UA Bedding Catalog / Deal

<p>Ikea - great idea! So would you go Twin regular or Full/Queen and let it hang down a bit on the sides?</p>

<p>waudio - my D was in a dorm with regular twin beds. Many of the girls used a full/queen comforter, especially if they weren’t doing a dust ruffle. I would also think a regular twin comforter would be ok on the twin xl bed if she had some shams, a study buddy pillow, or other decorative pillows at the head of the bed. Good luck!</p>

<p>If the bed is going to be pushed up against the wall, I am thinking a twin, if not a full. Ikea’s twin mid weight comforters are $19.99ish, duvets 19.99 and up including pillow case. Not too excited about their pillows, they pack well, but they are kind of high. Maybe if you bought the really expensive ones, but I have a hard time buying anything really expensive at Ikea.
Are there any Ikea’s near 'Bama? They have a lot of good storage stuff. I have found that Walmart has caught up though, I bought several things when we moved via site to store. I assume they have that at the local Walmart, right? That could be one good way of ensuring they had what we wanted in stock, but you have to time it right as they won’t hold it forever.</p>

<p>Many of the girls used a tension rood with a curtain attached as a bedskirt…</p>

<p>We did the tension rods for the bedskirt and used zip ties to hold them in place. Gotta love zip ties!</p>

<p>ldinct~ I believe the closest Ikea is in Atlanta. I so wish we had one in Alabama!!!</p>

<p>Thanks for all your interest in my DYD site. I hope to have a photo bucket link posted by tomorrow night.</p>

<p>IMO whether you want a twin or full or queen depends on what is going to be under the bed. my DD has her desk/dresser/nightstand under the bed, so a long quilt would get in the way. if you were putting just your dresser and other plastic dressers under the bed, i would think it would get in the way, as well. if you are going to store things in tubs/cases of water etc, i would thing the long quilt would be an awesome idea. just kind of depends on how you plan to set your room up.</p>

<p>Well, my son has his bed lofted really high, so even though his dresser and lots of other stuff are under the bed he can use a full comforter/blanket without too much overhang. If I bought him a smaller twin blanket it would be like a throw for his 6’4" frame.</p>

<p>The common room was never decorated this year as only two students really used it. There was a TV and those two played video games. The other suite mate rushed a frat so he was never around and my son’s schedule left him little time to hang out in the suite. But most boys are not interested in decorating the common room anyway. I did however buy a better shower curtain and liner and matched the bathroom rugs to the shower curtain. I just picked a masculine striped pattern and that worked well. I do suggest extra sheet sets so if they get busy and can’t wash a load of sheets you can always have a clean set. I bought four sets and extra pillowcases.</p>

<p>We were given this good tip for sheets. When originally making up the bed you can put on a set of sheets and then put another set over that one (repeat as desired). That way when the student takes off a set to do laundry, another set is ready to go!</p>

<p>Typically a fund raiser for the school, Diane! Bed Bath & Beyond or Company Store. </p>

<p>Extra Long Twin sheets are easy to find in July or August. </p>

<p>Wait until you get the cute little “send your kid care packages for final exams” mailing.
Another fundraiser for the college! Do your own care packages!</p>

<p>Momofonly1: Great tip! We do that with pillow cases, we put several on the pillow so you can have a clean one when needed. Also plumps the pillow up nicely.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info on the ‘great’ bedding deal. We’re coming from San Diego and I am planning on purchasing his dorm supplies in AL. I see there is a Target store near the campus - does anyone have any other suggestions?</p>

<p>Also, I’m assuming there is a way to ship things to the campus for our kids. Does anyone know how soon we might be able to do that?</p>

<p>maybe someone can post a link to malanai’s move in procedures. </p>

<p>bamasd - </p>

<p>there are various ways to get your things there. you can do site to store from walmart and pick up at walmart. or you could ship to the paty package center.</p>

<p>same with bed bath and beyond. you can order stuff from them and then have it shipped to the closest store.</p>

<p>same for best buy. buy online and pick up in tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>of course, some of these may offer free shipping with a certain amount, so you may also be able to have things shipped to paty for free. then you just pick them up when you get there.</p>

<p>amazon prime is good for free shipping, as well. college kids can get it for free i think. good to have when kid needs something. then you just order from amazon and have it shipped directly to your kid.</p>

<p>lots of people buy printers and have them shipped directly to paty.</p>

<p>some people have also purchased a hand cart and had that shipped to paty to help with the moving of packages. </p>

<p>if you want to buy everything when you get there i think i would at least pre shop at home so you know exactly what you are after when you get there. for me, i think it would be too hard to buy (and remember and find) everything the kid needs in just one or two days, but i am sure it is possible. some things will be in short supply in college towns.</p>

<p>i am not sure how early you can ship to paty. i think there may be a limit.</p>

<p>Thanks - I didn’t think about having items shipped directly to the local store.</p>

<p>Mike: did you mean Momof3boyz packing instructions: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/889722-packing-tips-out-state-students.html?highlight=paty+shipping[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/889722-packing-tips-out-state-students.html?highlight=paty+shipping&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks RobD for providing the link. A little planning does go a long way. Parents, i strongly urge you to get your student involved in collecting items that should be packed and sent ahead of time. Other wise, you may be expending a lot of energy and resources gathering items your student will never use or not even realize you packed items they don’t even know are right under their nose. If your homes are like mine, there are many items already in your home that do not need to be repurchased. Look under the bath room vanities and junk drawers for the tucked away desk supplies and almost full tube of anti fungal ointment. Initially I would send the Purex all in one laundry sheets that are detergent and fabric softener in one. They are light weight and will not leak onto other items you ship. </p>

<p>I purchased transparent storage bins that are slightly smaller than a shoe box with the lids that have locking tabs and a flexible handle that lies flat (allowing you to stack). This size is great for a designated 1) “first aid” kit, 2) hardware/tool kit, 3) office supplies. A portable file tote is also advised. My son keeps his warranty papers, medical/insurance information, financial/legal documents, etc. Review this with your student. Many students may not know what type of paperwork to keep. This is also a good place to keep receipts for book purchases. If for some reason they purchase a book for a class and decide to drop or the instructor selects a different book, your student will know where their receipt is and have no problem exchanging the book.</p>

<p>well, i meant malanai, but i knew there were others that had some instructions, too, i just didn’t know who!</p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>I’ve kind of forgotten but it seems you can pre-register your medical insurance info at the health center…</p>

<p>Things that can be done at BamaBound or by mail to get you started -</p>

<p>Set up a PO Box, (PO across from the SupeStore downstairs in the Ferg.) just make sure and remember regular Post Office hours.</p>

<p>Alabama Credit Union (main floor Ferg)</p>

<p>Medical Forms, shot record = online. Fill out and fax back or bring to Bama Bound.</p>

<p>Have items shipped to BB&B, Target etc., for local pickup at move-in.</p>

<p>If still available in Fall, sign up for FREE amazon prime account with a college student email address. Can still be used with your existing acct., doesn’t have to be linked to your child. Gives you free shipping to Paty on most items :)</p>

<p>Hit Costco in Hoover on your drive in to campus. Better yet coordinate this with roommates and buy t.p. for the whole semester!</p>

<p>Once your schedule is finalized, order books online for pickup at the SupeStore in the Fall. Alternatively, order from amazon used, whatever - and have them sent to Paty.</p>

<p>echoing comments re: decorating the common area in guy’s suites. Not much of that going on for DS last year, a few throw pillows and things for the wall suffice.</p>

<p>SIDE NOTE - I bet the washing machines will be packed during move-in, since many students had to get out quickly and didn’t get some things washed. Also assuming the U will have rooms cleaned given that most kids didn’t get to their showers, carpets etc.</p>