Turing Class of 2026

Oh, hopefully they aren’t done releasing decisions

1 Like

Since the Feb one is virtual, I get the sense they may release decisions right up to the event. I suppose the timing would look different if folks that were admitted had to plan an in person trip on what would be short notice.

Yes, I think that’s true. The registration for the online event ends on the 21st so they might release a few more before then and then the rest of the decisions late feb/ early march

Thanks for the information. I just reminded my son to register.

1 Like

Is it worth attending UT Computer Science without Turing? Decisions are around the corner and I am trying to decide if I should keep UT in scope or look past.

Yes UT CS is still a top 10 cs program

1 Like

Congratulations!! Was he referring to the Turing specific essay, general essay or both?

aspirations/career goal I wrote about in my Turing specific essay

Yes. UT CS is a top notch program even without honors. It is possible to get into Turing later on also.

Has anyone completed their CSB interview already? Also, do you think that the interviewer will know that this is for CSB?

My son has his in just a few minutes and the email sent to him specified that the interview is for CSB. It also seemed like he got one from someone that actually works at UT McCombs and not an alum. Will post back shortly when he finishes.

Edit- Easy 15 min interview about why CSB, experiences in HS, etc. pretty similar to other college interviews but much shorter.

4 Likes

D22 got into turning scholars. Her CSB application is still under review and she did not get an interview email yet. Wondering if many students are still waiting for a CSB interview.

2 Likes

That is great! I think CSB is behind on interviews. In our case we haven’t heard about Turing. My S asked details not found on the website. He wondered what degrees were offered via CSB and how much flex they afford in the curriculum for CS related electives. He wants to work in AI/Machine Learning long term. Students get 2 degrees from the program and there is flex for electives. Separately he will look into the curriculum to see if there is a disadvantage to those that are purely CS come internship time.

2 Likes

Congratulations to your daughter! When did she interview? Thanks

1 Like

Thank you. No interview for Turing.

1 Like

D22 got into Turing and MET at Berkeley( EECS). How do you compare these two programs? Appreciate any insights.

(Writing this from the perspective of a CS major, may be a bit different if the MET program provides something special that you really want. However, you can get an entrepreneurship minor at UT and there’s even a special CS class where you make a startup. Also, I am a current Turing Scholar, but I did my best to avoid bias in this. )

If you’re in Texas, it’s a no-brainer due to tuition difference. If you’re in California, it’s a tougher choice as you can get in-state tuition after a year at UT. Even though I lived in California, I didn’t apply to Berkely because I really wanted smaller class sizes and the ability to connect with professors. At Berkely, class size for the first year (and beyond from what I hear) are in the hundreds. At Turing, your core CS classes will have 50-65 students. Dr. Lin (Turing’s director and professor for data structures) knows everyone’s name on the first day of class. However, the program doesn’t have as much prestige as Berkely outside of Austin/Texas, so if you just want to get a degree and nothing more Berkely could be considered the better choice (assuming you live in Cali). Turing will give you many opportunities to get more than just a degree, though. You have so much more freedom to take the classes you want and get into research labs. For example, there are five Turing freshmen taking a graduate architecture class this semester. I doubt that ever happens at Berkely. Being a Turing Scholar can get you considered for just about any lab, and you even have to write a thesis to graduate. There’s a lot of other aspects to consider, those are just some of the top ones. I’d highly recommend coming to goto_Turing, our event for admitted students, on Feb 28th (online) or March 28th (in-person). You’ll learn a lot about the program and get to meet a bunch of current students. I’m sure Berkely has lots of admitted student events as well.

TLDR: IF you’re a Texas resident, cost makes UT the obvious choice. Otherwise (in my opinion), it mainly comes down to if you want to do more and take advantage of special opportunities while in college or just walk out with a (slightly) more impressive degree.

2 Likes

How to get in-state tuition after a year at UT?

Texas residency laws allow you to become a resident after a year if you “establish and maintain domicile.” There are a few ways of doing this, the easiest being to register and operate a business in Texas. They’re pretty lax on this, general rule of thumb is >$200 income a month, so a simple tutoring or web dev business is fine. There are also a few miscellaneous things like getting a driver’s license and registering to vote, but nothing too difficult. Lots of people in Turing have done this and can offer advice on the process. Additionally, the UT residency office is on your side and will happily answer any questions you have.

2 Likes

Thank you so much.