Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@BlessedSSD3Dad : Have you made any decision ? My son has also received acceptance for Drexel 's BS/MD. Need to decide between Drexel or going the traditional route.
Let me know what you have decided ?

@ucmehta what’s the cost difference between the two for UG? What’s your home state? Do you care about the prestige for med sxhool?

[QUOTE=""]
@rk2017: Drexel doesn't allow you to finish UG in 3 years. They have Co-op option which is mandatory requirement for BS/MD Program.

[/QUOTE]

@ucmehta

You haven’t indicated if you got any price breaks from Drexel for undergrad tuition. Assuming you got some break based on all the star programs you got into there, don’t worry about the additional year. In my opinion the Coop option is a good one, which will expose the student to on the field work or research experience besides saving tuition for 6 months and even giving some income (like summer internship). Drexel’s location in Philadelphia and good public transportation must be a great factor for obtaining good coops. Find out more details from them on how this works.

Based on what @NoviceDad posted recently, Drexel students seem to match to good residencies too. The only concern is that their bar for MCAT is a little higher at 513 or so with minimum of 128 to be attained in each sub section in max 3 attempts. But I am confident any student on this forum with some serious preparation can cross that hurdle in 1 or 2 attempts. So I feel the benefits outweigh the risks and you can go ahead with it as long as it is not too challenging financially.

@ucmehta If I were you, I will go with CWRU UG given these options. For me, it is not worth the high COA with low research rank. At the end, it is your choice that matters.

And don’t worry too much about these rankings business. As indicated by me recently they rate schools as good as RWJ and NJMS lowly. That reveals the validity of their methodology. I know students who went to Robert Wood Johnson and made significant strides in their careers and lives.

Also they seem to have 40 mill worth of funding for 106 projects from NIH (and may be more from other government and private institutions) so not bad at all.

DREXEL UNIVERSITY PHILADELPHIA PA UNITED STATES 106 $39,961,705

Another measure of Drexel’s research productivity, across all the disciplines offered there. They have had close by to 30 researchers, past and present, each with citations of 10000 or more.

https://scholar.google.com/citations?view_op=view_org&hl=en&org=9755387805931913599&before_author=gi5__8BbAAAJ&astart=0

Hi everyone. I have been following this site regularly and this is my first post. Like most anxious parents on this site, I have done a lot of (hopefully useful) research on BSMDs over the last year :slight_smile: I hope to learn and share as much as I can 

1. Background - I’m the dad of a HS current sophomore/junior this fall, he plans to apply for BSMD & Pre-med etc. I’m originally from Asia, currently working in Financial Services
  2. I’m in the Boston/Cambridge/MIT area this week and planning to walk the BU campus this Thursday afternoon between 6pm to 8pm. I don’t have any connections there so this is just to familiarize with the campus/vibe etc. If anyone is interested to join/have coffee & exchange notes, please feel free to PM me (I might not be able to PM since this is my first post)
    Congrats to all the accepted kids and parents !!

Got Howard University’s interview notifications. We may not attend interview since my DD got accepted to Drexel. Any recommendation?

@ucmehta - DD says Drexel BS/MD. She is the decision maker :-). I have not heard any negatives so far other than COA and high MCAT %le. First one needs my support. Confident of %le as she has gone through high rigor in HS.

Good luck with your decision.

@diaash
RPI/AMC

@ucmehta
If keen on medicine, suggest Drexel.

Folks

If you have made a decision on acceptance, please inform other universities and decline their offer.
This will help waitlisted students.

@diaash Did you choose RPI/AMC?

@NoviceDad thank you for ur answer .
@gallentjill , we are visiting rpi this weekend for accepted student orientation and will finalize this weekend. Brooklyn college and SUNY Downstate is almost free so wanna make sure that rpi is worth the cost, plus AMC seems to have really high tuition for some reason compared to other med schools.
My parents have told me that I should not worry about the cost and just choose where I will be happy . I agree with everyone’s opinion about better undergraduate college experience at RPI, and college experience and social life is something I have been looking forward to in college .

This is my first post
I am posting it for my son
Got admission to Drexel BS + MD 8 year program and also got undergrad in Boston University , Northeastern university for Bio
Which one do you suggest to go with

he wants to go Northeastern or BU for undergrad and then again look for med school
We are thinking that may not be wise as again he has to complete for med school after 3 years
Please suggest which will be a better choice
Both are giving some scholarship but not completely , but may shell down 40k per year for all the above schools

BU has some pretty harsh grade deflation, keep in mind.

@Cherax Thank you for your input , any ideas on Northeastern

@deci2019

As mentioned earlier, Drexel’s program is decent, but it’s up to you whether he wants to go direct or traditional route 

Congratulations on all admissions. Both BU and NE are comparable in rigor and tough. NE had acceptance rate of 19% last year and not sure this year. BU had 22% last year and 18% this year. So obviously both schools have pretty smart kids to compete with and the course work is rigorous. BU is known for grade deflation, but if your son has had a rigorous background in high school, no need to worry, he may be able to maintain close to perfect gpa there. BU is more well known reputation wise but the facilities are kinda old. NE has more impressive campus and newer facilities.

@rk2017,Thank you
Its been difficult to decide , one day S says Drexel , the next day Northeastern, not able to decide
One concern he has about Drexel , will he be surrounded by only party people or kids who will be serious in studies s well
do. not know anyone who went to Drexel BS+ MD , but a friend’s son went to Penn State 7 year program and doing very well now

@collegeboundxyz: Congratulations ! May I ask from which state are you ? What is she majoring in ?