Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@GoldenStateDad …congratulations to your DS and look forward to hearing the good news soon.

Thank you @sajju786 and @brown2024

Any info on Brown Alum interview my son got a call for Alum interview in Chicago…
I know Brown does not have interview for med school…

D got an interview request from AMC today. Anyone have any suggestions about what she should wear to an interview?? Thanks!

@gallentjill

Congrats. When did you submit the amc supplement? Which UG? Thx

@sunitacarmen She submitted on the 14th or 15th. I can’t remember – through Union.

@sajju786 Did RPI give you an option to move forward with UG admission?

@sajju786

Reg Brown: My S had one in November with Brown alumni. It was very informal at a local coffee shop and lasted about an hour. They will have very basic information about the applicant such as the school name, and possibly the UG major. The person interviewed my son did not know that he applied for PLME, or other details around his accomplishments/research etc. They try to see if the applicant can have a meaningful conversation with an adult for ~30-40 min. Read about the interviewer online (Linkedin, etc) and pay close attention if your son shares any common interests with the interviewer, and if so, expect some drilling in such areas (sports, music, dance etc.). It is not possible to prepare for these interviews as they are more of a conversation and evolves as they talk. No one really knows if these interviews will have any impact on final decision but I think they provide a good opportunity as a prep for the real BSMD interviews. Just ask your son to be relaxed and enjoy the conversation.

Still haven’t gotten anything from Siena/AMC…

got BU interview for Jan 28 and AMC interview through RPI and they gave me 4 days to pick. anyone know the acceptance rates for interviewees?

What does Non-Health Related Experiences mean on the AMC App?

BU acceptance for 2018 was 47.5% (38/80) from those invited for interview. In general the acceptance rate is 40-50% (from those invited for interview).

@sajju786 Good luck for BU interview. This whole BSMD process is a total crapshoot. You can apply to AMC (a non ranked school in US news rankings) in regular round if keen to go there. Your DS may have a better chance at UIC GPPA (in-state IL applicants only).

[QUOTE=""]

and RPI and not from BU and we got from BU and not from Penn and RPI… seems very strange process as to how programs call you for interview

[/QUOTE]

@sajju786, @bsmd1826,

As I mentioned earlier, BU looks deeper than mere numbers … I wish and hope the rest of the folks here who applied there will get interviews soon.

I am somewhat surprised that they accepted fewer than normal (~50 per year) and yet a higher percentage of those accepted chose to enroll, usually the ratio is around 50%. This time it seems 31/38 enrolled i.e. > 80% (similar to Penn State). So this may have some kind of impact on the acceptance numbers for 2019.

@GoldenStateDad
Congratulations

@sajju786
Congratulations

@gallentjill

Congratulations
Formal dress code for interviews.

For girls:
Suit jacket + pants or skirts (with leggings)
Light single color top

For boys:
Suit with white or blue shirt and tie.

Both: preference for Navy color suits.

Folks

Be prepared for lower yields this year.
Happened with Rice last year when they had higher than normal enrollments the previous to last year.

I can already assume PSU lowering acceptances from typical 50 to down to 30-35 and/or introducing a waitlist.

@brown2024 Here are suggested Plan A, B, C
A. Your DC should get the highest possible UW GPA and Standardized test scores. Complete all the usual medical related ECs. Apply widely (at least 10-12 BSMD programs) and then pray for at least one acceptance.
B. Please be open to applyimg via regular UG route if necessary.
C. Please plan for an alternate career path in advance like double majoring beside common Bio/Chem majors.
Choose a school where your DC will shine, not based on the glamour or prestige of the school.

@grtd2010 thank you.
For plan C - what would be some alternate career plans for a kid who loves Maths, Chemistry & Biology?