UFE Selection Process

<p>Given the number of UFE-related threads that crop up around this time of year every year, and the stated anxiety (and in some cases disappointment) of prospective UFE members and their parents, I wanted to offer up the following unvarnished opinion on the UFE selection process to provide some perspective:</p>

<p>1) The sheer numbers are against you – There are 500+ freshmen in each class at UA that meet the Presidential Scholarship minimum qualifications for applying to UFE. That does not include the number of qualified candidates that apply to UFE but do not end up attending UA. That also does not include candidates who do not meet the minimum qualifications but have a school counselor or UA faculty member nominate them (I will touch on that later). With the prestige of UFE and the incredible benefits of the somewhat mysterious “Academic Elite” scholarship, it is likely that a very high percentage of those meeting minimum UFE qualifications end up applying for UFE, regardless of whether they have a true passion for service. Some on this board have estimated the number of UFE applicants to be at least 700+, and in some cases more than 1000. Most every applicant has outstanding stats and strong EC’s. All competing for 50-100 phone interviews (semi-finalists?), a maximum of 40-50 campus interviews (finalists?), and probably a maximum of 25-30 actual Fellows. Your odds are not good.</p>

<p>2) You are likely competing within your own sub-group – To take the applicant numbers a step further, it is likely that UA desires to have Fellows represent a broad cross-section of the student population. Even if the most qualified UFE candidates were all OOS, white female business majors, it is highly unlikely that UFE would select a group of all OOS, white female business majors. To some degree, UA likely allocates Fellows spots to ensure a broad cross section of gender, race, academic discipline, and in-state/OOS status.</p>

<p>3) It helps to have “a hook” – Candidates have limited opportunities to stand out in the application process – a resume, an essay, and a letter of recommendation. As stated previously, almost every candidate has strong stats and a long list of EC’s. But what is needed is something that makes you stand out. In my opinion, traditional school organizations and activities are likely discounted in the process, regardless of the leadership skills or service commitments that were actually involved. They are viewed as not “sexy” enough. On the other hand, individual & small group foundations or charitable actions are viewed as unique and help get one noticed, somewhat regardless of the true community impact, leadership demonstrated/developed or commitment required.</p>

<p>4) The UFE selection process is limited and can be political – A resume, an essay and a letter of recommendation is a fairly limited selection process for such a prestigious program. The vast majority of candidates are never spoken to or seen in action. Candidates can be eliminated from consideration based upon their essay, and in some instances, that sole determination is made by a freshman Fellow who has been in the program for one semester. On the political angle, the fact that a student who doesn’t meet the minimum qualifications can still be considered for UFE if a counselor or UA faculty member nominates them opens up the selection process to all sorts of political influence. I would argue that a “lesser qualified” candidate recommended by an influential counselor or faculty member may stand a better chance at selection than most candidates.</p>

<p>An example of the at times political nature of UFE selection is captured in this quote from Dr. Morgan (Director of UFE) about one Fellow – “We have interacted on a number of occasions — I have known Jane Doe since her sophomore year in high school,”</p>

<p>While this Fellow may have been eminently qualified on paper and Dr. Morgan had known her for several years, I would argue that they erred in selecting Jane Doe, as she was one of the students that had to resign from the SGA Senate for doctoring applications for First Year Council.</p>

<p>The purpose of my post is to share some opinion (albeit likely viewed as non-PC by some) on UFE selection. To those not selected for UFE, do not let that rejection define you or set you back. As many on this forum have pointed out, there are countless opportunities to use your considerable talents to positively affect UA and the community at large.</p>

<p>*1) The sheer numbers are against you – *</p>

<p>That’s a biggie. UFE is getting 700-1000 apps each year from high stats students.</p>

<p>I love reading thought-provoking, outspoken posts! Having nearly a year behind us in this process now, it is insightful to review how I (as a parent) and my S (as a potential student) felt at that time. I was very critical and cynical of comments made suggesting potential students have “face-time” with Honors College staff in order to help them get known. They could do this through Capstone Day or Honors Day, or any number of private interviews on campus, prior to UFE selection. As someone who is not a boot-licker, I understand the widespread practice of politics in selection for various things…but abhor it. Question for ya: are servant leaders born that way or can they be made?</p>

<p>My son knew it was a long shot hence there was no surprise nor disappointment when he wasn’t selected.</p>

<p>As far as life being fair, it isn’t, so better to learn it early and life and accept it or else you’ll end up being a bitter person.</p>

<p>And for being a boot licker, my father taught me that the boss isn’t always right, but the boss is always the boss. So I keep the boss the happy.</p>

<p>Sent from my SCH-R760 using CC</p>

<p>Thank you for your insightful post on the UFE selection process. Your comments are very consistent with my knowledge of the process and reflect many of my concerns about the program and make me wish that UFE was something students applied for during their second semester at UA. The descriptions of internal politics during the selection process seem to support the allegations of regional bias in UFE selection as it’s very unlikely that students from far away states would be as well-known to the selection committee. </p>

<p>Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree with the statement that UFE (and CBHP) should not be the be-all-end-all in deciding to attend UA. There are so many other options at UA besides those two programs. It is quite possible that a student may be more happy and successful in a different program. In many ways, I’m glad that I was not selected for UFE or CBHP as I have found other programs and activities that better suit me. </p>

<p>It’d be nice if UA expanded UFE into a voluntary service program with a small class component and opened it up to non-honors students. After all, some of the most dedicated servant leaders are not those who immediately shine on paper or have the test scores and GPA to qualify for honors. </p>

<p>aeromom, I do not know if servant leaders are born, made, or a combination of the two. What I can say is that a lot of potentially great servant leaders are willing to help others, but don’t necessarily have the resources or connections to do so. One of the biggest factors is access to reliable transportation; many students don’t have automobiles on campus and there are no reliable public transportation options to the areas where help is most needed.</p>

<p>I will be candid- I am stunned to find out that it came down to who you know. I was ok with my kid not advancing, although I will admit to being surprised. The interview went very long and I could hear through the phone line their reactions and so knew it went quite well. Alabama was the top choice- until this. I don’t know what to say about the situation other than I am now so disappointed in UA that I think I will urge consideration of the other choices. </p>

<p>I could have lived with their being better candidates chosen- but not with better connected candidates being chosen.</p>

<p>axomom, Before you totally discount the whole school on one experience, just take a step back. My D was not selected either, and there is really no way of knowing the cause. It could have been that her stats weren’t high enough, or it could have been her expressed interest in being a part of other activities at UA other than just fellows, or it could have been they had enough white female business majors, or it could have been they just knew some of the other candidates better. With a group that is all high achieving and with really high stats, the decisions are going to come down to intangible things. I think with the mandate this program has, and the pool of candidates, I would be hard pressed to be able to say that any of them are more qualified than the others. Whether we like it or not, politics and personalities play a roll in life. Sometimes to our advantage, and sometimes not. I promise, the UA experience is much more than just this one program.</p>

<p>My S didn’t apply to either UFE or CBHP although he was invited to apply to both…they just didn’t seem to appeal to him and he is a math/science kid who wasn’t interested in writing essay’s and going through interviews when as Bull87 states the sheer numbers were against him…that said my son has numerous friends who are in UFE and CBHP and they are all from OOS so I don’t know if I agree with the statements above about regional bias.<br>
My son know’s several fellows from Missouri and California (at least 4 or 5) and I believe there are only about 35-40 per class? He also knows several CBHPers from Ohio and Chicago…
Just my 2 cents worth…</p>

<p>Whoa! My son is graduating from high school in PA, and he doesn’t know anyone in AL. He is a finalist for UFE, and I really don’t think Alabama’s Gov took time out from dealing with a hostage situation to make sure that my son was selected as a finalist for UFE. Unless one of you is integral to the selection process for UFE, I think most of this is speculation. I am very proud of my middle class, poltically unconnected child for being selected as a finalist, and I resent the implication that anything other than his test scores, grades, recommendation letter, committment to extracurricular activies, and 100+ service hours spent building homes for indigent people got him this far!</p>

<p>Just to be clear, I stated that the UFE selection process CAN be political. Are there outstanding Fellows with no connections to the program or UA, who were selected based solely upon their accomplishments, essays, recommendation letter and interviews? Absolutely! Are there also Fellows who were given preferential consideration because of a relationship with someone in the program or a recommendation from an influential counselor or faculty member? Yes.</p>

<p>In my opinion, the UFE selection process could be improved greatly by removing any potential financial incentive to be in the program. Currently, the most financially rewarding scholarship by far at UA is the “Academic Elite”, and those are only awarded to UFE members. I believe that this leads to a significant number of UFE applicants that are chasing the money, as opposed to being driven by the true purpose of the program - servant leadership. The fact that potentially 1/6 of all incoming freshman apply to UFE (and likely a very high percentage of those who meet the minimum UFE qualifications) lends credence to that belief. This results in the sheer number of applicants overwhelming the selection process.</p>

<p>I also like SEA_tide’s recommendation of delaying selection until 2nd semester of freshman year. This would allow the program to see potential member’s servant leadership in action.</p>

<p>I am sorry that I don’t know the numbers/percentages, but there are many OOS students in both the UFE and CBH programs. It is always a disappointment when our students are not chosen for any program/award/scholarship, but please do not discourage your students from trying. Do not discourage them from continuing to keep UA as their first choice because UA is so much more than just these two programs. If you were a UFE candidate and are truly interested in service to your fellow students, the university and to the community as a whole, there are so many volunteer opportunities that are available. Take a careful look at the UA website and look into all the on campus organizations that are open to students. There are environmental groups, volunteer groups, political groups, there are mentoring programs and so much more. Once school begins though, your students may find that they do not have as much free time as they would like to do all the activities including volunteer opportunities.</p>

<p>Teacher24- Thank you so much for your post. As I had said, I am ok with more deserving candidates advancing and that sure sounds like your son. But when Bull87 made his post, I understood him to be saying it was all about connections. Thank you for sharing your son’s story as it has reinforced our previous opinion on UA.</p>

<p>Since we have lots of very strong connections at child’s #2 school - if it was all about connections, then I was going to say go for #2.</p>

<p>^^^the world operates on networking. I can’t argue as to whether UFE is about this or that.
However, I do know that my student is OOS, had very limited ties to UA (she participated in Capstone Summer Honors), shines much more in person than on paper, and is currently a Fellow. Of course, she met every one that she could during campus visits, always followed up with a Thank You note and kept her interactions sincere. Is that a bootlicker? I don’t think so. It’s putting yourself out there and making the most of every single situation. At times, it was very difficult to reach out when she felt like she “didn’t know anyone.” That didn’t stop her. Did she feel like a complete idiot sometimes? Probably but never a failure. A good self-assesement is probably your best teacher.
If your boss is offering to put in a good word for a position and you know you are just as qualified as the next, why is that so wrong? I guess I’m sort of dumbfounded that parents get “so ****ed off” when their student is not “the chosen one.” A huge part of how your student deals with rejection comes from “home”.
I believe a sincere congrats goes a long long way. Something to the tune of; “Wow, what an honor to go xxx far in the process. That’s a great achievement and a valuable learning lesson for the many opportunities that you’re going to face down the road.”
Versus: Well, screw them. Their loss that they didn’t choose you. If I were you, I would be considering XX now.
We have met some wonderful families, from all over the world, through UA. Believe me, I will encourage my daughter to utilize those resources now and in the future. I think it’s called networking, not bootlicking. If that’s advantageous to some, that’s called the game of life. Welcome to the 21st century.</p>

<p>My son did not apply for UFE. However I think networking or bootlicking( A phrase I hadn’t heard before) was around before the 21st century.:)</p>

<p>I think we can all agree we want the best for our kids and riprorin is right, life isn’t always fair. No matter what the process was for UFE there are many more qualified kids than they could possibly select.</p>

<p>Well said, asaunmom.</p>

<p>Ugh. I came looking for helpful info as my son made UFE finalist.</p>

<p>We are OOS, have no ties to anyone at UA, and never got the taste of leather on our tongues in this process. We did attend CSD but if there was networking going on it was him talking to other students to find out more about them and what they’re all about. Other than let the honors college know he was attending CSD, he’s had no other contact.</p>

<p>Like all other kids eligible for UFE, he’s smart and has worked hard to get the grades and test scores he has and is proud of that. Beyond the academics, he has spent hundreds of hours in the service of his community - cooking weekly meals from scratch for shelters, tutoring disadvantaged inner city kids, implementing sustainable practices in his school, and on and on. I’m extremely proud of ALL his efforts.</p>

<p>Additional financial rewards for Fellows? It makes sense to me to find a way to reward those students who unselfishly contributed to society, and yes, quite possibly at the expense of a little GPA here or an SAT point or two there. Athletes get scholarship for their skills, is there less value in helping teach a child to read or providing a home cooked meal for a battered wife and her children?</p>

<p>I would hate to think a UFE finalist might stumble across this thread and come away thinking the distinction they were just awarded was perceived by others as the result of schmoozing or favoritism.</p>

<p>Your son sounds like a great kid- and someone I hope my child meets if they both end up at UA. I tried to reply to your message, but I don’t have enough posts to be able to send a message.</p>

<p>Good luck to him and keep us posted!</p>

<p>I completely trust UA to make the right decisions for its UFE spots. They’ve been doing this a long time and they know what they are looking for and have been highly successful with their choices. Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Did I suggest that UA pick UFE’s based on ‘who you know’? NO. I said (and what I mean to be clear on is) that I did not like the suggestions made last year, by some on this forum, that it would be beneficial for students to use their time on campus to become better known to HC staff, thus (implied) increasing their chances for UFE selection. Networking =/= (does not equal) bootlicking. UA can see through obsequious behaviour.</p>

<p>I agree wholeheartedly with the comments that several of you have made that it is an amazing achievement in itself to qualify to apply (and/or get nominated to apply)…and those who have reached the next step are to be congratulated…and those who have not are merely at a fork in the road at UA, not in any way at a dead-end. UA has such incredible opportunities for ANY one who seeks them.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>There is a huge difference in a student expressing interest and setting up a meeting in which to speak to a UA official about a program that student is interested in vs. being a “bootlicker”</p>

<p>Becoming better known, be it through a face-to-face meeting (which will always be the best) or a scheduled phone calls or series of emails is not bootlicking. It’s expressing an interest in a specific program beyond the regular application process. Not only is there nothing wrong with that, I applaud the students who have fortitude to make those personal connections.</p>

<p>“On the political angle, the fact that a student who doesn’t meet the minimum qualifications can still be considered for UFE if a counselor or UA faculty member nominates them opens up the selection process to all sorts of political influence.”</p>

<p>Bull87, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Per the official website, the official qualifications are to either be automatically eligible via 32 ACT and a 3.8 GPA OR be nominated by a high school counselor or a UA faculty member. Either way, once they clear that bar, the applicant is deemed the univeristy to be qualified, and to suggest otherwise smacks of academic elitism. Ms. Brewer made it abundently clear that the only academic standard that must be cleared is to be a member of the honors college, beyond that, only service and leadership are considered. In our short time in this community, I’ve seen quite a few folks pontificate on how the university chooses it’s fellows (i.e. no chance for an OSS student, etc.), only to see those theories proved wrong time and time again.</p>

<p>As well, showing interest in a program is not bootlicking. If a student is interested in a program and expresses that to the university, that’s just good common sense and a good life skill. At this point, the only really gracious thing for any of us to say is best of luck to this year’s semifinalists!</p>