Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@gallentjill When did your DD apply to Hofstra?

@goldenstatedad As far as I understand, she got the supplement which means she was forwarded to Zucker. Decisions about who to interview will be made by Zucker in February. The supplement is Due Feb 1.

@ongnge She applied in October.

@gallentjill Congrats to your DD

I received an interview for PSU/Jefferson. During the interview phase, are numerical stats still considered for admission or is it just based on how the interview goes at that point? Iā€™m kind of worried as my stats are definitely subpar compared to most people who get interviews.

@vvtuav, once you reached interview stage, interview is the only decision factor. Your other stats will not be considered. Good Luck.

@vvtuav No one knows for sure. Possibility, Interview may be a significant factor for final selection, but whether it is 100% or 50% or 20% along with other factors which they have tabulated and ranked, no one knows and it likely may differ with each program.

Definitely your profile has attracted for an interview for a reason (though you feel your stat is low). So take advantage of that than worrying or speculating about the end result. Be prepared to talk about whatever you have written in essays or the activities which attracted. Be yourself.

@ongnge I donā€™t know if anyone has replied to your question about hearing back from Caldwell, but I got a letter in the mail yesterday ā€“ acceptance to Caldwell regular, they said I ā€œpassed the pre-qualificationsā€ for the BS/MD so theyā€™ve forwarded my application to NJMS.

Does anyone know anyone here who got admitted to Augusta BSMD program and their stats?

@ongnge do you mind sharing your stats/ECs so I can see how I compare; I am really hoping to get admitted.

@vvtuav,

Agree with @GoldenRock 's assessment and advice. Right or wrong, some have compared in the past the dynamics of the process here to ā€œKnock outā€ rounds thereby concluding that the interview is THE only and final factor ( prior ones being your academics, scores, ecs, research and all that as round 1, essays or supplements as round 2 and interview as the final). However it may not be true everywhere and canā€™t be generalized. For example if you refer to section C7 of BUā€™s common data set, it is mentioned interview as being considered but not either Very Important or Important. That gives an impression that it is one of the factors and not being THE factor. All programs and schools may not be so open about their policies so we never know.

Donā€™t let the emphasis on interview intimidate or overwhelm you (or anyone). Talk, think and behave as you normally do and that is perhaps the best way you can be effective. If you have reached this far I am sure you will do well whatever route you may end up taking, traditional or direct. So donā€™t worry too much.

Common data set (section C7)
https://www.bu.edu/oir/cds/

@GoldenStateDad,

All the programs BU, Penn State/Jeff and RPI/AMC are good. You may have to make a decision based on which one may be best fit for you and your interests and vice versa. If you have to refer to ratings in your decision making you may want to refer posts 606 and 607 in this thread (link below)

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21794414/#Comment_21794414.

Also you may not find a direct reference to AMC per se there, they may tend to associate with the bigger state University in the neighborhood (as in case of UCSF and UCB). So look for Albany instead.

@gallentjill

Did you apply early action II given you received the medschool supplement?

Any ramifications if we move to EA II? This is what we received from Hofstra this morning:

"We noticed that you have also applied for the Hofstra 4+4 Program: BS-BA/MD. To be eligible for this program a student must have received their acceptance to Hofstra, and returned the supplemental application by February 1.

In order to ensure your acceptance to Hofstra happens in time to consider your application for the BS-BA/MD program, we encourage you to join our Early Action II notification period. Not only will this allow the admission committee to start reviewing your application immediately, it will mean that you will receive your notification about acceptance to Hofstra starting January 15, and youā€™ll have enough time to return the supplemental application by February 1ā€¦"

EA (unlike ED) shouldnā€™t be binding, so should be fine.

@sunitacarmen We applied EA1, and receivied admission and merit award already. EA is not binding so there was no downside. It looks like their EA2 deadline was december 15, but if all of your information was already in maybe you can contact them and ask them to meark it EA? I think your best bet is to contact the college directly.

@gallentjill @rk2017

Thx

Thanks @redcloud17. My son got similar letter a while back, but it also says that my son is qualified so they will review the application and may contact him for the interview at Caldwell first before forwarding to the medical school. Iā€™m not sure if it is the same letter thought. I called the admission officer about BS/MD. He told me that he will let us know around Jan/2019. In your case, your son/daughter may be closer to the interview at the medical school than mine.

@123wz321 My son is not admitted to Augusta BS/MD. He only got the supplemental app.

If anybody is going to SBU interview and willing to share their time slot PM me

Received an email from Wayne State Med direct a couple of days ago saying they should have a decision ready for me by January 10. I am assuming that they are referring to the finalist decision and whether or not I will get an interview. Any insight on the quality of this program? Iā€™m aware of the scholarship benefits and its appeal to the disadvantaged, but anything else anyone can add beyond whats listed on the website?

does anyone know what questions are asked for the PSU interview? I kinda want to know the specific ones not generic ones. Thanks

@ZacharyGelfond,

My understanding is that Wayne State is a good program, refer to the links in post 1492 earlier and check out the strengths in various categories such as research, citations and teaching.

Having said that heard in the past about some sort of probation or disciplinary action by the accreditation board which you may want to research more on. If that is not a concern anymore, you are good to go :-). Also, bear in mind they have a very limited seats, like 10 or so may be very tough competition to get in. Good luck!