UMD Class of 2025 - Banneker/Key and other scholarships

I’m starting this thread for all UMD’s scholarships discussion and hopefully provide helpful info for future applicants.

Below are some link to previous scholarship’s discussion:

Banneker Key Nomination 2024

UMD Banneker Key Scholarship and Other Aid - 2019

Here is the link to UMD’s scholarship page:
https://admissions.umd.edu/finance/freshman-merit-scholarships

Also, a very good summary of scholarship from SoofDad: http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/t/thoughts-on-university-of-maryland/2803419/2?u=ttb1263

2 Likes

do i have a chance of getting any merit aid if I wasn’t accepted to the honors college? I got invited to the FIRE program if that counts for anything, and im out of state.

I don’t really know, since UMD does not have the automatic merit offering based on GPA and/or test scores. One thing for sure that they don’t give out lots of merits like other schools and the amount is not much either, except for the Full Ride Banneker/Key.

Good luck.

I think that you would not be eligible for the Banneker/Key Scholarships since you were not selected to the Honors Program, but I think the other merit scholarships are still an option. Here is the link to the UMD Freshman Scholarship Info:

Freshman Merit Scholarships | UMD Undergraduate Admissions

1 Like

Does anyone know when information about scholarships will come out?

From UMD: " candidates for merit scholarships will receive an email notification by March 1."

From last year, Banneker’Key invite notification came on on 2/09/20 and they started sending out scholarship email on 2/26/20. So maybe they will follow the same format releasing the B/K invite on second week of Feb and merit email on the last week of Feb.

Good luck !

2 Likes

Thank you so much and good luck to you too!

1 Like

my son got invitation today

What form was the invitation in? Was it by email or mail?

email

Do you see the invite inside your portal too?

Thanks! Are you in-state or OOS?

My son is in state, he can see in portal

1 Like

Do all the B/K invites go out at the same time? I’m wondering if no email/portal change tonight means not a candidate. :slight_smile:

One of the statistics of the Bannekar/Key scholarships missing in earlier years’ threads is that 2% of all applicants get the semifinal notification – ie are selected for full or partial B/K scholarship. UMD has about 35000 applicants.

1 Like

My friend and I go to the same school. He got a 1400 on the SAT and mediocre ECs while I got a 1520 with pretty decent ECs. He got the scholarship invite over me, so I’m not really sure how they select the top 2% of candidates.

Hmm… 1400 is on the lower end for B/K. Did he apply to a more unusual major? Did you apply to a Limited Enrollment major? B/K isn’t just about stats. If he is your friend, be happy for him!

Oh yeah for sure. I’m super happy for him. He applied for architecture and I applied for CS. We both got our desired majors. I guess architecture is sort of obscure.

Sorry, lots of CS majors gets passed over for Banneker Key. Architecture is a more unusual major.

Has anyone OOS heard back yet?