Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

did anyone hear back from ucincinatti connections??

Thanks @rk2017

post by @Roentgen in UMKC thread on Residency Match List

So one thing I would say is that evaluating a medical school based on just one match list doesn’t give you an accurate view as to the quality of the medical school. Even in the traditional application process in evaluating med schools you get acceptances to, you shouldn’t do this. Besides the fact that quality of medical school education is so much more than just one match list, each med school class can have its own characteristics and traits which dictate which specialties people decide to pursue and which ones they are able to match into.

In general, you want to go through several years worth of match lists to notice trends. It’s difficult for those who are high schoolers and premeds to do this as you don’t know what to emphasize and can misinterpret even the particular programs (i.e. Johns Hopkins Bayview or Johns Hopkins Sinai is not equal to Johns Hopkins Osler). Primary Care is defined as Family Medicine, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, sometimes OB-Gyn depending on the source, although obviously many in Peds and IM may end up eventually subspecializing thru a fellowship.

@pun2018 I don’t know much yet, but I’m planning to research the interview. GENERAL QUESTION FOR EVERYONE: do you know if this is a typical college interview, or more like a med school interview?

@sajju786 and @BigMan1234 I (also) applied through Caldwell. I got an email about a “preliminary interview.”

@redcloud17 Who is interviewing ? Caldwell or NJMS. If Caldwell, it is NOT a medical school interview at all. You will not get into NJMS without an interview with them.

@remroll, University of Cincinnati decisions will come out on Jan 18th - info from their website.

@grtd2010 The email said preliminary interview for NJMS, and the sender said he is the coordinator for “NJMS interviews here at Caldwell.” He also mentioned another, “interview for a final decision”; perhaps that’s the NJMS/med school interview?

@redcloud17 This is a Caldwell interview to shortlist candidates that are forwarded to NJMS.

@grtd2010 Ah, all right, thank you :slight_smile:

@GoldenStateDad Can you please PM me instead? I am not a junior member yet

@Cherax Thanks for sharing the link! It looks impressive for a fairy new Med school.

Has anyone been to AMC interview yesterday? If so, any advice to share with the rest of us?

Has anyone applied to W&J /Temple or WilkesHonors-FAU Medical Scholars program ? if so, have you received any interview dates ?

@anxmom18 Yes; I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying I did not get an interview for W&J/Temple.

Good luck to your child!

@glossylamp

It could be conflict of interest and our best bet would be seniors who attended those interviews last year.

I rarely get any advice even from known people, who are competing with us :slight_smile:

May be I could be proven wrong.

GL everyone who applied for VCU (per earlier posts VCU is expected to send interview emails today/tomorrow).

@NoviceDad Thank you for your response and advise - greatly appreciated. The only reason I ask ahead of even applying next year (my DS is a Junior) is to see if it is worth the trouble of visiting and applying at all.

@GoldenStateDad @NoviceDad My DS will be attending interview soon. We are first time apply to programs like this. How should my DS prepare/advice?

@SnowDad,

Guess this is your first time on the forum? Coincidentally I had just put some points together for a specific program on a different thread, perhaps you may be able to apply some of the generic suggestions from there! Sharing the link below for your convenience.

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21906536/#Comment_21906536

@SnowDad and others preparing for interviews.

I wish I could share more but it’s our first year too and I am learning with you all.

1. I suggest you confirm the format before the interview.
  2. Regarding format, for instance, AMC has a group interview, UAB (and VCU and a few others) are MMI. Just google MMI for more details.
  3. You could do mock interviews or ask your family/friends to help with mock interviews.
  4. I also noticed that alumni interviews helped my DS gain some perspective/confidence. So, if you have an opportunity, attend them.
    5)In general, be prepared to talk about the essays, EC’s and anything else that was shared on the application, along with of course, research.
    6)There are ethics and other social/interpersonal/maturity questions that no can really prepare. Just be relaxed and be yourself.
  5. Why this school/program, medicine etc will most likely be asked

Thanks to @rk2017 and others who provided great insight into these programs.

Good luck!

Did anyone hear from VCU yet?