Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

I got my response for an interview at AMC within 2 days. If they haven’t notified you yet, it is either because the staff is on break for the holidays or you are on the waitlist for the interview if people decline. Most likely the former than the latter so don’t worry.

@glossylamp when did you submit the supplemetal to AMC???

@sunitacarmen, My D also turned in RPI/AMC supplemental on Dec 21, we didn’t hear back anything yet. I believe due to the holiday season the notification may delayed. Hopefully we should hear something first week of new year.

For the AMC summplental application, does anyone know whether the admissions office looks at common app (sat, gpa, etc) or do they solely rely on the supplemental application to determine who gets an interview.

@Nansand , @sunitacarmen My S submitted RPI/AMC on Dec 21, No response yet…

Dec 21st

Still haven’t heard anything back from AMC.

I submitted AMC supplement on Dec 17 and I got my interview request on the 19th

UMKC just forward my son’s app to MD.

@hoop897 My son turned in his supplemental application through Union/AMC on Dec/18 and haven’t received any response yet.

@Cherax When did you submit your supplemental application to AMC?

How did UMKC contact you @ongnge ? Also, they never sent me a supplemental application, or anything really…

@Cherax My son receive a print letter today. It says that my son is accepted to the undergraduate and all the application, test score… are forwarded to the medical school. I don’t think they will send you the application since you just go the web site and fill it out by Nov/15. I guess the next step is the interview invitation if he is lucky.

Ahh yes I received undergrad info a while back too. : ))

Best of luck to your son!

Any information regarding Rutgers BS/MD applications?

Do y’all think I should apply to Stonybrook? Is it a top-tier school worth applying to, basically?
No offense to anyone applying there of course. Also is it women only? I went on the website and it has the WISE thing which is why I was wondering…

Stony Brooke is known for being a strong research science-based university. They do have a WISE program, standing for Women in Science and Engineering, but I don’t believe you have to be a woman to apply for their MD program because they also have other similar group options. They are a competitive NY school and during my visit, I found they had good medical facilities and equipment. If you like a large campus within an urban location I would definitely consider it.

If I am not mistaken, Stonybrook program is one of those where the odds of getting in is practically zero. They take low single digits into the program with every other candidate applying to the school also vying for this program. It may be a wasted effort unless you have at least a perfect gpa to begin with (high school reputation and academic rigor not withstanding).

Go ahead and apply though time permitting, but better have scaled down expectations. By the way they have a great physics department.

I heard it’s a highly selective program, but I never quite understood the true benefit for students to apply to their ba/md. Also, is the official deadline for the prog Jan 15?

@medgirl6 @rk2017 @101study101

See my post #874 hours on Stonybrook.
WISE is an excellent program targeted towards girls interested in STEM.
For BS/MD program, you need to be admitted to a Honors program at Stonybrook.
The Medical School at Stonybrook has an excellent residency match list which places it in my list as a top medical school.

One issue for Stonybrook is it’s accessibility from major NYC airports - it can take up to 2 hours from JFK or LGA and >2 hours from EWR.