Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@Metsfan7860 hello. thank you so much for your insight about Sophie Davis. it was really helpful. im actually in the process right now of applying to Sophie Davis as a transfer student. I got waitlisted at Sophie Davis for the class which started freshman year this fall 2018, and I didn’t get accepted. right now I am a freshman & premed student in a cuny college and am in my first semester. I wanted to apply again but as a transfer because Sophie Davis has literally been my dream school for so many years. I know some may say it’s really hard, but I’ve literally only wanted Sophie Davis for so long. I wanted to ask you, do you have any information about transfer students? Anything would be good. like, do you have any transfer students in your class, or do you know how many transfers get accepted?
Oh and also, how difficult would you say Sophie is? are the professors good? if you didnt take any APs, do you think the classes would still be easy?
thanks so much!

@gallentjill the CUNY school of medicine is a medical school exclusively for students who are accepted into the Sophie Davis bs/md program. the CUNY school of med IS an accredited med school though by the AAMC, which means it can grant MD degrees and produce qualified doctors, but the cuny school of med itself simply just doesn’t accept other ‘premed’ students outside of the Sophie bd/md program. all of its seats are just for Sophie students. as for residencies, I don’t know…!
but what I do know is, since the CUNY school of med DID become an accredited med school (in 2016 I believe?), it no longer REQUIRES you to go into a field of primary care, and you can specialize in other fields. @Metsfan7860 ?? :smiley:

yeah ofc! baylor is so hard :frowning: I heard rpi and uwash are pretty good tho. @nileshk

Hey guys! New here. From NJ, how many programs are you applying to ?

Similar question – how many Ivies are y’all applying to?

@DSOF20192023
I believe there 3-4 BS/MD programs where they ask/accept recommendations from non-teachers or non-counselors.
It may be worth asking the mentor’s recommendation for those programs.

For NJIT honors college, is there any additional advantage to attend the under grad interview in person Vs Skype? They are offering Skype interviews for students who are far away (more than 150 miles)

1 Like

@NoviceDad There are many that accept it, few that require it.

@bamd How did you learn about the Skype interview offer for NJIT Honors college?

@NoviceDad If we are applying through common app, do UG pass all recommendations to Med school? For many schools, there is a separate app and recommendation forms that need to be filled.

Also can we add recommendations after deadline? What is general guidance?

Looking for any leads or advice on preparing for interviews

@DSOF20192023 It is going to differ. You need to read carefully the complete instructions. Some programs, everything is given to program office from ug office, in some though separate application, transcripts and LOR gets a copy from ug to program office and in some need to send fresh LORs. Read to make sure you understand and follow the instruction. If not clear about a specific program, state that and some one can review and answer.

@diaash

1. Be yourself and calm. Make sure to review your application, your essays, specific prompts response of the program. It is natural since applying to many programs you may or may not be fresh with what you wrote for a specific program prompts. That is why it is critical to have a copy of that specific school program application and review. Because the discussions or questions going to come from what you have written, your volunteer experience or leadership or club activities etc.,
  2. Prepare for some of the generic natural questions, why medicine, why this BS/MD (than regular MD), why this specific school etc.,
  3. Assume some times it clicks (depending on the interviewers and topic the discussion started) and some times it gets tricky. So if you have few interviews, some may go to your satisfaction and some may not be to your favor. Don’t feel bad. All that you need is 1 school admission. Some times it can happen in Jan/Feb and some times it goes to the wire till April. Be patient and enjoy the process than hurting yourself.

@diaash Did you get interview/s from a BS/MD program ?

@vmt1975 , I heard back from njit honors accelerated program, I believe they have two interviews, this is with honors college and then they pass them to Njms for second interview.

@Ana2000 , got an email from NJIT honors college with an interview request - this is for honors college

@DSOF20192023
Agree with @GoldenRock - It is very program specific.
Example: UCinncinati needs separate Letters Of Recommendations (LORs) for undergrad and med application.
Most others are perfectly fine with LORs requested from Common App. A few would like LORs emailed to them directly bypassing the request from common app (e.g. BU).

Re: Adding Recommendations after deadline: If these were missed i.e. you did NOT request/send any LORs, I recommend calling the Admissions Office and working with them. They are the ones who will grant exceptions to missing a deadline.

If you plan to add to supplement existing submitted LORs, a question you should ask yourself - why do you want to do this? if there any substantial benefit of adding that LOR? I think most admissions officers do NOT want extra stuff but it is always better to call them and follow their guidance.

@Cherax @DSOF20192023
Last year, for BS/MD programs, we sent non-counselor, non-teacher LOR to just two places - Temple and Rochester.

@NoviceDad @GoldenRock thank you for your feedback.

@diaash
Adding to what @GoldenRock said:

There are generally 4 kinds of interviews:

1. One-on-One i.e. 1 interviewer interviewing 1 candidate
  2. Panel i.e. multiple interviewers interviewing 1 candidate
  3. Group i.e. 1 or multiple interviewers interviewing a group (~ 4 to 10) of candidates
  4. Multiple Mini-Interviews (MMI) i.e. short 8 to 10 interviews at different “stations”

I would recommend doing mock interviews.
Interview with your teachers, friends of your parents (the one you call uncles and aunties), relatives or other “known” “strangers”.
If you are comfortable with interviewing with your parents, enroll them in the process. (BTW - My kids do NOT want to be interviewed by me but my friends want their kids to be interviewed by me).
If you are in a situation where none of the above works, then explore PAID service providers - coaches who can help you prepare.