Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

Just as clarification, last year AMC allowed application through more than one feeder school. That policy is changed this year.

To anybody wondering about the interview dates for AMC, the schedule I saw shows the last interview date as March 11 with interviews on every Monday and Friday until then. I would assume these are interview dates for either Union/AMC or RPI/AMC candidates.

We sent the online medical supplement Dec 20th to AMC (for Union/AMC). Have not heard back either way. Do interview notifications come via email or phone? Anyone in the same boat and has contacted AMC to check on next steps or is this likely going to be a rejected given so many seem to have revived interview invites to AMC/Union and AMC/RPI? TIA

Anyone else hear back from UAB and Caldwell/NJMS? I got an interview for NJMS :slight_smile:

Thank you @rk2017 Itā€™s interesting to see your perspective of BU being Tier 1 (similar to NU, RB etc)

@grtd2010 I thought it was @PPofEngrDr DS who went to Vanderbilt UG. Did not knew that @srk2017 DS also opted for UG over BSMD.

Did anyone receive additional information from the GW BS/MD 7 yr program after applying in Dec?

Also, what letters of recommendation did anyone submit?

@GoldenStateDad here is thread where our kids college experience report.
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/1989563-bsmd-applicants-college-experience-report-p5.html

My DS is NU UG Freshman, @NoviceDad DD is NU HPME Freshman, @srk2017 DS is Vanderbilt UG Sophomore,

@redcloud17 congrats! I too got an interview for NJMS, do you know how strong of a program this is, and what they focus on in the interview?

@pun2018 Did you apply through Rutgers Newark? I still have not been contacted in any way by them.

@BigMan1234 I applied through Caldwell and recieved an email today afternoon

@brown2024

As @rk2017 and @GoldenRock have indicated these are schools that are very comparable and factor in overall cost, undergrad strength, research opportunities, location and your unique conditions.

At this point, focus on grades, applications and later interviews.

Note both SBU and Hofstra undergrad appear to be relatively less rigorous.
That may tilt your decision one way or the other.

Medical school wise GW is established school while Hofstra is new school - I believe 2014 was the first batch of medical students that graduated.

Re: Hofstra

• Hofstra is a relatively new program but has access to 22 hospitals in the Northwell/LIJ system Which gives you access to research facilities and doctors
  • last year, our Hofstra interviews were towards end of March (after the match day)
  • I could not find Hofstraā€™s match list online. I cannot do any residency specialty assessments without the list
  • They had shown us the match list last year during the interview day but I do not have a copy
  • A number of students had matched to the LIJ system and students do their third year rotation within the LIJ system
  • they had a very well organized session for parents during the interview day and we were impressed
  • they have an innovative approach to their medical school curriculum focused on disease centric learning ( I cannot compare how good or bad it is with the traditional approach as I am not a doctor)
  • my D liked the medical school but totally disliked the undergrad atmosphere. She thought it had a party school and casual atmosphere and most undergrads she spoke with only talked about easy classes, parties and fun.

Re: SBU/GW
We did not apply to SBU/GW mainly due the less rigorous nature of the undergrad.
We applied to GW/GW but later withdrew.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations to all who received interview calls

@pun2018 and @redcloud17 ā€¦Congratulationsā€¦did you guys apply via Rutgers Newark, we applied and also had an initial telephone interview with Rutgers Prehealth counselorā€¦did not hear back form NJMS regarding an interview or any update yetā€¦
How were you notified?

@NoviceDad https://medicine.hofstra.edu/images/students/students-match-day-2018.jpg here is the 2018 Hofstra match list. Thoughts?

@sajju786 FYI. NJMS continues interviews through Feb.

Thanks @grtd2010 ā€¦hopefully my S gets an interviewā€¦we are very hopeful after the initial telephone interview with Rutgers Prehealth counselorā€¦

@Cherax and All

I think we are getting ahead of ourselves.

Right now, the focus should be

1. complete all pending applications
  2. prepare for interviews if invited

All medical schools that are accredited are good schools.
The relative ā€œrankingsā€ is again relative and subjective.

Worry about those when you have multiple acceptances and are deciding which school to accept.

Apart from ā€œrankingsā€, a number of other factors - cost, undergrad strength, location, and your unique situation will determine your final decision.

Till then it is just a theoretical exercise.

@sajju786,

I have posted a few interview tips which I think are appropriate in the ā€œBoston BS/MDā€ thread in response to your question.

@GoldenStateDad could you PM me? Iā€™m not a junior member but Iā€™m going to PSU in 1/16