Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@gallentjill feel free to PM me as I missed the original. :smiley:

@rk2017 No offense taken. Sometimes there are misunderstandings with these posts. I feel strongly that getting into any medical school is a great achievement to be celebrated. But, I do understand that some are more highly prestigious than others. Trying for the top 10 or 20 is personal decision.

I just don’t want anyone to feel as if it makes sense to drop out and not become a doctor simply because a school is not highly ranked.

I understand this a BSMD forum but few parents/tudents are still ambivalent about taking that path and we need to present both +ves and -ves and not scare them away. Yes, we all heard or family experiences of some kids having setbacks and either going to less preferred medical schools or dropping out of medicine altogether, but that’s the case with BSMD programs also (to less extent). As I mentioned before all the kids I know who are serious about medicine and went to traditional path are in medical schools now (some at top 10 with scholarships and some had minor setback s and went to less preferred ones) and based on that we chose traditional path.

Few people reached out to me over PM last few days to get my input about which path to take and I had lengthy discussions with them and in some cases I advocated for BSMD and same cases traditional path. In one case I switched my recommendation from an Ivy to BSMD based on student’s input.

I have no vested (financial or otherwise) interest in giving advice in this forum and if anyone still not sure about BSMD vs traditional path and want to discuss pros and cons, feel free to PM and I will give my 2 cents at zero cents cost :smile:

@PPofEngrDr

My examples also included a positive experience of attending a prestigious undergraduate school such as MIT. A young lady turned down Brooklyn BSMD to attend MIT and subsequently was selected as a Fulbright scholar from MIT and has already obtained an admission to Harvard medical school. But she was an exceptional student, who has skills of concert pianist as exemplified by the fact that she performed with Boston Pops Orchestra while attending MIT. On the other hand, an “ordinary” Harvard graduate was envious of the fact that our son was attending a BSMD program since she has experienced the stress of doing two gap years.

Ultimate question before making the final decision should be: how much risk are you willing to take? If you are willing to take a risk of doing 1, 2 or 3 gap years, then go to a dream school that is a bit beneath your ability. You will have more time to enjoy the campus life while getting mostly A’s and strengthening your application, and you will probably have better chance of getting into your dream medical school.

Also, you have a chance of transferring or applying out of your BSMD program. Examples include a student transferring from RPI/Albany program to Yale after the first year; NYIT BSDO student applying out to Mount Sinai medical school; RPI/Albany student getting into Johns Hopkins medical school…

Good luck everyone!!

@upstream - How would a students in 7 year program like RPI/AMC can apply out? Did this student transfer after first year of medical school?

@rk2017

I was told that students, who graduated from prestigious colleges, were more scrutinized by other students.

@srk2017

Yes, he transferred out after the first year at RPI.

@upstream - Sorry, transferred out of RPI after 1 year to go traditional at Yale or transferred to Yale medical school after first year at AMC?

@upstream - I have no complaints about RPI. My son liked the school but not the city. This kid is a good writer, he gave perfect answers for both choosing RPI and then leaving for Yale :smile: Kids like him will thrive wherever they go. As he said lot of people think having good liberal arts education is good for future doctors but some view those courses as waste of time. and UG is just to meet the requirements and medical school is what’s important. My son is taking one honors seminar each semester in liberal arts (limited to 15 students) and feels they are truly enriching him.

ACCEPTED AT UCONN SPIM!

Congratulations @Cherax

congrats @Cherax !

@Cherax - congratulations on SPiM!??

@Cherax finally we had breaking news for the day, Congratulations on your acceptance.

Thank you all!!! I’m most certainly going :slight_smile:

@cherax - Congrats! most certainly? :wink:

Congrats @Cherax

@upstream

Believe you are referring to thread, http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/22129811/#Comment_22129811. How many years of data that is? How can a sample of ~30 students a good representation if that is over a span of few years and number of colleges those students represented in your office? my understanding is you are a private medical practitioner.

@srk2017

I never got an impression that you have a negative feelings toward RPI.
But even at RPI, our son was able to take such courses as Poetry and Philosophy of Medicine since he received many AP credits and placing out of introductory classes.

Congrats @Cherax

@rk2017 Yes with liberal arts and humanities background it has been proven physicians are more humane and successful that’s what lot of residency directors have seen and prefer now.