Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Did you do the CASPer test, before receiving the supplemental from AMC???

@themedgirl1
If it enhances your application, yes.

@DSOF20192023
Stonybrook: I believe they take upto 10 students for BS/MD.

You need to apply to one of their honors program.

For girls who are interested in engineering, I would highly recommend applying to WISE program.

@rk2017 @grtd2010

Medical school ranking:
I would place a higher weightage on Residency Matches - both specialties and number of students from the Med school who get into that specialty.

If you compare, say, Northwestern with Jefferson, you will notice they have very comparable residency matches.
But ranking wise both a wide apart - one in top 15 and another around 50.

On the other hand, Hofstra (a relatively new medical school) shows a degree of skewness around internal medicine.

Ranking methodologies place a “high” weightage on NIH funding for research.

@diaash

UConn prefers in-state

@hoop897 I do not think Casper is required for supplementals but it is required for interview/admission.

@RedMan108

Thx for the info
 How did u receive the supplemental???

Got rejected @ BSMD Baylor
4.0 and 35 ACT, varsity sport & tons of volunteering + shadowing. :frowning: :frowning:

@hoop897- email

@blessed101 Sorry to hear that. By rejected, you mean, rejected by Baylor UG even before it’s considered for Baylor MD interview? How is it different from Rice-Baylor process?

Yes before the interview. this is what I got -

“After carefully reviewing the largest, most competitive selection of applications, the Selection Committee is unfortunately unable to offer you a spot at this Baylor2 Medical Track Program event.”

@RedMan108

see my reply above.

@blessed101 Your stats are excellent. Hopefully, you will get many more invites from other programs.

@RedMan108 - Can you please share the details on when you submitted penn state application? Myportal still says that the application is currently being reviewed. Wondering if its rolling?

For anybody who applied to BU, is it saying that you are still missing a bunch of material? In the portal I mean.

Did anybody else receive a Penn State rejection/interview offer? I haven’t received anything yet

@NoviceDad,

I am kind of baffled by the obsession of folks on specialities and residencies, think we discussed about it on the forum in the past. There is nothing wrong in kids opting for primary care areas on their own volition. I know a couple of students who went to Harvard and UPenn residencies for Internal medicine and cancer research and also a couple other who went to Ophthalmology and Radiology at Yale and UPenn. I don’t differentiate on what they chose and I don’t believe they either feel their self worth based on what and where they end up being.
The first two are extremely accomplished and stood at the top of their med school class besides many other laurels and could have gone into any other specialization of their choice if they wanted to. But they genuinely were interested in those fields and may land in to coveted fellowships like cardiology, hematology and such. It is better for someone to be a great, say an internist than say a sucky radiologist who doesn’t enjoy what he or she is doing.

Regarding NIH funding being a criterion for ranking, if any, is flawed since schools located in academically high concentration cities like Boston and Philadelphia all compete intensly for the same funding. In Boston for example medical reasearch funding will be split between MIT, Harvard, Tufts, Boston, UMass, Northeastern, all great research institutions. Whereas schools located in not so prime areas may have a relatively smooth sailing in NIH and other funding.

@bamd I think I applied sometime in 2nd or 3rd week of Oct.

@cherax I called BU couple days back and was told that they are 12-15 behind in updating the portal due to high volume. No need to worry if you sent everything.

I mean 12-15 days behind

@rk2017

I have no issues with a student choosing family medicine or internal medicine. Yes, if you want to do cardiology, you have to do internal medicine. Yes, it is always better in the long run to chose a career that you like, including specific medical specialty. I have no disagreements with you on these issues.

The reason to look at specialties is that they have limited seats and are hyper competitive.
If more students from a particular medical school are obtaining these competitive specialties, it may indicate the strength of their medical program. It is a proxy which in my mind is better than rankings which give weightage to research dollars.

My understanding of NIH is this (willing to expand my knowledge on this topic): research dollars are based on number of awards. Awards are based on research proposals submitted. Geography plays a limited role in that.
Some examples of Boston area institutions:

Beth Israel (Boston) had 239 awards
Boston University (Boston) had 423 awards
Children’s hospital (Boston) - 340
Harvard Med School (Boston) - 375
MIT (Boston) - 239
Northeastern (Boston) - 89

In short, these get ample funding.

Compare Northwestern - 737 awards with Jefferson - 162 awards.
Then compare their residency matches.

You can find more information on NIH funding here: https://report.nih.gov/award/index.cfm