Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Anytime from January until March/April.

^^^ just a reminder to everyone, being forwarded to NJMS does not automatically mean you get an interview

Catch the thread late, good to see lots of familiar faces from last year.

@ GreenPoison…just keeping hopes high… :slight_smile:

@PPofEngrDr welcome…

@PPofEngrDr
Good to see you

Experienced members - If the interviews are held in the month of January (Penn, AMC, BU, UAB etc.), typically, when do they notify the results (accepted-vs-rejected)? Also, do they wait for mid-term transcripts from high-school after the interviews to make the final determination?

I think Penn doesn’t need mid term grades, AMC may bcoz of the perceived emphasis, true or false, on gpas. BU does need them, but it is a university wide policy, not sure if they factor it in their admissions to the program and clueless about UAB.

@rk2017 Thank you. It’s helpful.

To clarify, my question was:

1. In general, when can we expect the results if the interviews are done in January?
  2. Do they (again, in general, not a particular program) take senior grades into account? Are there instances where after the interview, someone was denied because of Senior year grades?

@GoldenStateDad,

Most of the results come out between early March and early April (based on my 2 year old knowledge)

Which programs care about mid term grades and by how much, is anyone’s guess. Perhaps it may have helped if you asked the admissions folks in person during campus visits if any (I did not during many of our visits). But even they may not know since it could be program specific and not overall school policy, or may not want to reveal.

My general impression is that mid term grades will not dent someone’s chances if everything else including the interviews went well. And if offered admission to a program or school, unlikely they will revoke it boz say someone got a couple Cs in their senior year mid terms. They obviously know the kids go through lot of pressure during this time, with standardized and other tests, applications, course load, school activities like sports and all and it is not too out of the world to lose balance during these 4 or 5 months. Unless something is severe and blatant like integrity violation etc, that goes on their transcript.

@rk2017… BU would take Mid-Term grades into consideration ???

Most likely, yes.

They ask for it, but not sure how much importance they attach to it during their decision making. I should have asked during my visit more than 2 years ago when we spoke to the assistant director of the program.
My gut feeling is, they don’t care too much. They may simply want to know about any violations on transcript as mentioned above. Since this profession cares a lot about it.

For those applying to AMC thru RPI, speaking as someone whose DC is in the program, they are not all about emphasis on GPA. Both GPA and standardized test scores are important but the quality and rigor of the research the student has done in HS is from our experience even more important. Also for those who are granted an interview be prepared to answer questions and discuss your research to a somewhat high level of detail that day.

@GoldenStateDad

In the case of AMC, if the interview is in January then you will be notified with accept, rejected or still under consideration in the very end of February or early March. If still under consideration (which is essentially a deferral) you will be given a final decision of accepted or rejected by early April

@rk2017 could you tell us as parents, what we get to do on the BU interview day… thanks

@Cherax did you get any interviews…will we be seeing you hopefully on BU interview day?

Thank you @Empire007 and @rk2017

Here is the date acceptance notification came for the 2016 cycle. Suggest some one in this cycle should prepare 2 lits. First capture the date whenever interview notification comes out with any notes (single blast or rolling notifications, feeder school interview notifications and dates etc). During 2016 cycle I did not realize and seeing in subsequent cycle every one keep asking the same. So help others for future cycle.

Here is the final posting. Did not get any details from any one who got or rejected from Rice/Baylor interview. But 2 folks notified me with 2 different dates. Lazy to update the number sequence due to late info on St.Bonaventure. But the list is in chronological order.

BS/MD Admission Notification as of 04/28/2016.

1. Univ of Alabama EMSAP - 2/2
  2. RPI / AMC - 2/29 (2 phase admission notification, second came on 4/5)
  3. Union / AMC - 2/29 (2 phase admission notification, second came on 4/5)
  4. Sienna / AMC - 3/5 (2 phase admission notification, second came on 4/5)
  5. Temple / Temple - 3/3 (10 offers from 32 interviewed)
  6. PSU / Jefferson - 3/4
  7. Augusta U/Medical College of Georgia - 3/6
  8. Cincinnati - 3/7
  9. St.Louis Univ SLU - 3/7 (Note: It is not a guaranteed program like others in the list)
  10. Univ of Rochester REMS - 3/7
  11. VCU Virginia Common Wealth Univ- 3/8
  12. UConn SPIM - 3/10 (Postal mail)
  13. St. Bonaventure / GW - 3/10
  14. NEOMED - 3/15/ Email. Also will get postal mail from NEOMED and one of the 3 UG schools.
  15. Northwestern U HPME - 3/18 Decisions came out
  16. Boston Univ SMED - 3/19 - Portal update
  17. Univ of Houston - 3/21
  18. California North State - 3/22 (Rolling since Jan end)
  19. UMKC - 3/23
  20. Hofstra - 3/24
  21. UTSA FAME - 3/25
  22. Brooklyn SUNY - 3/26 - Acceptance came on 3/2 - 15 accepted among 90 interviewed
  23. Villanova / Drexel - 3/26 (acceptance and rejections came out)
  24. Texas Tech UMSI - posted by someone on 3/27 but don't know the actual date the results came
  25. UTD PACT - posted by someone on 3/27 but heard results came on 3/10
  26. Lehigh / Drexel - 3/28 Acceptance via postal mail
  27. Rosemont / Drexel - 3/28
  28. Univ of Oklahoma - 3/28 - Acceptance Email
  29. Miami HPME - 3/29 - 19 students offered admission
  30. GW BA/MD - 3/29 - Acceptances are out on the portal.
  31. Sophie Davis - 3/29 - Acceptance and Rejection notification
  32. Drexel / Drexel - 3/30 - Both acceptance / rejection - In portal under Next Steps once you click on view status link
  33. Brown PLME - 3/31 - Acceptances on portal
  34. UIC GPPA - 4/1 - Acceptances on Portal
  35. Case PPSP - 4/1 - Acceptance and rejection emails sent
  36. NJIT / NJMS - 4/1 - Phone call for accepted students
  37. Stony Brook BS/MD - 4/2
  38. Monmouth / Drexel - 4/3 (Did this come out on 3/28 also?)
  39. TCNJ / NJMS - 4/4 Monday - Acceptance via phone call
  40. RMU / Drexel - 4/4 Monday
  41. UPitt GAP - 4/5 - Acceptance Email
  42. Rutgers / NJMS - 4/5 - Phone Call
  43. WashU USPM - 4/5 - Phone Call
  44. Rice / Baylor - 4/21 or 4/22 notification came (the interview took place on 4/15 Friday)

You will have interview with an undergrad professor in the morning and then medical school professor in the afternoon
for Boston.Each is an hour long-did not have any medical ethics, health care related questions.Interview carries a lot of weight for Boston.
For RPI,if you have interview in the afternoon, please do not fail to do the RPI tour in the morning.
Two interviews-with the program director in the morning[mainly discuss your research]and the other later with med school professor,They did ask medical ethics and healthcare related questions.