Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@onceand4all (and others),

Don’t let MCAT being part of requirement of the program deter you from applying and enrolling if selected. As long as they don’t impose sky high scores as WashU does. And perhaps very few others like Drexel with a high requirement.

In most of the programs it is just a formality. In case of BU the requirement is a 80 th %ile which I am pretty sure any one smart enough to be admitted to the program will have no trouble fulfilling, preparing all by themselves. In case of Penn State it is even more liberal, like 67% ile.

If you have other reasons to consider whether or not to choose a program, well and good, but let this not be one of them.

@collegeboundxyz - The Stevens/Rutgers NJ Medical School (formerly UMDNJ) is described on Stevens’ website (scroll down to Accelerated Programs):

https://www.stevens.edu/admissions/undergraduate-admissions/how-apply/accelerated-programs

Note the section on Accelerated Combined Degree Programs further down the page. I believe that if one is accepted to the accelerated medical program, promotion to RNJMS is automatic provided that he/she maintains an acceptable GPA in the first three years of undergraduate study at Stevens and gets an acceptable MCAT score (you should contact the admissions office and get the full details). In the accelerated program, one transfers to the medical school after completing the third year at Stevens - before receiving the BS degree from Stevens - and begins the first year at the medical school at what would normally be the fourth year of undergraduate school in a conventional program. After the first year of medical studies, Stevens awards the BS degree.

A friend of mine’s son was in the accelerated program. He had a 3.4 GPA at Stevens in the chemical and molecular biology program. I believe the accelerated program requires the chemical biology major, but many Stevens students have gone on to the medical school with a wide range of majors including biomedical engineering, chemistry, chemical engineering, physics, electrical engineering, etc. (the biomed and chemical biology syllabus includes the biology and chemistry courses that medical schools require as prerequisites, whereas other majors may have to overload those courses if they aren’t required in those regular curricula).

In the non-accelerated program, one would apply to the medical school in the conventional manner and would first graduate from Stevens after the fourth year.

We got RPI/AMC supplements today…thank God

@sajju786

Congrats! Now you know the prompts!

Anyone can share list of schools with NO MCAT direct programs

@sajju786

This morning my D also got Union/AMC email that today 5PM we can login and see prompts. So one more small step…

I have recently heard that certain combined BS/BAMD programs have a restriction on residency placement. Is that true and if so does anyone know which ones?

Shared in another thread. Should be a good reference for us to prepare for MIM format interviews.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20305174#Comment_20305174

@sajju786 and @DSOF20192023

Congratulations !!! and all the best for interviews.

@brown2024

Only certain programs have a distinct focus for residencies- as far as I know, no BS/MD programs have an exclusive restriction on residency placement.

Instead, programs like UMKC, Sophie Davis, etc. really try to push students to commit to a certain field (primary care).

Looks like Brown and NU take senior mid-year grades into account for finalists decision (of course, Brown has no interview). Any other programs that look for the mid-year report before sending out interview notifications?

@whitecane , did u hear about rejection after submitting Amc supplements or before submitting the supplements?

@diaash We did not receive AMC supplements.RPI notified to apply for undergraduate.Very unfortunate though.

BU portal shows that its currently being updated.

DS just received RPI-AMC interview invite. He submitted AMC supplementals around Nov 24.

AMC did not provide details on what to expect w/interview format (1:1. panel, mmi etc.). Any input/suggestions, please?

@@onceand4all (others)
If you are interested in BSMD programs for the sole reason to avoid taking MCAT, you are entering a wrong profession. Please do some soul searching before you embark on this journey.

@Engineer80 Thank you very much for the details on GPA, Majors…

Thanks @whitecane @GoldenStateDad will be working on the AMC Supplements have to submit in 5 days :smiley:

Congrats @GoldenStateDad for your daughter getting an interview invite to RPI/AMC… :)>-

Congrats @DSOF20192023 :)>-

Did AMC start sending interview notifications already?