Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@sangsun If your S is clear about medicine and ORM, choose between Union/AMC or VCU. If not go with Brown.

@hibsmd2019 If your child is clear about medicine, choose between Brown or NU. If not go with Harvard.

Thanks for your input. Thoughts about choosing between U Pitt and Brown PLME?

@hibsmd2019 Did you hear back from Pitt gap?

@hibsmd2019 - Brown gives better undergrad experience but Pitt medical school is ranked high. Pitt may give good scholarship for UG and may be cheaper for medical school.

@bsmdseekerskg,

Depends on how well you did on the APs and your comfort level. If you had 5s and/or close to 800s in sat subject tests, you may not have to. Unless of course if a particular undergrad course is strongly recommended by the pre med advisor at the university you choose to go to.

Not yet. I think they said April 15th for U-Pitt results. I felt Pitt Med was very good too. Will Brown PLME give choices for good residencies that are not primary care?

@hibsmd2019
UPitt or HPME over Brown.
All the very best.

Congrats @medgirl6 @maxwellthomas @hibsmd2019

Congratulations @sangsun
Choose AMC or VCU over Brown if you are sure about becoming a doctor.

A pitfall one needs to take into account is that going to Harvard is no ticket to “top 10 med school” or whatever subsequently. May want to refer to @upstream 's post from few days ago recalling experiences of students he is personally acquainted with over a long period. It may be a big let down later if one can’t find placement in a med school of one’s liking and high expectations later.

I know of a student who had been to MIT for undergrad and had to settle for an ordinary med school that she couldn’t digest the fact and quit med school altogether after a year’s study.

@hibsmd2019
Both UPitt and Brown have primary care ratio of about 42% and 45% respectively.
UPitt has UPMC next door. It is also a research powerhouse and in terms of medical school reputation beats Brown hands down.

There are a number of personal factors that impact your residencies, Step 1 and Step 2 scores, your research profile, shadowing and of course GPA.

I have assume this is someone who really didn’t want to be a doctor in the first place. I can’t imagine the vast majority of people who want to practic medicine quitting just because it was an “ordinary” medical school.

No, she did want to become a doctor, that’s why she even enrolled and studied for a year spending 70k or something 
 Had she been to Stanford med school or something of that sort, she would have finished it too, but couldn’t push herself doing at some place not up to her expectation coming from MIT. I think she took up some management consulting position in some big pharma company and is happy now.

@rk2017

since when an outlier become standard?

deleted

@gallentjill got notification of my reference and its points to deleted. :neutral:

@PPofEngrDr I made a snarky comment about having to “settle for an ordinary medical school” and then changed my mind. Its probably better not to restart that argument again. :smile:

@PPofEngrDr

Not an outlier! That’s why I specifically referred to @upstream 's comments from not too long ago, if you care to check 
 I could have come with such a list of my own acquaintances too, but his was lot more comprehensive.

@gallentjill,

As a regular reader you must be knowing by now, that I treat all med schools and their students with respect. My argument was to counter assumptions made here and fascinations of some who treat most of the schools as ordinary inspite of myself and others sharing repeatedly how wonderfully students from those supposedly ordinary schools have done in their careers and lives. No offence intended and hope none taken by anyone.

@rk2017 @upstream I have seen those posts Let’s bring them on table and include them with overall picture, most likely numbers will prove what fraction of -ve experiences being discussed, just listing -ve experiences about one school doesn’t make another program/school good. School has to be good on their merits to begin with.