Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

My S got accepted into 7-yr combined programs at RPI/AMC and TCNJ/NJMS. Though we are OOS, he will be qualified for NJMS in-state tuition after establishing residency during UG at TCNJ. Overall, RPI/AMC program will be about 140k more than TCNJ/NJMS option. Seeking guidance from experienced members here.

@bs2md2019 Congrats on the acceptances! I can’t imagine why RPI/AMC would be worth 140k more.

Thank you @gallentjill

@bs2md2019 did u get any merit scholarship at rpi?

@diaash Yes. He received 19k (per year).

Congratulations @Cherax

Hello all,
This is one of my first posts to this thread. Does anyone have any thoughts on which of these three BS/MD programs is better or the pros/cons of each: Drexel/Drexel, TCNJ/NJMS, and UCONN SPiM? Thanks in advance for all the help.

@phillabi000 Thanks for your post and reflection. Being close and IS for UMKC is hard to let go.
FYI. Tulsa is also a good program. You can change to OKC also if you decide not to pursue community medicine.

Thank you @phillabi000 for your post on the results thread.

I request other members who have decided to share their experiences on the results thread:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2126726-bs-md-results-class-of-2019.html

@bamd Congratulations.

Stony med school primary care match ratio is about 38%. School has a good reputation and my physician friends have very positive things to say about Stonybrook.
Also, Stonybrook has the advantage of practically free undergrad due to BS/MD students getting Presidential Scholarship. Their GPA/ MCAT requirements are also very reasonable.

Re-posting my post #874 on Stonybrook:

Re: Stonybrook

Last year, Stonybrook had supplemental application - to the Honor college and also for the Scholars for Medicine program. Please note, you HAVE to be admitted to one of their Honors program to be considered for Scholars for Medicine track.

My D was accepted for WISE honors program. We are out-of-state for Stonybrook.
Stonybrook is competitive. I do not recall the number of students that applied (we had asked one of the student volunteers). They had interviews on multiple days and I believe ~60 students were called for interview. Their intake is about 10 and they do have a waitlist.
They had NO sessions for parents. Our interview was after the residency match list day and we were impressed by their residency match list they had shared.

Location wise - Stonybrook is not easy to reach. Nearest major airport is JFK. Other NYC airports are La Guardia (LGA) and Newark. It takes about 2 hrs from Newark, 1.5 hours from LGA and anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours from JFK. It can take you 1 hour just to cross 2 miles from JFK.

Our doctor friends have a very high opinion of Stonybrook SOM.

@uravgperson

If you look at the residency match list, primary care ratio of Drexel, NJMS and UConn are 37%, 39% and 45% respectively. What this means is that more percent of students match to specialty residency programs at Drexel and NJMS than at UConn.

However, the class size of these schools is vastly different: UConn is small at ~75 students; NJMS at about ~160 and Drexel is huge at about ~280.

Also, location may be a factor - NJMS is in Newark where safety concerns may be amplified; UConn is in Farmington and Drexel in Philly.

Reputation wise NJMS is perceived to be better than both Drexel and UConn.

@bs2md2019

Both AMC and NJMS are good medical schools.

If cost is a factor, choose TCNJ/NJMS.

@uravgperson, @NoviceDad,

Difficult to opine without knowing financial awards, state residency and other cost factors. Anyway.

Surprised that Drexel had only 37% primary care match despite the huge class size. Quite impressive considering that the general trend, higher the class size, higher the primary care match

I think UConn is the only one among the 3 that will let one apply out without having to lose the guarantee. Also one may qualify for instate for med school, need to confirm with them first though. But it is a 8 year program though.

The concerns about safety in Newark are overblown out of proportions. As per the stats provided by NJIT about their recent batch of accelerated program with NJMS, around 70% of students accepted ended up enrolling there (13/19 or something). Would not have been the case if safety is so bad there. One may not find the area and surroundings very pleasant for sight, but that is a different issue.

Safety concerns for NJMS are being blown way out of proportion. I would advise others to first visit the campus before actually forming an opinion. Pretty much, if you don’t want to, you never have to step outside in Newark- there’s an underground tunnel connecting pretty much the whole medical school and university hospital together.

TBH, having spent a day at both Hofstra’s new medical school, and NJMS, I would say that both are pretty similar in terms of safety- there’s really no threat unless you walk around drunk by yourself at 2AM on a Friday night 2 blocks away from the campus.

@NoviceDad @rk2017 Thank you for your responses. After calculating my personal cost of attendance, it appears that TCNJ/NJMS will be slightly cheaper than UCONN. Drexel, even with a merit scholarship, will cost more than $100k more than the other two programs (total cost including medical school expenses). Regardless, cost is not a primary concern.

On Drexel’s website, it says their primary care ratio is 42%. Also, UCONN’s is 48.5%. Does anyone know where NJMS posts their primary care ratio because I can’t find it on their site?

In my opinion, safety comes down to the individual. While it may be harder to get robbed in Farmington than Newark, as long as you are vigilant and mindful of your surroundings, you’ll be fine.

Any other advice between Drexel/Drexel, TCNJ/NJMS, and UCONN would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

@uravgperson,

In calculating Drexel cost of attendance, difference may infact be lower than what you mentioned because of coop option (think @NoviceDad mentioned it too earlier). So you may not pay the tuition for 6 months in 4th year and also have some income. Better to get it clarified and confirmed though. I think @NoviceDad may not have included Ob/Gyn under primary care and hence the disparity with their official site figure.

Agree with your assessment of NJMS safety.
Check this out for NJMS (you will be saving a year but lose the option of applying out in comparison to UConn)

http://njms.rutgers.edu/admissions/view_admissions.cfm

@uravgperson Drop Drexel. If u are ok with location and would prefer to complete in 7 years go with TCNJ/NJMS.
If you are ok with 8 years and would like to try out other MD schools go with UConn. Also check if UConn allows for IS fees for MD.

@NoviceDad Thank you for your response. We were wondering if that additional 140k for RPI/AMC (compared to TCNJ/NJMS) which mainly gives research experience is worth (if cost is not a huge factor). To what extent would that research (and AMC) help in getting the residency that he is interested in later (compared to NJMS).
AMC has better match rate for the specializations that he is interested in compared to NJMS although match rate for primary care seems to be about the same for both of these.

Uconn is a good program and had a flexibility of applying out . But the more concerns about this program is commuting for the out of state students ( if you are close by it is fine), for research opportunities need to go to the medical college which is hard without a car ( heard they have shuttles but takes long time)not much social life .
For Hofstra you need to do undergrad four years compulsory ,for bs/md students 3 years is enough . Good thing about this is students can spend more time on research and MCAT prep.
Njit undergrad is very flexible in selecting the majors( you can do undergrad in any major even computers also, no restrictions) , also you can matriculate into NJMS at any time ( even in 2 years if u finish. Heard one kid did it, other kid currently planning to graduate in 2 years, it is up to them and no hurries) .

[QUOTE=""]

AMC has better match rate for the specializations that he is interested in compared to NJMS

[/QUOTE]

@bs2md2019
Have you checked out NJMS match results for 2019 (link above if you want) … They seem to have had an amazing year !

@ven2020
Folks above are not talking about NJMS through NJIT. Doubt very much how much true that one can matriculate into NJMS before 3 years, but would strongly advise against it, even if possible.