Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@CurleyFries

Thanks. My DS RPI/AMC interview is on 01/18.

I haven’t received any notification yet from AMC and I submitted the second application on 12/18. I applied through Union. Is that normal?

@kyrietonyk

AMC conducts interviews on a rolling basis. They are yet to release February/March interview dates and respective shortlisted candidates. Good luck!

Does vcu only send out interview offers or do they also send pre interview rejections to those not on the shortlist? Essentially, should we expect an email from vcu whether or not we are selected for an interview?

@ZacharyGelfond I saw couple of people receiving honors college admission from VCU, is that any kind of indication ?

@bsmdseeker2019, I think there is no connection between honors college admission and BS/MD interview for VCU.

@CurleyFries nope, rpi/amc.

RPI/ AMC dates offered were jan 7, 11, 14, and 18

AMC invites more candidates in late March based on the number of acceptances from their initial list. In 2017, DS received acceptance email on March 6th and declined on March 19th (BU notification came on March 18th).

@srk2017

Would you mind sharing why you picked BU over AMC? Of course, city and campus are in BU favor, but I thought AMC provides better research opportunities in addition to financial aid (I believe BU does not give much merit-based aid to BSMD)

@srk2017 Does that mean candidates who to get to interview early with AMC stand better chance than ones who interview in late Feb or March?

did anyone else hear from BU? are they still sending out interviews?

@bsmdseekerskg The VCU GMED program is administered by the Honors College, and so admission to the Honors College is required for getting into the GMED program.

Reg VCU, based on last year, the interview invites might come out tomorrow (2nd Wednesday of January) and/or on 01/10. I do not recall seeing the interview rejection letters from VCU.
Good luck if you applied to VCU.

When would one expect to hear from the UCONN, Hofstra and University Of Rochester BS-MD programs about interviews/rejections etc ?

@GoldenStateDad,

While we will wait for @srk2017 to come back with his response, BU is a research powerhouse, both at the university level and the med school. True, they don’t give out too many merit awards for undergrad (AMC doesn’t too for the med portion). You can explore the discussions regarding this on post #15 and some more. But they do give financial aid generously (need based).
D knows student (s) of current batch who let go their undergrad full ride at in state accelerated med program to join BU’s with no awards. Likewise high school valedictorian(s). The quality of undergrad experience, the location and the reputation pull in a lot of good kids. The enrollment % age of accepted students into the program was close to 85%.

Do we get rejection letters or something? How would we know if we aren’t selected from the first round?

Just received an email that I made the finalist for Siena/AMC. They selected 33 finalists and 12-14 will be ultimately accepted. Interviews will take place at the end of January and beginning of February. Good luck to everyone prepping for the interviews for all the programs out there! We’re almost there!

@florendo

Based on last year’s experience-

Last year AMC interviewed RPI/Union candidates on the same day on Mondays and Fridays most weeks, January through early March. One half of interview day was spent at AMC itself then the other half touring your undergrad college. Friday’s AMC interview morning session and undergrad tour in the afternoon and mondays it was vice versa, if I remember correctly.

Siena interview is usually last week of January and first week of February usually Monday to Thursday for about 8 days. Main interview held at Siena by a panel. Then tour of Siena and tour of AMC. Siena gives you a beautiful elegant lunch between interview and tour.

You get to also informally speak to current program students at the undergrad and AMC and some faculty on the interview day.

RPI/Union AMC post interview decisions are on a rolling basis. Some get accepted, still under consideration, rejected by Feb. then another set end of March early Feb. decisions are not always on the same day.

Siena sends acceptances by second or third week of March, all at the same time, I believe.

Based on our experiences it really did not seem to matter when you were interviewed when it came to acceptance. Three kids from the same day my daughter interviewed in beginning of March were chosen for Union. Two kids from same day were chosen for Siena from the last week of January.

Good luck to you all.

@GoldenStateDad @srk2017’s DS is attending Vanderbilt UG on Full Scholarship. He did not go via BSMD route. Check out BSMD applicants college experience report thread