Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@NoviceDad Thanks! Do you know if I fail the requirements of WashU, can I still apply other med-school?

@rjqz18 In general a student can drop out from any BS/MD program and apply out (though you may loose the guaranteed seat at that specific school only). But best to call WashU and confirm this question. Here is the FAQ from WashU.

Is admission to the School of Medicine guaranteed?

To continue to medical school as a University Scholar, you will need to fulfill all entrance requirements. Your pre-professional advisor will work with you as an undergraduate to make sure that you fulfill the prerequisites for medical school. You will also need to maintain an overall minimum 3.8 grade point average (GPA) and achieve a minimum total score on the Medical College Admissions Test (equal to or above the 97th percentile). If your GPA or MCAT are below this minimum, your eligibility for graduate study will be up to the School of Medicine’s discretion.

@GoldenRock @NoviceDad WashU seems pretty tough 4 seats and then maintain a 3.8GPA and MCAT 97th percentile … WOW :-S

Still no word form Penn State shows application pending online and still nothing from RPI/AMC keeping fingers crossed and praying…

Called Boston University was told they will call mid December to mid January if invited for an interview to the BS/MD Program

Thank you all for the updates… We are waiting on Penn and RPI … No updates yet>>>>

@sajju786
Regular Washington University School of Medicine Avg GPA 3.89 & Avg MCAT 521 (99%)
BSMD GPA 3.8 and MCAT 97%
It is lower than regular UG route average ?

@redcloud17 Thank you! I applied to BU, Case, Union, UPitt, Rochester, St. Bonaventure and GW, and Hofstra. Brown PLME is the only other application I’ll be submitting (both regular and BS/MD). Honestly will probably will only consider Case, UPitt, or Rochester if offered admission b/c they offer merit aid for undergrad and money + a top med school is probably the only thing that’ll change my mind at this point but I guess I’ll think about that when/if the time comes

@onceand4all Congrats and you are in the right line of thinking on BS/MD choices. But note, Pitt you may (already got) get free tuition but in CWRU and Rochester, seen only partial merit aid like $10-25k / year.

I believe CWRU gives upto $30K/yr.

Good to know! Thanks for the input.

@onceand4all
any particular reason you chose Union as opposed to RPI despite your extensive research background. Also any reason Penn State/SKMC was not on your list? My son is a junior but just curious for next year planning.

Anyone know when CWRU bsmd info starts coming out? I’m dying… not having any movement in my apps :frowning:

@onceand4all,

Congratulations! BU does offer what is called Trustee scholarships, which cover the complete tuition for undergrad. Total awards 20 distributed across various schools and programs. It appears they cap it at 1 for this program. Presidential scholarships cover about 40% of the tuition and seems to be capped at to about 12-15% of the folks in the program (~twice the overall university rate).

@grtd2010, 3.8 gpa at WashU is much tougher than 3.89 GPA of the general crowd they accept to their med school.

@medgirl6,

Take deep breaths and relax and live.
If you are so stressed at this point, chances are you may not be able to perform at your optimal levels when and if they call you for interviews. Remember, emotional maturity is also one of the important factors weighed in and it can make or mar someone’s chances.

Expert for BU and Penn, there may not be much activity for the rest of this month/year.

@RedMan108 Do you mean that there is a low chance for getting interviews to these programs if you have not already received notifications?

@Dreamingteen3221

I meant, there may not be much activity (interview notifications) with other programs other than BU and Penn.

BU will start sending from Mid December and Penn already sent few and expected to send through rest of this month.

I was just addressing the concern from @medgirl6.

@RedMan108 Oh ok thank you

Anyone got interview from St. Bonaventure for BSMD? I got one today!