University of Alabama Admissions for Fall 2023

Fergie - have a kid there; and D23 is looking. i’m on the parents pages; and it seems so few received scholarships there based on the competitive process. So really, well done to your kid!!

1 Like

This is probably better suited for parents who already had kids at UA but has anyone ever been successful negotiating for extra scholarship/merit money based on offers from other schools? DS just got his merit offer from LSU and it was higher than we expected, putting it a chunk less expensive than UA now. Plot twist!

1 Like

UA does not entertain scholarship negotiations

1 Like

is your kid a high stats kid but not national merit scholar?

UA wont negotiate.

However, we learned from experience that sometimes random scholarships appear (from admissions) we had an extra $4K per year handed to our son; we were surprised but it made all the difference. (in feb of 2020)

2 Likes

I had heard about those random scholarships but don’t understand them LOL. Can you share more about that? What were his stats and what was his initial scholarship offer before the extra 4K?

For reference, he had a 1410 SAT which put him at the UA Scholar level. If only they used superscores. He tried to get the 10 more points on the SAT to qualify for Presidential, but didn’t prep enough.

here is an old thread about a scholarship given in february, 2020 to kids. pretty much none of us knew why some kids received them; some didnt. Bama is strict about rules on scholarships; if your kid is up to it, he can try through feb i think to just get one bit higher on that score.

1 Like

Unfortunately there are no more SAT’s until March. There is an ACT, but he really did not do as well on the ACT.

I thought this would be the place to post- we are heading to visit UA in April with S24. We have an afternoon tour scheduled. Driving from ATL where we are staying at a hotel. Any must see/must do on campus or surrounds? Think we will eat lunch before the tour which is at 1:00 pm I’m pretty sure. Thanks.

1 Like

I am looking for this Capstone Scholars Day and cant find it. I believe we would like to make the trek also and was also thinking about a basketball day. ( for my daughter and same reasons as you) When? Where is the info?

1 Like

We got an email back in December. (Dec. 2 for us) Check your emails that come from Bama.
Unfortunately, we can’t make it down from the upper mid-west.

1 Like

I received the email about it on December 2.

You can reach out ASAP to your regional recruiter to RSVP. Hopefully, there is still space available. The basketball game is at 3pm, so you would miss the tail end of the program (but at that point, we would be ready for a break!). I would check ASAP to see if any tickets are still available. They were $35 on the UA website.

Jan 14 @8:00am-4:30pm

Preliminary Schedule Below:

8:00 – 8:50AM CHECK-IN | The University of Alabama Student Center, 2nd Floor
Upon arrival, you will be greeted by Staff and receive your materials.
9:00 – 9:10 AM
9:10 – 9:35 AM
WELCOME | The University of Alabama Student Center, Ballroom 3rd Floor
KEYNOTE SPEAKER | The University of Alabama Student Center Ballroom

9:40 – 10:30 AM SESSION I
Group A | Research Tide Talks | Student Center Ballroom
Group B | Mock Lectures | Student Center 3rd Floor Various Locations
Lecture 1 “What is Afrofuturism?”
Lecture 2 “What is a Book?”
Lecture 3 "Mindfulness, Artistry, and Improvisation in Life”
Lecture 4 “Skeletons in the ClosetAstonishingly Alive”

10:40 – 11:30 AM SESSION II
Group A | Mock Lectures | Student Center 3rd Floor Various Locations
Lecture 1 “What is Afrofuturism?”
Lecture 2 “What is a Book?”
Lecture 3 “Mindfulness, Artistry, and Improvisation in Life”
Lecture 4 “Skeletons in the ClosetAstonishingly Alive”

11:45AM – 12:45 PM
Group B | Research Tide Talks | Student Center Ballroom
LUNCH | The Fresh Food Company/Lakeside Dining

1PM – 2:30PM EXPLORE YOUR COLLEGE
College of Arts and Sciences
Culverhouse College of Business
College of Communication and Information Sciences
College of Education
College of Engineering
College of Human and Environmental Sciences
Capstone College of Nursing
School of Social Work

2:40 – 4 PM

3PM – 4:30PM
PARTNER PRESENTATIONS | Student Center (Various Locations)

2:40 –3pm
Housing & Residential Communities
(Rm. 3108)
Student Engagement & Advocacy
(Rm. 3114)
First Year Experience
(Rm. 3107)
Fraternity & Sorority Life
(Rm. 3104)
Education Abroad
(Rm. 3111)
Honors Year One
(Rm. 3700)

3:10 –3:30pm
(Rm. 3108)
(Rm. 3114)
First Year Experience
(Rm. 3107)
(Rm. 3104)
Education Abroad
(Rm. 3111)
Honors Year One
(Rm. 3700)

3:40pm–4pm
(Rm. 3108)
(Rm. 3114)
First Year Experience
(Rm. 3107)
(Rm. 3104)
Education Abroad
(Rm. 3111)
Honors Year One
(Rm. 3700)

Campus Tours (optional) | Student Center 2nd Floor

3PM – 4:30PM Housing Tours (optional) | Ridgecrest South

Good luck!

1 Like

This is just what we need. D23 found the offer in her old email. Now we are on a waitlist. I may try begging the recruiter.

when is Capstone Scholars day?

Saturday Jan 14

17 families on waitlist :face_exhaling:

There’s an admitted students day on 1/30.

2 Likes

All 3 admitted students’ days are full: Jan 30, Mar 6, and Apr 3. Not even accepting wait list registrations at this point.

Don’t lose hope just yet! They want the national scholars to enroll, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they make room for the 17 families to attend next weekend, or even have another Capstone Scholars Day in the future. With so many national scholars who decline their offers, it seems logical that they’d entertain all interested students in hope of landing some of them.

1 Like

Yikes. We haven’t even scheduled a visit yet, and Bama is tied for S23 first choice right now. We couldn’t make the Capstone Day date. I guess his visit will have to just be independently, but that never goes as well. Ugh.
Thanks for the information though! I guess I should schedule something before everyday tours fill up also.

My son is a NMSF and was accepted to Alabama several months ago. I see there is mention of a deadline for competitive scholarships this month. Is this separate competitive application needed if son becomes NMF? If he becomes a NMF he just lists UA as his first choice? Anything else we are missing? I don’t think he needs to worry about the competitive application right as long as he is just wanting the NMF package?