Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@rk2017 Actually, I am incredibly interested to know about this as well, please post if anybody has information!

@Cherax You thought you can relax! In case if you are planning to reconsider (UConn vs Hofstra) your option,

1. Go for a program, which allows to apply out without losing your seat.
  2. Choose a program which gives flexibility (take any major or any courses, no restrictions on # of years of UG)
  3. Don’t think taking MCAT is not flexible / burden. If good test taker (BS/MD pool), with 6 weeks of focused efforts can score very decent. Also remember MCAT is another test, since medicine career you are going to take more and more tests, it never stops.
  4. See approx cost for UG and MD. Find out, if the MD schools give any scholarship or consider IS fees

@vmt1975 Once you have your short list, do research on the school web site and/or call them. It varies so much.
Some school web site have extensive multi page process on how to become IS. Some states it is easy (OH) and some place forget it (like OK).

Seeking input from experienced members here. I have been admitted to the following. Any recommendations between Hofstra (8 years), FAU ((7 years),
TCNJ/NJMS, Rutgers/NJMS?

I didn’t like Newark and am therefore considering only Hofstra and FAU. I am leaning toward FAU. Thoughts?
Cost is not under consideration.
Ouf of state for all of these.

@Throwawayaccount361 we did interview at FAU and my son and I really liked the campus and the program.
Its a new program and has lot of potential.

See below regarding FAU.

Florida Atlantic University - MedPiplines 7-8yrs BS/MD Program with Charles Smith School of Medicine.

FAU -BS/MD
8 - spots MedDirect ( Boca Raton Campus)
8 - spots Wilkes Honors College ( Jupiter Campus)
Total 16 spots.

Interview Day:
9.00am meeting with Director : He talks about the program and how medical students should be.
9.45am tour of the FAU campus
10.45-11.00am FAU Charles Schmidt SOM tour.
11.15-12.30pm Lunch only for Students, Parents on own
12.30pm -2.00pm you will get a 30min slot to interview with a faculty member.
By 2.00pm you are done.

FAU - Charles Smith School of Medicine
64 Med Students a year
16 BS/MD spots
Was a part Univ of Miami from 2004-2011, after 2011 independent and a part of FAU.
2015 first Med Students - all 100% matched into residencies.
2016-2018 - all med students 100% match rate into residencies. ( I know for sure as they gave us the copy of the match list from 2015-2018)
Research opportunities with Neuroscience lab at Jupiter Campus, FAU Campus in Boca Raton Biomedical Research.
Affiliated with 9 regional hospitals and lot of good clinical exposure, Boca Raton Regional Hospital near to Medical School and lot of clinical exposure there too.

FAU Undergraduate give 100% scholarship for NMF finalist ( Except R+B, some of it covered by other scholarships) and most scholarship for higher ACT Scores for non NMF.
Campus is good and living dorms are apartment style. Safe and in nice neighborhood.
FAU Campus very close to Boca Raton Beach.
From Fort Lauderdale Airport 20-30min car ride to FAU.

@sajju786 thanks for this. The only reason I’m conflicted between FAU and Hofstra is because I thought the Hofstra match list was much more competitive than FAU. I don’t want to match in Florida also.
I just don’t like that Hofstra requires only 1 MCAT attempt.

@Throwawayaccount361 
Match list is way 6-7yrs later for him, also remember as many have said here in past too, it the program that does not define where the person matches, it will strongly depend upon his USMLE Scores, his Research Experience in the field he wants to go and his medical experiences

@Cherax as you stated in results thread

that turns out to be the case for so many applicants every year and that’s why its important don’t rule out colleges before application. You have interesting research part that finally flipped the coin for SPiM. Hopefully you carry that during UG years and may open the door for bigger.

@Throwawayaccount361 - I lived in Boca Raton and it’s a nice city and FAU is a decent university. Also, lot of start thinking about where to settle down and select residency based on that.

They said results should be in for U- Pitt GAP by April 15

@GoldenStateDad
Thank you for sharing your perspectives on the results thread.

@Throwawayaccount361
Hofstra medical school is good upcoming school. They have a different learning approach and they have support of 22 hospital Northwell system.
About 1/3 rd of students match within the system. Their residency matches are good for a “new” medical school.

However, you need to get comfortable with the quality of their undergrad - that remains an issue.

@Cherax You were initially waitlisted at UCONN SPiM and then accepted, correct? How did they notify you?

@Throwawayaccount361
please reach out to current BSMD students at Hofstra - the accepted day event is on April 19th. Current students tell me they are very happy and no regrets with their choice at all and UG courses have prepared them well for MCAT.

@brown2024 I will look into this. Thank you

@brown2024 i thought that event is for regular UG?

@uravgperson I was not waitlisted. I was accepted initially, it came late in the mail.

@Throwawayaccount361
yes it is but you can ask them to meet with a current BSMD student - they are very accommodative.

@Cherax Thanks.

Accepted at Stonybrook! I did not find much information about this program on CC
Do we have anyone who got accepted into the program or currently in the program? Any help is much appreciated