Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

[QUOTE=""]

Penn State looks very tough - what is so unique about their program?

[/QUOTE]

@brown2024,

The competition keeps increasing … Penn State and Jefferson are both good brand names and one of the handful offering accelerated (7 year) programs. Also Jefferson’s location in Philadelphia is compelling. Based on what some one posted recently about 2018, I think ~3000 who were qualified based on their minimum requirements applied, ~800 were forwarded to Jefferson, ~100 interviewed, ~50 accepted and ~25 enrolled. So no need for anyone to feel disappointed facing such a high competition, it is perhaps more so, percentages wise, than some well known med schools in traditional route.

@rk2017 agree completely. Odds of getting most of these programs are worse than odds of Harvard. Our kids just need to be prapared with good plan B’s.

Just to give you how unpredictable these programs are, my S got an interview invite from Penn and RPI-AMC but is not forwarded to MD school yet from Drexel. Drexel did not decline/reject but it’s not forwarded as of today. So, if are seeing some activity at Drexel, enjoy the moment. Good luck!

@GoldenStateDad we did get Drexel Univ and forwarded to Drexel Med today…

PSU is out for us…

Forwarded to Drexel Med is not so important- what matters is whether or not you get a interview.

Based on what I remember from last year, Drexel gives out interview invites in waves- 4 to 5 different interview dates.

@sajju786 and others who moved forward at Drexel, Congratulations. While I agree with @GreenPoison that interview is what matters, you are one step closer to that ultimate goal.

@GreenPoison You are probably right, but given the tiny chances for acceptance at any of these programs, I’m just going to let D celebrate while she can.

@sajju786 Congratulation on movement at Drexel, Sorry to hear about PSU. You will win some and forget about the rest.
My DD got into Drexel BSMD two cycles ago. In fact, three students from her school were selected and two are currently enrolled at Drexel BSMD. You can feel a little India at Drexel campus.
@GoldenStateDad It is too early in the cycle to give up on Drexel yet. They have a long interview cycle as pointed out before.

Some movement on BS, D received call today from Boston University. Looks like they are going to send emails soon… for Interviews.

@Gjessi2020 It may take up to a month before you hear about interview. Meanwhile you have to pay a fee to Medical school to process your application like regular admission candidates do. No, they select from the applicant pool whom to send to Medical school.

@grtd2010 paid $100 yesterday

@pun2018 No, they select whom to forward to Medical School at Drexel UG office.

Anyone from California who moved forward at Drexel?

@sunitacarmen we’re in ca. My son app is forwarded to Drexel today.

@cy2019bsmd Congratulations! Yes, a phone call from BU is usually a sign to interview invite.

Out of curiosity, what was the call from BU regarding? @cy2019bsmd

Received an interview for Penn State Jefferson! Does anybody know what kind of questions I can expect on interview day?

PSU rejected and received the RPI supplemental today…

Did anyone else received BU calls?

@GoldenStateDad ,@zacharyGelfand, call from BU is to check availability for interview, hopefully we may get email with interview details soon.