Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@BigMan1234 Nope.

UMKC doesn’t require any SAT subject tests.

HPME (NorthWestern) requires 2 (Math2 and Biology/Chemistry)

UIC (GPPA) - For IL residents only - Doesn’t require any SAT subject tests

PLME (Brown) - Doesn’t require any Subject tests if submitting ACT; But requires 2 SAT subject tests if submitting SAT (with one of the SAT subject being in Science)

PPSP (Case Western) - Doesn’t require SAT Subject test

But if you have it and it’s not going to hurt submitting it. My son will be submitting his SAT Math 2/Chem scores with ACT.

Should you identify as an Asian or not reveal your race if given an option on college apps for both BS/MD and UG? Please suggest.

@RUA - Doesn’t matter. Your name will give the idea what race you belong to in 99% of the cases. Even if your name is Christian or American they also require your Parent details including their educational background.

Some of these things are not under your control, so my best advise don’t worry about what you have no control over -most of the process is fair (Yes, due to phenomenal number of Asian (especially high achieving Indian American applicants) in the medical field, if you are in that race you have to be in the top to get a shot at it unless if you have other excruciating circumstances or if you excel in sports.) Again Luck also plays a role.

Good Luck!

@WGSK88 True! Thank you!!

Wondering if I have any chance. Applying to UMKC, Case Western, WashU, BostU, Rochester, and RPI

Asain Male

UW GPA: 3.82
Weighted GPA: 4.2

SAT: 1500
Sat Math 2: 750
SAT Chem: 750
SAT Bio (M): 770

Extracurriculars:

• Co-founded a non-profit org that raised around $2000 for a diabetes Medical Camp
    - Was presented the congressional bronze medal award by my state’s congresswoman, specific to districc,
    because of this
  • Internship at Oregon Health and Science Univ
    - Worked in Skin Cancer Lab Junior Year
    - Currently working in Rhemuetology Department
  • Student researcher at a program which only accepts 50 per state
  • Eagle Scout
    -Co-Founder of school’s national honors science club
    -Science Bowl (Reached 2nd round of double elims and went undefeated in round robin)
    - -President: Science Olympiad
    - President: Biology Olympiad
    -60+ hours of doctor shadowing
  • Part of school’s NHS
  • 100+ Hours of volunteering at Hospital
  • 50 Hours of Red Cross volunteering
  • Team Leader of Radio in Speech and Debate
    - Placed 3rd in Districts
    - State Qualifier
    -Captain of Tennis Team
    - Ranked 15 in USTA for Pacific Northwest

Expecting good recommendaitons from my Biology and English Teacher. I know my GPA is really low for 7 year programs, but do my EC’s comparatively compensate for them. I’m also applying to other lower-tier, if you will, BS/MD programs.
Thanks,
Karim!

@Karim123 RPI has a heavy emphasis on research. If you can get a paper/abstract/poster out of your internship you will have a better chance.

Is your hospital volunteering clinical (i.e patient/doctor contact) or working at the information desk etc? Clinical volunteering is good inspiration for essays.

Also, I looked at the website for RPI -can anyone confirm that the 7 BS/MD can also turn into a 10 year BS/MD/ Ph.D if entering with significant research experience?

For my current research internship, I’m planning on creating a poster of the data we are collecting and the significance of the results. However, since most BS/MD’s deadlines are in fall, I’m not sure if I would be able to complete it by then.

In regards to my hospital volunteering, I would say it was a mix of both helping out patients and working at the information desk. However, I did shadow a doctor so I have somewhat the “clinical experience.”

Also, I was looking at RPI and it says it requires something called CASPR tests. Does anyone know how hard it is and if RPI requires any minimum score?

@Karim123 - this is the first year RPI/AMC is requiring the CASPR test, so there’s not a whole lot of information out there in terms of how they are going to incorporate that score into their admissions process. There are a lot of online resources and practice exams for CASPR, so you should spend some time with those resources in the weeks leading up to the exam!

As a west coast Asian male your chances are slim except at RPI and UMKC. You have good research and medical experiences. It may come down to your essays. As a reference, my son applied 2 years back and he has perfect stats, and he did all the science activities you did but he has national recognition in all them and state recognition in speech. He founded similar non-profit and raised more money. He applied to the same list except UMKC and Washu, only got interviews to RPI and BU. Both offered him in their first list, but declined to take full-tuition scholarship at Vanderbilt and very happy with his decision.

Good luck.

@srk2017

Difficult to generalize like that. I know a student from 2 years ago with not so good stats in anything except gpa and ACT who made it to a prestigious 7 year program in the east coast. The only thing which may have benefited the candidacy that I can think of is perhaps the geographical diversity, being from North West.

In my D’s class the largest contingent of 5 or so are from CA. Of course CA is a big state though.

@Karim123,

While your stats are impressive, they are not stellar. On face value mid 750s in subject SATs may look fine, you need to look at the percentiles and the sum of average and standard deviations. Also having great ACT scores in BCPM subjects may help to some extent.
I think in your case, need something rock solid to have the admissions folks take note of. I would also recommend you to research on schools ideal for traditional route approach.

Below is a link which you and others may find useful.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/noodleeducation/2018/05/21/getting-accepted-into-a-direct-medical-program/#1382c1a3b1e9

I meant great AP scores in BCPM subjects above (not ACT)

@rk2017 - I know I am generalizing, but setting expectations lower.

@rk2017 - Which school does your D goes to?

I do not think we qualify for need-based aid. Should we still apply for FAFSA? How does applying for FAFSA impact merit-based aid? thoughts?

You can if you want. FAFSA doesn’t impact merit-based aid whatsoever. I knew for a fact that my family wouldn’t qualify for need-based aid, yet I still did since my parents encouraged me too. The application is pretty easy, and takes less than 30 minutes as long as you have your tax forms.

Thanks @GreenPoison

@anesthesia2021 My stats are in last year’s results thread.

Where we can get BS/MD stats of last year, for each college?

@WGSK88 - Would it hurt my chances if I never took the tests? I just haven’t gotten around to it and none of the programs I am applying to require them explicitly.

@BigMan1234 If they don’t require then you don’t need to worry about the SAT subject tests! The reason I told is if you have them it’s good to submit especially if it’s 750 to 800. Very Less number of people take these SAT subject tests and most of them who take are very good. For example, My son scored Math Level 2 - 800 but it states 79 percentile! So, the percentile is very skewed (They also put a range 770-800 is 79 percentile!). His SAT Chemistry was 750 and it states (71 percentile and range is 730-770)!

Good Luck!