - congratulations on RPI/AMC! while I went to RPI eons ago, my impression remains the same. It is NOT difficult for a BSMD student to keep a 3.5 GPA. Most BSMD students in the program majoring in Biology are significantly >3.5 GPA.

@maxwellthomas - I do not know much about Drexel’s program, so I can only speak for RPI/AMC. I think RPI/AMC’s strength is its research. It’s a priority in their program. It’s even in the name, Physician-Scientist Program. Prior to starting medical school, every student in the program is required to partake in significant basic science research. I think this is of great value when it comes time to applying to residency. This is important to note when looking at the Albany medical college residency match list, it does not necessarily differentiate between the traditional AMC student versus the RPI/AMC student. There is great support and guidance for research for the BSMD students from both the undergrad and med school. Having said that, similar type of research can be obtained in almost any BSMD program, but it may take more initiative and work on the part of the student to find those research projects.

@tryinghard99 - rejected from CWRU PPSP. But congrats to you. We are really impressed with their program.

Congrats @medgirl6, @tryinghrd99 and all those who got selected.

Question on AP credits and Premed courses:

Is it good idea to take the premed courses in the UG which are required for MCAT even though the University gives credit for AP courses taken in the High School?

My DS was accepted to Union/AMC and VCU for BSMD programs and for undergraduate to Brown (No PLME), Georgetown, Cornell and Vanderbilt. Your advice and comments will be very helpful for us in decision making. Thanks in advance.

@sangsun - Any need based aid or merit scholarships at non-BSMD programs? I won’t recommend Cornell for premed.

No need based aid or merit scholarships.

@sangsun - Does medical school prestige matters to you or your son?

Any thoughts about premed at Harvard Vs Brown PLME or Northwestern HPME?

@hibsmd2019 - I have same question, if you (or your child) targeting for prestige and top 10 med school then Harvard, otherwise PLME or HPME.