Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Thanks @NoviceDad

@NoviceDad any thing on Baylor/BCM, my S was invited for Balory2 Med and hopefully get an interview for BCM sometime early next weekā€¦hopefully

@NoviceDad thanks for your advice will be applying for Stonybrook Scholars for Medicine.
In the Essay part do we just put out regular personal statement essay or put " Why Medicine" Essay as there is no supplement to show interest in medicine apart from his activity list.

Thanks in advance

@sajju786 Responding based on my old memory 3 years back. So check web site and talk to them. The reason we backed out from Baylor program, it was expecting 2 in person trips, one to Baylor UG @Waco interview. Then it submits few students to BCM and then BCM will have interview Mar-Apr. It was very hard to skip class (especially coming from CA) 2 times for 2-3 days each and expensive. So make sure the process. We applied only to R/B.

@hoop897 and any others also researching traditional route programs,

Would like to draw your attention to one of the hidden gems in Boston area, North Eastern. If distance and climate are not concerns, and especially if you get any kind of break, merit based or need based, from their sticker price tuition, this may be a compelling proposition. While we didnā€™t explore this during Dā€™s admissions cycle, following are some facts I gathered subsequently. If interested, urge you to do your own research, analysis and due diligence if you still have time to do so.

• While their acceptance rate is low, 19% this year, it is not impossible to get in to like some of these so called highly ranked schools obsessed with "Tufts syndrome", that fill up a significant portion of their incoming classes with ED applicants to preserve their yield rates, making it highly challenging for RD students to get in.
  • Not grade deflated like neighboring BU so relatively easier to maintain decent gpa, but at the same time as @NoviceDad pointed out stresses your student sufficiently enough to remain competitive.
  • It seems they have excellent support system for pre med, or any professional track for that matter.
  • Even as they don't have their own medical school like many of their Boston based peers and garner relatively less number of research grants, the faculty seems to be involved in some phenomenal research in life sciences which students may get a chance to be involved with, which in turn can significantly increase their chances of getting into great med schools subsequently. They are very highly placed in the international rankings of Times higher (shared here by me) in the category of Citations (may be Per capita).

Thanks @GoldenRock we already went for Baylor2 Med event a 3 day deal and spent already $1000+ if we do not get a BCM interview it will be a waste :frowning:

@NoviceDad Thanks, one more small step towards getting admission.

Regarding Stonybrook, after 3 email exchanges, was told 6-8 admissions, did not give stats on how many applied and interviewed. Anyone know how competitive this is?

Also quickly checked common data sets of Emory and Northeastern for the merit based awards for 2017.
Emory barely gives any, just 55 or under 4% of incoming class got merit awards of 27k average. Northeastern was far more generous but with lower amounts though of around 20k to more than 25% of the incoming students. They donā€™t reveal how many of these are full rides, if any.

Tip to all. Always see ā€˜resultsā€™ thread of last 2-3 years. If some one got accepted to a school which you are trying to find, you may get a feel from that studentā€™s profile and reflection or you can post here addressing them.

@DSOF20192023 Coming to Stonybrook @NoviceDad D got acceptance and hence he may be able to shed some light.

My observation, it gives emphasis on competitive activities like awards in some major STEM tournaments / research . Possibly 4-5 (out of 8) goes to NY residents, or geographic locations (NJ, PA, etc). Very selective.

Thanks @NoviceDad @GoldenRock @rk2017 went ahead and applied to Stony Brook University - Scholars for Medicine Program :)>-

Whosoever have not yet received Penn State/SKMC interview, should they consider it a gone case now? Looks like their interview is in January.

Hi
Anybody has any info of Florida Atlantic University (FAU) Medpiplines program?

Hi @vmt1975 we also did not get an interview for Penn State/SKMC, I called yesterday they told me still reviewing,but few folks already got interview so donā€™t know if we will get an interview or not. :frowning:

@hoop897 @sajju786 @GoldenRock

Re: Stonybrook

Last year, Stonybrook ha supplemental application - to the Honor college and also for the Scholars for Medicine program. Please note, you HAVE to be admitted to one of their Honors program to be considered for Scholars for Medicine track.

My D was accepted for WISE honors program. We are out-of-state for Stonybrook.
Stonybrook is competitive. I do not recall the number of students that applied (we had asked one of the student volunteers). They had interviews on multiple days and I believe ~60 students were called for interview. Their intake is about 10 and they do have a waitlist.
They had NO sessions for parents. Our interview was after the residency match list day and we were impressed by their residency match list they had shared.

Location wise - Stonybrook is not easy to reach. Nearest major airport is JFK. Other NYC airports are La Guardia (LGA) and Newark. It takes about 2 hrs from Newark, 1.5 hours from LGA and anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours from JFK. It can take you 1 hour just to cross 2 miles from JFK.

Our doctor friens have a very high opinion of Stonybrook SOM.

@sajju786 - Did you child apply to Vanderbilt? you need to apply before November 15th to be considered for merit I believe.

@srk2017 Vanderbilt does not have a BS/MD Programā€¦

@Bigman1234, We are OOS state for Penn state, we are from MI.

Hi @cy2019bsmd You got interview for Penn State right?

I have not heard anything from penn state yet .

@DSOF20192023, we selected Premedical-medical accelerated program, and application sent on 10/28.