Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Post #874
Pardon the typos.

@101study101
Yes - Jan 15

Iā€™m just going to post my question again;

For the AMC supplemental application, does anyone know whether the admissions office looks at the common app (sat, GPA, etc) or do they solely rely on the supplemental application to determine who gets an interview?

Hello, is Stone Brook BS/MD program only for girls?

@Karim123 Iā€™ve heard they solely rely on CASPer scoreā€¦

@Greentree2000 Stonybrook BS/MD program is for freshmans, both boys and girls. But they must be admitted to one of the 3 special academic programs. Out of those 3, one is exclusively for women. First you should be admitted to UG, second should be admitted to one of the 3 programs before Jan 15 and also should have applied to BS/MD application by Jan 15th.

https://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/bulletin/current/policiesandregulations/special_academic_op/scholars_for_medicine.php

https://www.stonybrook.edu/sb/bulletin/current/policiesandregulations/admissions/freshman.php

@Cherax AMC / CASPer That is not true.

To qualify for selection must have completed submitting application and CASPer.
Unless some one has documented details, the selection is based on many factors including GPA, Test Scores, ECs, Essays, Interviews and not based on 1 factor alone.

http://www.amc.edu/academic/Undergraduate_Admissions/special_programs.cfm

Many colleges are trying out and wants to capture data (for stats) and make any future decisions.
Even in regular MD admission, this year, many schools started asking CASPer. But clearly they indicated it is for stats purpose. Also they continue the normal process of calling for interviews and giving acceptances. But before matriculating need to have completed CASPer in some schools (like UT MD schools, Miami Miller and many other schools).

General question, but do interview invitations for all the BS/MD programs come out by Feb? Iā€™ve heard that most of them come out in Dec (right now) and early Jan (and then results come out around April).

Thank you for the clarification!

@Greentree2000 From what Iā€™ve read, it is not. Itā€™s a co-ed program!
Edit: Oh sorry I didnā€™t reload the page to see that @GoldenRock had already answered!

@redcloud17 Each program has their own deadlines to apply, to call for interviews, send acceptances etc. It goes all the way from Dec to April end. The acceptance dates for 2016 cycle is captured and I posted few weeks back in this thread. You can do search by my handle to find that.

In general, UAB was the first one to provide acceptances and Rice/Baylor is last. It varies and may be some colleges give in Jan also acceptances.

Does anyone have a list of approximate notification dates (for interviews/ acceptances) based on past years?

edit: wow Iā€™m really smart def didnā€™t see @GoldenRock 's comment literally right above mine ooops

Has UAB sent out acceptances yet? I havenā€™t heard anything and I submitted my application by November 28.

A Friend told me BU started sending out acceptances for Bsmd program. Is that true??
I havenā€™t even heard about interviews from them, and my friend said she knows of someone who got accepted in the program.

@ZacharyGelfond Did you call VCU/get any updates as to how we are informed of honors college acceptance? Do you know anyone who already has and by what date we should receive it if we got in?

@123wz321 I will call them by January 4th and update you on what they say.

[QUOTE=""]

Friend told me BU started sending out acceptances for Bsmd program. Is that true??

[/QUOTE]

Very unlikely. Perhaps the friend mistook the acceptance for interview as acceptance to the program?

Sometimes people get overzealous in jumping ahead and concluding since once at interview stage, the probability of final acceptance is around 50%. This time that may be lower though, considering that almost 85% of people accepted to the BU program in 2018 chose to enroll (as against the standard expectation of around 50%). So they may accept even fewer folks this time and the probability of final acceptance getting lower.

The other possibility is that BU president may have gotten a phone call from this highest donor endorsing your friendā€™s acquaintance :slight_smile:

BU sent out interview invites for two days in January (25th and 28th) before they went on a winter break. Last year they did the interviews on 4 days inviting ~20 shortlisted students on each of those days. So, if you did not receive the invite, itā€™s not over yet as they will continue to send the invitations for other days soon.

@vvtuav

Reg UAB., no update yet on interviews, though they sent out UG acceptance long back (in Nov itself). From last year thread, I recall UAB sending out the interview invites in the first week of Jan.